It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

wilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB User
Limbrel Questions

Sorry this is long. I figure you guys have more experience with Limbrel & NSAIDs than most others.

My pain/spine doc prescribed Limbrel for me last week. I had to stop taking naproxen about 6-8 wks ago due to wicked heartburn, even with PPIs. That has pretty much has resolved itself (yea!) except I took some naproxen last night and threw up (WTH? never happened before), but at least no heartburn. But my feet/ankles felt great this morning & I actually didn't worry about limping/falling down the steps.

Everything I've seen says Limbrel takes 4-6 weeks to build up and be effective. OK. I've also seen that taking NSAIDs cancels its effects.

My problem/question is this: In addition to my long term C-spine pain that have taken the NSAIDs for, I've had a lot of ankle problems this year - multiple sprains including one with a break, strains, triggers, etc. I've been trying to resolve this for a year and am now at the point of surgery. So I just hurt. What can be taken between now and 4-6 weeks when the Limbrel builds up in my system? Heavy dose of suck it up?

I'm concerned about how Limbrel will work with the post op drugs (oxy, percocet, etc): will taking them cause the Limbrel to be useless? My other question is once I get past that initial awful period, what can be used to augment Limbrel when needed? When I was on feldene sometime ago, I broke my arm, and acetominophen was the augment. With naproxen, it was just more naproxen. Same thing with ibuprofen. Do I just take more Limbrel on bad days?

I've been through enough PT, rehab and life to know that some days just suck more than others, I'd like to have a decent plan to deal with it. My pain managment/spine doc is pretty good with drugs, the ortho seems to be pharmaceutically challenged. I go next week for pre-op consult and to get the scripts for post-op drugs.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Limbrel Questions

I am relatively new to Limbrel as well, but I want to share with you what my PM Dr explained to me.

I am also around the clock on opiates, so when they Rx meds to us, they know if any of meds can interact with each other, so don't worry about that.
Limbrel is not a pain medication, it's simple anti- inflammatory natural drug which wasn't approved by FDA although it sold at the Pharmacy.

I am on Plavix and my cardiologist suggested to watch for blood in a stool, bruises, etc. since Limbrel thins your blood as well. I would definitely discuss this with your anesthesiologist since Limbrel has blood thinning properties; usually they tell you to stop any medications/supplements which contain Aspirin or supplements with similar reaction before surgery. So this is important to talk about with your Dr. I had to stop Ginco before surgery since it thins your blood too.

I hope Limbrel will work for you. I am on it for 3 month and so far didn't see any changes unfortunately. My PM told me if I dont see any changes in 3 month, I dont have to take it anymore.

Best of luck with your surgery dear.
Moldova

Closed Thread