It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
(female)

NJmel HB User
Arthritis in thumbs

Yesterday I found out that I have arthritis in both of my thumbs. I have been having pain for about a year now, but just have been dismissing it. I finally gave in and went to an ortho. yesterday. He gave me a splint to try for my left thumb, and in the meanwhile he wants me to see a rheumotologist, though I went to see one last year, and she basically said to me I just have a bad body, and to live with it. Anyway, is it worth seeking out somebody new, I just don't see what a rheumotologist is going to do for me? I also have a two year old, and she wants to get picked up alot, and just doing normal activities in the house is starting to get hard to do. Any suggestions on some treatment options that you have tried with some good results? The dr. mentioned shots, and of course lastly surgery. I have had three knee surgeries in the past two years so surgery is out of the question at this moment. I just want one day without pain. Thanks for listening. Any suggestion would be very helpful.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
(female)

NJmel HB User
Re: Arthritis in thumbs

So does anybody have some advice? How are the shots, do they really work? I also have feet problems, and have had cortisone shots several times in my feet so I know it's only temporary but I need something for this pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
(female)

mistyblue1964 HB User
Smile Re: Arthritis in thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by melnmark View Post
Yesterday I found out that I have arthritis in both of my thumbs. I have been having pain for about a year now, but just have been dismissing it. I finally gave in and went to an ortho. yesterday. He gave me a splint to try for my left thumb, and in the meanwhile he wants me to see a rheumotologist, though I went to see one last year, and she basically said to me I just have a bad body, and to live with it. Anyway, is it worth seeking out somebody new, I just don't see what a rheumotologist is going to do for me? I also have a two year old, and she wants to get picked up alot, and just doing normal activities in the house is starting to get hard to do. Any suggestions on some treatment options that you have tried with some good results? The dr. mentioned shots, and of course lastly surgery. I have had three knee surgeries in the past two years so surgery is out of the question at this moment. I just want one day without pain. Thanks for listening. Any suggestion would be very helpful.
I have had arthritis in my thumbs for over 10 years now it is not easy to do anything and I wish I could give you some hope but in my situation it has only gotten harder as the years roll on. I am 47 and was an auto worker when my hands gave out. I was on restrictions at work for over 2 years before I couldnt take it any longer and had my first surgery. They did a abductor tendon release and it helped for about 3 years, but mine was so severe they had to fuse my left thumb. While this has helped tremendously with the pain it is still an everyday thing. The doc put me on diclofenac and it seems to be helping. But essentially y left hand is a claw now. I can still use it but have lost most of the strength in my hand and mobility is way down in that hand. Some things I have found that help is a parafin bath it really does help especially first thing in the mornings.
It may not be easy to pick up your child i used to sit down and let my son crawl up in my lap and then stand up with him, needless to say he learned to cook and help with the housework rather young lol. I used to make it like a game for him to help me cook by handing me things, and getting out the pots and pans for me.
The splints will help for a while and the shots will help also. My shots helped ease the pain for an average of 3 months.
Thank for listening to my rambling, its amazing how much we take our hands and knees for granted till they slow us down. It makes you realize its not that simple to do up a button or tie your shoes, or pick up coins for a table.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
(female)

NJmel HB User

Thanks for your reply. It just stinks because I'm a teacher, though currently not working so it's not like I have to use my thumbs that much like you being an auto worker. I have had three knee surgeries in two years plus had my daughter via c-section. I have plantar fasciitis, and a bladder disease also, and have been battling with that for 13 years. I have the arthritis in both thumbs so it's not like I can rest one thumb when both hurt. I'm starting to realize how much harder doing things have become now. My thumbs really hurt at times. Luckily my husband is great, and helps out alot. But now I'm starting to look for a job, and I feel that with all the dr. appt, etc...it's so tough. I'm so stressed out which obviously makes the pain hurt even more. I made an appt. with a rheumotoligst, which I couldn't get an appt. until May. I don't really know what they can do for me but my ortho. wanted me to see one.
I think I will have a shot at my next visit in one of my thumbs to see if some of the pain will go away. It's just plain old miserable living in pain, and trying to rasie a 2 year old.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
(female)

mistyblue1964 HB User

I've also had some people say that accupuncture helps arthritis too just be sure you get a certified acupuncturist. I myself havent tried that yet but I'm considering it.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
(female)

NJmel HB User

I've been to an accupuncturist for my bladder. It didn't work. Plus you have to pay out of pocket. Not an option for us right now. I think I will try the shot at my next visit.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
(female)

mistyblue1964 HB User

Yeah I have done the shots too and they do work short term.

Closed Thread