It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
(female)

drcaryn HB User
ring finger that is very painful to bend

I'm not sure what to make of the pain and loss of flexibility in my left ring finger. It hurts to keep it straight, and it hurts even more to bend it. Also the joint closest to the palm is enlarged. Doc had me splint it for four days, but that hurt much more. Is it a Bouchard's node, or something else, and can it be treated? Help please.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: ring finger that is very painful to bend

Bouchard's nodes are actually bone spurs on the outside of the finger joint from osteoarthritis. they don't usually inhibit movement(mine don't) and are more visually a problem. Diagnostically, doc's use Bouchards and Heberden's nodes to diagnose OA over RA in the finger joints.

This could be almost anything when it's one joint. Could be tendinitis of the finger tendons, joint inflammation or infection, or the beginning of something else like RA.

Is there redness or swelling in the joint or along the finger anywhere?

Having had bad tendinitis in my hands, it actually sounds more like tendons on the palm side of the hand. Splinting and heat have helped me with the tendon problems. If the heat makes it worse, try ice. It can take time for an badly inflamed tendon to calm down and it can come back so watch how you use your hands.

Let me know how it goes and what you can see on that finger.

hugs.............Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
drcaryn (12-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
(female)

drcaryn HB User
Re: ring finger that is very painful to bend

Thanks Jenny,
I actually think it is tendonitis. I've used splinting and heat and Aleve, but when I unsplinted for a shower, boy did it hurt MORE! I think I'm going to try ice and more Aleve, and try to have patience. Do you know if physical therapy, exercise, would help? Maybe it is an inflamed tendon in my palm that's to blame. There is no visible "node", but there is painful swelling of the joint closest to the palm. Can't get my wedding ring back on Again, thanks for your help.
Caryn

Closed Thread