It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #16
(male)

rugmankc HB User
Re: Bilateral Basal Joint & Carpal Tunnel Surgery

cheryl

i had block and watched the needle being positioned in shoulder. not bad at all.

i was awake for surgery, i think. remember talking to team members, but since it was 2 hours, maybe i was in and out.

our dr's will know best for each of us, mine preferred block as opposed to lights out. pros and cons with each.

my thumb was the most painful and dictated the surgery. carpel tunnel being fixed just a plus.

not sure about the casts, will find out tuesday. but hand is getting better fairly quickly.

hoping to be back to work wednesday. good luck on your surgery

ken

All my comments are personal, non-professional opinions.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #17
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Hi Haydena,

I met the doctor who is doing my surgery and I am quite comfortable with his plan. He agrees with the nerve conduction study....I do need carpal tunnel. After he read my x-rays he asked why I waited so long to come in. I have severe osteoarthritis, my thumbs are falling off their support bones and I have bone spurs, one that is very large. He is going to do both carpal tunnel and LRTI in one surgery, and he uses no screws or wires. As for anethesia, he wants me to be completely out. He said with the length of time the surgery is going to take (up to an hour and a half) that is the best option. If everything goes as planned, I will be in a hard cast for 4 weeks, a soft cast for 4 weeks, and onto physical therapy. As soon as I have use of my hand, he will do the same surgery on the other. He said both hands were equally damaged so I could choose which one to start with. I'm going with my left first, the right is my dominant hand. I'd rather 'practice' with my left hand so I know what to expect when he does my right. They do the surgery in their own surgery center, but the hospital is right next door. That's about as much he could tell me for right now. A lot of my other questions can't be answered until they actually get into the surgery and see exactly what is going on. I didn't want to be put totally under, because I didn't want to be intubated, but he said no tubes, so I agreed. The date for surgery is February 15. In the meantime, I'll collect the stuff I need to manage my life during recovery. Thanks for all your input, Ginger

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
(female)

Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User

gingertea,
Much luck with your surgery. sounds like you really need the surgery. I did have screws or pins but each Dr has their own way of doing this surgery. I had soft cast for 10 days, hard cast for 3 weeks and brace for 3-4 weeks. I started the PT the next day after the hard cast came off. It's 2 months tomorrow for me and I'm starting to do things but still can't grasp or lift. I'm sure in 2 months I'll be doing more. I'm sending you hugs. I need my left hand done but I can wait a while.

Good luck,
Janet

Old 01-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #19
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertea View Post
Hi Haydena,

I met the doctor who is doing my surgery and I am quite comfortable with his plan. He agrees with the nerve conduction study....I do need carpal tunnel. After he read my x-rays he asked why I waited so long to come in. I have severe osteoarthritis, my thumbs are falling off their support bones and I have bone spurs, one that is very large. He is going to do both carpal tunnel and LRTI in one surgery, and he uses no screws or wires. As for anethesia, he wants me to be completely out. He said with the length of time the surgery is going to take (up to an hour and a half) that is the best option. If everything goes as planned, I will be in a hard cast for 4 weeks, a soft cast for 4 weeks, and onto physical therapy. As soon as I have use of my hand, he will do the same surgery on the other. He said both hands were equally damaged so I could choose which one to start with. I'm going with my left first, the right is my dominant hand. I'd rather 'practice' with my left hand so I know what to expect when he does my right. They do the surgery in their own surgery center, but the hospital is right next door. That's about as much he could tell me for right now. A lot of my other questions can't be answered until they actually get into the surgery and see exactly what is going on. I didn't want to be put totally under, because I didn't want to be intubated, but he said no tubes, so I agreed. The date for surgery is February 15. In the meantime, I'll collect the stuff I need to manage my life during recovery. Thanks for all your input, Ginger
Hi Ginger,

From your post I get the feeling you have found yourself an excellent surgeon
who knows exactly what your hands need. You must be so relieved. Good to know you wont be needing 4 operations !!

You are right in deciding to have your left hand done first & from what I understand you have not given yourself a time limit for the operation on your right hand as your recovery (left hand) should be totally stress free.

Your doctor is 100% right to give you a general anaesthetic as there is quite alot of pain. Remember before your operation you will be seen by a special doctor who weighs you & asks you loads of questions about your health so he will know how much anaesthetic to give you at the time of your operation.

I wish you the very best of good luck for 15th February.
As soon as you feel well enough, please let us know here, how you are doing
after your operation.

If you have anymore questions, dont hesitate to ask me.

Hugs,
Haydena.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #20
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

@ADKLADY,

That sounds like the type of pain I have with carpal tunnel. Did you have a nerve conduction test before you had your basal joint surgery? I read an article that up to 25% of people having basal joint surgery also suffer from carpal tunnel. If you have both, but only have surgery on thumbs you won't experience the full benefit of the thumb surgery. The carpal tunnel will still interfere. I hope you feel better soon. I've been watching the posts here since I will be having basal joint and carpal tunnel surgery on both hands....Luckily I found a surgeon that will do carpal tunnel and basal joint at the same time. Have my first surgery February 15. The first surgeon I saw wanted to do 4 separate surgeries and planned to have them all done by this summer. I found another ortho practice as soon as I could!
I hope you find out what is causing your pain so you can take care of it soon. All my best wishes, Ginger

@Janet 20,

Thank you for your kind e-mail. I can always use a hug! I've been hanging out reading this board so I can get an idea of what to expect. I have surgery February 15. Sounds like you are doing well. I had hoped to be at your stage by now but I changed ortho surgeons when I thought the first one was too aggressive. Good luck with the continued success of your surgery! Ginger

@Haydena,

Yes, I am happy with my new surgeon. All of his treatments match exactly what the Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons recommend. I'm not happy with being totally put out, but doctor knows best! As long as he can do it without intubating me. I was intubated once before during surgery and the pain and swelling from the aftermath of that was worse than the surgery! My throat was sore and swollen so much I felt I was choking for 3 days after. Thanks so much for your good wishes! I will keep you updated after surgery, and will probably have many questions! Ginger

The following user gives a hug of support to gingertea:
Haydena (01-15-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to gingertea For This Useful Post:
ADKLADY (01-15-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #21
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
@ADKLADY,

That sounds like the type of pain I have with carpal tunnel. Did you have a nerve conduction test before you had your basal joint surgery? I read an article that up to 25% of people having basal joint surgery also suffer from carpal tunnel. If you have both, but only have surgery on thumbs you won't experience the full benefit of the thumb surgery. The carpal tunnel will still interfere. I hope you feel better soon. I've been watching the posts here since I will be having basal joint and carpal tunnel surgery on both hands....Luckily I found a surgeon that will do carpal tunnel and basal joint at the same time. Have my first surgery February 15. The first surgeon I saw wanted to do 4 separate surgeries and planned to have them all done by this summer. I found another ortho practice as soon as I could!
I hope you find out what is causing your pain so you can take care of it soon. All my best wishes, Ginger

@Janet 20,

Thank you for your kind e-mail. I can always use a hug! I've been hanging out reading this board so I can get an idea of what to expect. I have surgery February 15. Sounds like you are doing well. I had hoped to be at your stage by now but I changed ortho surgeons when I thought the first one was too aggressive. Good luck with the continued success of your surgery! Ginger

@Haydena,

Yes, I am happy with my new surgeon. All of his treatments match exactly what the Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons recommend. I'm not happy with being totally put out, but doctor knows best! As long as he can do it without intubating me. I was intubated once before during surgery and the pain and swelling from the aftermath of that was worse than the surgery! My throat was sore and swollen so much I felt I was choking for 3 days after. Thanks so much for your good wishes! I will keep you updated after surgery, and will probably have many questions! Ginger
Hi Ginger,

It sounds like the tube you had previously was not inserted properly as one should never be in such pain after removal.

Your surgeon sounds like a pro & as he told you, you wont have tubes inserted, so you have nothing to worry about.

I'd like to give you a few tips (off the top of my head)

Before your surgery, cut your toe nails & finger nails. Have your hair cut, if you keep it short. See that all your upcoming bills are paid. Have your house cleaned & do as much laundry as you can. Have clean bed linen on your bed.

Stock up on loads of food. Remember you will need to drink loads of fluids to help your body get rid of the toxins from the ''knock out drugs' (I can never remember to spell the word properly & am too lazy to refer to my dictionary!!)
Get yourself videos, books if you like reading & magazines.

If you need to know what clothes are suitable to wear, scroll back a few posts, where I have explained in detail.

However, any further questions, feel free to ask.

Again, I wish you good luck & all the very best.
HUGS, Haydena.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #22
(female)

ADKLADY HB UserADKLADY HB User

@GingerTea: I did have a nerve conduction study and did not have Carpal Tunnel. However, I did have an MRI since there appeared to be a cyst in my lunate bone, and was subsequently diagnosed with Kienbocks disease, a rare disease whereby the lunate bone becomes necrotic and dies. I'm in the early stages and am praying that that disease has not progressed. Even if it has, I'm sure that the surgeon will want to wait a few months to see how I've healed from this surgery before performing another.

@Haydena: I have been using the heating pad and the warm water. Today I'm not having that stabbing pain. I found a soft splint at the drug store that I'm going to use tonight if it starts to hurt. Thanks all for responding, it's so nice to know that I'm not all alone with this.

The following user gives a hug of support to ADKLADY:
Haydena (01-15-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #23
Veteran
(female)

Hi AKALADY,

I haven't had my surgery yet. It is scheduled for Feb. 15th. I have to go get an EKG tomorrow, and I'll probably find out more about the surgery then.

The pain you are having in the palm of your hand is the same pain I have with Carpal Tunnel. I was hoping that was going to stop since I am having carpal tunnel release at the same time as the basal joint surgery. Were you given a nerve conduction test to check for carpal tunnel when you first saw your ortho doctor? In many cases people with basal joint arthritis also have carpal tunnel. In my case, the carpal tunnel symptoms lead me to the ortho doctor in the first place. I thought all the pain I had was due to carpal tunnel with a little bit of osteoarthritis.
When the surgeon saw the x-rays of the arthritis, he couldn't believe I hadn't come in much sooner for the pain, because the arthhritis damage is severe. I had just been blaming carpal tunnel for all the pain. (My regular doctor prescribed wrist braces and told me to stop working when I started to hurt. This went on for years until she reluctantly gave me a referral to an ortho doctor. I guess I wasn't getting through to her that I really did hurt!)
If that pain continues, and you weren't checked for carpal tunnel, it may be something you want to look in to. Hope you find some answers! Take care, Gingertea

Old 01-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #24
(female)

GingerTea: my ortho did not do a nerve conduction test but relied on one that I had done a few years ago, which showed only severe OA. He did tap my lower hand to see if it tingled, and it did not. Really I hope that I don't need another surgery if CT has developed. Sigh. It's always something...I'll ask the OT about this as I'm scheduled to see her sooner than the surgeon.

Last edited by ADKLADY; 01-30-2012 at 05:00 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to ADKLADY:
Haydena (01-31-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #25
Veteran
(female)

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing with their recovery. I'm getting close to my surgery date and I'm getting a little freaked out. I'm having basal joint surgery and carpal tunnel done at the same time. I went in for my pre-surgery ekg and the nurse filled me in on a lot of the details. The surgeon has set 90 minutes for the surgeries. Because of the length of time I have to have general anethesia. The nurse said I would be numb for several hours after surgery....does that mean I'll also have a nerve block? I didn't think to ask about that. I guess I will have a hard cast after surgery. The nurse said they would take off that cast to take the sutures out and check out the surgery site and then put another hard cast on until I was ready for a splint. I have to keep my arm in a sling if I'm up and around, or on pillows if I'm laying down. She said I could not pick up anything heavier than a coffee cup with that hand for 6 to 8 weeks. That's what is making me nervous.....will it really be that fragile? I guess I will have to slow down and make sure I'm paying attention to what I am doing. I tend to move quickly and I'm always bumping into things or falling. This is going to be a chore...I'm glad I'm a quick healer. Maybe I can shave a couple of weeks off the down time. I guess this is just pre-surgery jitters, but 6 - 8 weeks sounds like an eternity to keep still!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: gingertea
ADKLADY (02-04-2012), Haydena (02-04-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 05:31 AM   #26
(female)

GingerTea: will you be spending the night in the hospital after the surgery? I did and was glad to have the IV. I had general but not a nerve block. You will be in a soft cast until your sutures are removed. Your other finger tips will be visible and you will be encouraged to wiggle them so they don't become stiff. I was given a wedge pillow, which is much superior to a sling for a variety of reasons. Google the Carter arm elevation pillow, I would highly recommend that you secure one prior to your surgery. A medical supply pharmacist can order you one now so you'll have it on time. Regarding picking things up. You really can't anyway because your thumb will be wrapped. You'll be relying on your other hand and the support of another person to help you when necessary. Don't worry! The pain I've had since the surgery was never as bad as what I was experiencing prior to it! I never had to use anything stronger than extra strength Tylenol. Now I just take one occasionally when it aches. All will be well.....best of luck to you!

Old 02-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #27
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Just checking in to see how everyone is doing with their recovery. I'm getting close to my surgery date and I'm getting a little freaked out. I'm having basal joint surgery and carpal tunnel done at the same time. I went in for my pre-surgery ekg and the nurse filled me in on a lot of the details. The surgeon has set 90 minutes for the surgeries. Because of the length of time I have to have general anethesia. The nurse said I would be numb for several hours after surgery....does that mean I'll also have a nerve block? I didn't think to ask about that. I guess I will have a hard cast after surgery. The nurse said they would take off that cast to take the sutures out and check out the surgery site and then put another hard cast on until I was ready for a splint. I have to keep my arm in a sling if I'm up and around, or on pillows if I'm laying down. She said I could not pick up anything heavier than a coffee cup with that hand for 6 to 8 weeks. That's what is making me nervous.....will it really be that fragile? I guess I will have to slow down and make sure I'm paying attention to what I am doing. I tend to move quickly and I'm always bumping into things or falling. This is going to be a chore...I'm glad I'm a quick healer. Maybe I can shave a couple of weeks off the down time. I guess this is just pre-surgery jitters, but 6 - 8 weeks sounds like an eternity to keep still!
Hi Gingertea,

I ony had basal joint surgery without the carpal tunnel done. As far as I understand if you are going to have general anethesia you will stay overnight in hosptal which would be beneficial for you as you will be able to have a cocktail of painkillers.

I think you will have a nerve bolck because the nurse told you your hand will be numb. I didnt have a nerve block & my hand was not numb.

I was told to move my fingers (not my thumb) when my hand was in the hard splint. I was not allowed to hold anything in that hand & I did not.

The info that Adklady has given you here is reliable & good.

Gingertea the fact that you will have a hard or soft splint on your hand will stop you from using it & make you slow down. You will be aware of the splint on your hand so please dont worry.

Any incision on your body will make the area fragile for the first few weeks but as the healing process kicks in the site becomes less fragile.

When you lay down the reason your arm must be raised above your heart is for the inflammation to go down & for the blood to go back to your heart with ease. Its really not as bad as you think it is & is actually quite comfortable.

If you have any more questions please dont hesitate to ask.
Wishing you good luck & let us know how you are doing as soon as you are able to type.

Haydena.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #28
Veteran
(female)

I am having my surgery at the orthopedic surgery center so I will not be spending the night at the hospital. In fact, I think I will only be there until I wake up, have a snack, and can walk out on my own. They told me to bring a pillow for the car ride home. About how long does it take to wake up from general anesthesia? It's been close to 20 years since I last had it. Everything since then I've done under conscious sedation. (Although I never felt conscious!) If there are any problems, the hospital is right next door. I had to stop taking Ibuprofen on Monday, so I've been taking x-strength Tylenol. Tylenol has never worked very well for me so I've been feeling the pain and numbness more. So weird to be part numb (carpal tunnel) and also ache at the same time.

Hope you are all doing well! I'll be glad when this is over.....

Ginger

Old 02-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #29
(female)

Chiacat HB UserChiacat HB User

Hi gingertea --
I had just the basal joint surgery with the tendon repositioned and a ligament transferred to stabilize it one year ago. I can now even shut a ziplock bag with that hand without pain. I hope you have a great result, and are happy that you did it. I have two little scars -- hardly visible.
Yes, you will have a nerve block up by your collarbone. It was a very bizarre feeling to have my entire arm numb, as if it were someone else's arm. It lasted about 10 hours, and when it was gone, I wished it were still numb. Be very careful until it wears off; I leaned over to greet my dogs when I got home, and this thing swung out in front of me. It took a moment for me to realize that it was my own arm -- weird and startling.
I declined general anesthesia and even the "something to help me relax" because I have had a bad reaction to general in the past. I was able to just use breathing and the distraction of chatting with the very charming French anesthesiologist who was hovering just in case I freaked out and changed my mind. It was my choice, and everyone said I did just fine, but I think it was very novel for them, and slightly outside their comfort zone. I didn't have to deal with recovery from the general so I went home sooner. I would think that anyone who has dealt with childbirth could do it, and my surgeon said that more people are opting for this. But they still seem to push the general anesthesia.
The surgical dressing you'll have at first will probably be a big ol' bandage wrapped around your hand and up to nearly your elbow. I had done a search online for arm elevators, and ordered a big blue cube of dense foam that is designed to hold the arm at an angle so that the hand is elevated. Worth it's weight in gold, even with the express shipping. I really think that staying on my back with my hand raised above head height for the 1st couple weeks was a major factor in my recovery, and prevented swelling.
Yeah, your hand's muscles and tendons will be kinda re-engineered, so you'll have to do some PT to get your strength back. I surprised at how little strength I had at first, but I had a skilled hand therapist who made me work hard. I had about 8 sessions with him over 4 weeks or so.
Keep us posted, and know that you'll get through this and be on the other side soon.
Dawn

Old 02-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #30
(female)

Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User

Good luck Gingertea. I had mine done at a surgery center and woke up quickly, had some pain meds then went home. I was home in a few hours I guess. I could never take anything but tylenol so never had much relief. I'm almost 3mos now and still do the exercises at least once a day. I'm away for 2 months so we're on the go a lot. My wrist is still a little stiff and I can't make a fist. But I've improved a lot. Can't wait to be back to normal. --You sound prepared and know what to expect. Good luck to you!! Janet

Reply Reply