It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
(female)

SauceyChris HB User
Running with arthritis

Does anyone have any tips for running with arthritis?

When I was in high school I ran cross country and did at least 7 miles a day. I started having joint pain in my ankles, and eventually stopped running. I had a baby 6 months ago, and attempted to start running again as a little "me time". It didn't go so well. The pain in my ankles was so bad it hurt to just go up the stairs.

Does anyone have any suggestions so I can get back into running?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Running with arthritis

SCris,

as far as I know no rules against running with arthritis, any kind of arthritis. In fact, any Dr will tell you how important to stay active even with pain.
All depends on what you can tolerate. For example, I suffer with OA and RA from young age. Now I am with Lupus and MS on top of everything.
But despite all this, I still used to be very active at the gym. I had many knee surgeries, need one knee replacement for many years. Knees give me a great amount of pain; so I would wear knee braces, the hard ones, with metal strips on both sides of the braces and keep running. Both knees were very swollen after the exercise, but I thought I will still push until I cant push anymore.
You are a runner; so you know how hard this is to stop being active, you feel like a big part of your life is missing, is in it?
I cant use treadmill anymore the way I used to. So I do it slowly, because running on treadmill is very hard on your knees. But than I would use Elliptical very vigorously, and stationary bike as well.
Both of these machines are not as hard on your knees as running or treadmill.

So all depends on your issues; just listen to you body and you will be OK. Just dont baby yourself, keep active and this will help your arthritis tremendously.

Best of luck to you dear heart
Moldova

When situation got worse and my spinal cord got damaged, I dont run amymore, but I can do weight resistant. Not like I used to do with heavy weights, but I use rubber, balls, body weight just to do whatever I can even in a very bad days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread