It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 04:36 AM   #31
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Adirondack, NY
Posts: 55
ADKLADY HB UserADKLADY HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

GingerTea: Best of luck with your surgery! Please keep in touch!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:32 AM   #32
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel.
Posts: 384
Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertea View Post
I am having my surgery at the orthopedic surgery center so I will not be spending the night at the hospital. In fact, I think I will only be there until I wake up, have a snack, and can walk out on my own. They told me to bring a pillow for the car ride home. About how long does it take to wake up from general anesthesia? It's been close to 20 years since I last had it. Everything since then I've done under conscious sedation. (Although I never felt conscious!) If there are any problems, the hospital is right next door. I had to stop taking Ibuprofen on Monday, so I've been taking x-strength Tylenol. Tylenol has never worked very well for me so I've been feeling the pain and numbness more. So weird to be part numb (carpal tunnel) and also ache at the same time.

Hope you are all doing well! I'll be glad when this is over.....

Ginger
Hi Gingertea,

How long it will take you to wake up from the anesthesia depends on how much they administor, your weight & how long your operations will take.
At a guess I would say it will take you under 1 hour to wake up.

I wish you good luck for 15th & please keep in touch with us here.

Haydena.

 
Reply With Quote
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 02-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #33
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 441
gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Hi Ladies,

I report to the surgery center tomorrow at 12:30 p.m. Guess that means surgery starts around 1:30. He said it took about 90 minutes and then recovery so I guess it will be fairly late when I get home. Have to stop all food and drink at 12 midnight tonight. No coffee, no tylenol, no food....I ought to be in a great mood when I get there! Did you all feel like eating after recovery, or should I just plan on going home and going to bed?
Ginger
__________________
Ginger Tea

 
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users give hugs of support to: gingertea
ADKLADY (02-17-2012), Haydena (02-15-2012), minspringtown (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 12:00 AM   #34
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel.
Posts: 384
Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertea View Post
Hi Ladies,

I report to the surgery center tomorrow at 12:30 p.m. Guess that means surgery starts around 1:30. He said it took about 90 minutes and then recovery so I guess it will be fairly late when I get home. Have to stop all food and drink at 12 midnight tonight. No coffee, no tylenol, no food....I ought to be in a great mood when I get there! Did you all feel like eating after recovery, or should I just plan on going home and going to bed?
Ginger
Hi Gingertea,

I hope you get to read this before you leave your home for your operation today.

No you dont feel like eating once you wake up. In fact you should not eat straight away in case you throw up which is quite normal.
I had to wait a few hours to eat & trust me I had no desire for food, at all.

Wishing you good luck & all the best for your operation today.
Please let us know here how you are as soon as you are able to type.

Hugs,
Haydena.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:39 AM   #35
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baldwinsville, NY, USA
Posts: 102
Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Hi There,
Good luck today. I woke up thirsty and they gave me juice. I did eat something when I got home, took my pain pill and slept. It'll be over soon.
Janet

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:41 AM   #36
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baldwinsville, NY, USA
Posts: 102
Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertea View Post
Hi Ladies,

I report to the surgery center tomorrow at 12:30 p.m. Guess that means surgery starts around 1:30. He said it took about 90 minutes and then recovery so I guess it will be fairly late when I get home. Have to stop all food and drink at 12 midnight tonight. No coffee, no tylenol, no food....I ought to be in a great mood when I get there! Did you all feel like eating after recovery, or should I just plan on going home and going to bed?
Ginger
Hi There,
Good luck today. I woke up thirsty and they gave me juice. I did eat something when I got home, took my pain pill and slept. It'll be over soon.
Janet

 
Reply With Quote
The following user gives a hug of support to Janet20:
ADKLADY (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #37
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Adirondack, NY
Posts: 55
ADKLADY HB UserADKLADY HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Good luck today, GingerTea! You will be fine! Sending healing thoughts your way!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #38
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 441
gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

doing well here 8 days after surgery. had one glitch, and thought it was the medicine. unrelenting pain, itching all over, totally out of it. they had my husband get a prescription for oxycontin and had him loosen the wrap on my arm. i felt immediate relief after loosening the wrap. the oxycontin knocked me out and by morning i was fine. no more purple fingers, no pain, just a huge bruise where the wrap was loosened. the pain and itching were due to lack of circulation, not the surgery itself or the meds. been smooth sailing ever since. surgery lasted nearly 3 hours because when he got 'inside' i had bone spurs all over and he had to fix them. have a hard cast covered with an ace bandage. no driving for at least two weeks. when he removes the stitches and checks out his handywork and my healing, he will decide the type of cast/splint i go to next, and if driving is in the picture. can't say i've wanted to go out anyway...we are in the seattle area and it's cold and wet. my fingers are loose, and he said to keep them exercised. i can touch my thumb with my pointer finger already. it's lovely to be waited on, but i am ready to get back to normal. thank you ladies for all your support and your great suggestions. i will keep you posted... ginger
__________________
Ginger Tea

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #39
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baldwinsville, NY, USA
Posts: 102
Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertea View Post
doing well here 8 days after surgery. had one glitch, and thought it was the medicine. unrelenting pain, itching all over, totally out of it. they had my husband get a prescription for oxycontin and had him loosen the wrap on my arm. i felt immediate relief after loosening the wrap. the oxycontin knocked me out and by morning i was fine. no more purple fingers, no pain, just a huge bruise where the wrap was loosened. the pain and itching were due to lack of circulation, not the surgery itself or the meds. been smooth sailing ever since. surgery lasted nearly 3 hours because when he got 'inside' i had bone spurs all over and he had to fix them. have a hard cast covered with an ace bandage. no driving for at least two weeks. when he removes the stitches and checks out his handywork and my healing, he will decide the type of cast/splint i go to next, and if driving is in the picture. can't say i've wanted to go out anyway...we are in the seattle area and it's cold and wet. my fingers are loose, and he said to keep them exercised. i can touch my thumb with my pointer finger already. it's lovely to be waited on, but i am ready to get back to normal. thank you ladies for all your support and your great suggestions. i will keep you posted... ginger
Glad to hear you've got a good start. Hope you improve each day!!
Janet

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #40
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Adirondack, NY
Posts: 55
ADKLADY HB UserADKLADY HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Ginger: glad to hear you are doing so well! It's a good thing that your husband was able to loosen the wrap. Whew! I'm 14 weeks out now and am pretty much doing whatever I want, carefully, as my wrist is still weak. Next week is my last session with the occupational therapist.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #41
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel.
Posts: 384
Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Great to hear your good news Gingertea.
Sounds like the worst is over for you now.
Remarkable that you can already touch your thumb with your index finger.
Way to go!
Thanks for letting us know & good luck for your next appont with your doctor.
Hugs,
Haydena.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #42
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 441
gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

I'm three weeks out from surgery now. After 2 weeks they took off the surgical cast, removed the stitches and took new x-rays. The x-ray showed a beautiful hand, everything in place. I had a regular hard cast put on. I wear that for two weeks and then go in for another appointment. Did most of you get a removable splint at that time, or did you have another hard cast? They tell me they want to see the condition of the hand before they decide what to do. After a week and a half with this hard cast, I'm ready to see it go for good!
__________________
Ginger Tea

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #43
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel.
Posts: 384
Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertea View Post
I'm three weeks out from surgery now. After 2 weeks they took off the surgical cast, removed the stitches and took new x-rays. The x-ray showed a beautiful hand, everything in place. I had a regular hard cast put on. I wear that for two weeks and then go in for another appointment. Did most of you get a removable splint at that time, or did you have another hard cast? They tell me they want to see the condition of the hand before they decide what to do. After a week and a half with this hard cast, I'm ready to see it go for good!
Hi Gingertea,

Good that you have a ''beautiful hand."

My stitches were removed after 1 week when I went into a micro-plastic like splint that kept my forefinger & thumb apart. It was only in the area of the forefinger & the thumb & reached my wrist, covered by a bandage.It was not removable. This I wore for 4 weeks when the surgeon removed it & told me I would not need any kind of splint.
I bought myself a soft splint & only wore it when I went out as I was afraid of being knocked or bumped. I wore it for about 2 weeks.
I started physio 5 weeks after my operation.

I hope this answers your question.

Haydena.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #44
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Adirondack, NY
Posts: 55
ADKLADY HB UserADKLADY HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

GingerTea: I had a splint molded that was held on with Ace bandages. I was not supposed to remove it, and only did so to adjust the tightness every once in a while. I became an expert at re-wrapping it with no help from my husband. But the whole point was to immobilize the thumb and wrist. I had this on for 3 weeks after the initial splint was removed at 10 days out. I did not remove it to take showers. Like you, I couldn't wait to have it off for good! Don't expect to be able to move your thumb or wrist once the splint or cast is removed. It will be totally stiff, and then weak for up to a few months. I wasn't as disciplined as Haydena about doing my PT exercises every day, as my other fingers on that hand always hurt from arthritis. But at almost 4 months out, I'm using my hand and wrist to do everything i need to do. It seems that every surgeon has their own method for the type of cast used and the length of time used. Glad to hear you are doing well!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #45
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baldwinsville, NY, USA
Posts: 102
Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKLADY View Post
GingerTea: I had a splint molded that was held on with Ace bandages. I was not supposed to remove it, and only did so to adjust the tightness every once in a while. I became an expert at re-wrapping it with no help from my husband. But the whole point was to immobilize the thumb and wrist. I had this on for 3 weeks after the initial splint was removed at 10 days out. I did not remove it to take showers. Like you, I couldn't wait to have it off for good! Don't expect to be able to move your thumb or wrist once the splint or cast is removed. It will be totally stiff, and then weak for up to a few months. I wasn't as disciplined as Haydena about doing my PT exercises every day, as my other fingers on that hand always hurt from arthritis. But at almost 4 months out, I'm using my hand and wrist to do everything i need to do. It seems that every surgeon has their own method for the type of cast used and the length of time used. Glad to hear you are doing well!
Hi AKLady,
I had my surgery around the same time as you. I had a surgical splint that was huge for 10 days, then a cast for 4 wks then into a removable hard splint. I'm almost 4 mos. out and doing most things. I still have a stiff wrist and do my exercises daily. I'm away all winter but can't play golf or other sports. My thumb still feels a little numb. I did PT until the end of January and wonder if I needed more. Sounds like you are all healed. I can't put my hand down flat either. My hand is still a little swollen and my pinky finger is very sore. Can you make a fist? I'm getting there but still need more time. You're right, that every Dr does it differently. My Dr told me he attaches the tendon to the center of my wrist tightly as it tends to loosen with time. I'm looking forward to not thinking about it.
Thanks for the support here. It's really helped me.

Janet

 
Reply With Quote
Reply Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Osteoarthritis Basal joint arthroplasty 1 year ago sylsou Arthritis 4 05-17-2012 01:18 PM
going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story dajo Arthritis 238 05-11-2012 04:09 PM
Basal Joint Arthoplasty... Anyone have?? 123mike Arthritis 98 04-28-2012 04:54 AM
Basal Joint Surgery Procedures imagolfer Arthritis 4 09-03-2011 05:38 AM
Basal joint surgical treatment..Effective??? Biyak123 Arthritis 202 08-05-2010 07:51 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Bextra
Celebrex
Enbrel
Humira Ibuprofen
  Methotrexate
Mobic
Prednisone
Tylenol
Vioxx




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



jennybyc (108), Haydena (90), Moldova (47), margarita889 (23), d j (21), Janet20 (16), ladybud (13), dajo (10), Greengal04 (10), gingertea (8)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1006), Apollo123 (906), Titchou (850), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:46 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!