It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
(female)

KathMc HB User
Ankle recovery

2011 I fractured my left ankle - dislocation and triple fracture. One year on bones have mended, inside ankle has no cartilage. Arthritis is very evident and has affected my range of motion. Mornings or getting to my feet after period of inactivity is stressful and painful - difficult to walk. I exercise in pool 4-5 days per week and have physio weekly. Footwear is challenging and am still experimenting with different types. Anyone have any suggestions of what may help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
(female)

slt3305 HB User
Re: Ankle recovery

Hi there, I have only recently been diagnosed with OA in the ankle, but have been suffering with it for nearly a year.

A really daft one, and I cannot be sure that there is a connect, but might be worth a try. I have found that the morning problem has eased in teh last few weeks - since i started using an electric blanket at night! I don;t know if its because the joint is being kept warm all nigth or what, but I am hardly having any of the first thing in the morning "OMG I can;t walk" problem any more.

Footwear to be honest shoes/boots that are perfectly fine one day will have me in agony the next for no rhyme or reason that I can determine. I will say that things with shock abosprtion and a bit of bounce seem to be better than anything with a thin sole, my 2 pairs of skechers tone ups seem to be about the best at the moment as they have good thick bouncey souls with good arch support, but again I have had bad days with them too. Sorry that's not very helpful is it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
(female)

KathMc HB User
Re: Ankle recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by slt3305 View Post
Hi there, I have only recently been diagnosed with OA in the ankle, but have been suffering with it for nearly a year.

A really daft one, and I cannot be sure that there is a connect, but might be worth a try. I have found that the morning problem has eased in teh last few weeks - since i started using an electric blanket at night! I don;t know if its because the joint is being kept warm all nigth or what, but I am hardly having any of the first thing in the morning "OMG I can;t walk" problem any more.

Footwear to be honest shoes/boots that are perfectly fine one day will have me in agony the next for no rhyme or reason that I can determine. I will say that things with shock abosprtion and a bit of bounce seem to be better than anything with a thin sole, my 2 pairs of skechers tone ups seem to be about the best at the moment as they have good thick bouncey souls with good arch support, but again I have had bad days with them too. Sorry that's not very helpful is it!
Thank you - great to hear I am not alone. Agree it can be different from one day or week to the next. I did wonder about heat at night - worth a try. I have also been noting if weather changes occur when my ankle is painful and there is some evidence of that. I have one pair of sketchers and yes agree with your comments on footwear, have ordered RYN shoes and will see how I go once that arrive. Thanks again.

Closed Thread