It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
(female)

pixie1985 HB User
Medication Question

I have a question for any Methotrexate users. I started the SQ injections recently ( 3 SQ injections) so far. Can you tell when I can expect some results from the med and how long the side effects of nausea and fatigue will last. I take it on Mondays. I am nauseaus and tired for about 2 days after it.
At this time I also taking Plaquenil for Lupus as well as Arava for the arthritis.
Thanks for anyones input.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Medication Question

The side effects of MTX whether it be pills or injections(I also inject)tend to be tied to the dose. The higher the dose the more side effects and the longer they last.

How much are you taking right now and how much folic acid are you taking with it?

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
(female)

pixie1985 HB User

I am currently taking .6 ml. I have labs scheduled for March 26, then a visit with her in May. I am assuming she will keep me on this dose until she sees me in May. She did not prescribed and Folic. Should I call the office and ask for this?

Old 02-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Anyone on MTX should be taking at least 1mg of folic acid a day as long as they are on MTX.....don't know why your doc didn't put you on it but that is a HUGE oversight. Folic acid helps to temper the effects of MTX on the blood...I am now on 2 mgs a day and have been as much as 5mgs when the side effects get worse. There is another drug called leucovorin that can be used as well to actually shut down the effects of MTX....you take it several hours after the shot to stop it's action.

Call the doc's office and tell them of your side effects and ask about adding folic acid to the daily drug regime. It will help.

.6mls is not a big dose...equivalent of 15mgs/week....a pretty normal dose. the max. is 25mgs/week and the starting is 7.5mgs so 15 is right in the middle. I'm on 17.5mgs but have my doc's permission to go up to 20 or even 22.5 if needed but I have to let him know and have additional blood work. He does blood work every 4 weeks like clockwork and on the 5th day after my shot to get the best reading on liver function. Been doing this for almost 7 years now and added a biologic drug 3 years ago on top of it.....an IV I get every 4 weeks.

I think if you can get on folic acid, you'll find you have fewer side effects as it's not the dose.

Hugs.........Jenny

Old 02-27-2012, 04:53 AM   #5
(female)

pixie1985 HB User

Thank you for the info. I will call them today. She has my labs scheduled for March 26. This will be my first labs since starting the med on Feb 6. She did not tell me that it needed to be on the 5th day. Do I need to schedule my dose that week so that labs can be done on day 5? I normally take it on Monday.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

You'll get the best results if it's done on the 5th day so if you can keep the same day of the week for testing and sync up the shots with the testing, it will help.

A lot of docs don't care when it's done but this came from either Mayo or Cleveland Clinic that it makes a difference and my doc and the 5 other rheumies in the office all try to stick by it. It's when the numbers on liver function are not too high from taking MTX and not too low from it getting out of your system. Guess we could call it the Goldilocks blood test.....just right.

Glad you are calling about folic acid....I always thought that was standard to give people on MTX but maybe she was waiting to see if you'd have a problem.

Let me know what she says................Jenny

Old 02-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
(female)

pixie1985 HB User

Thanks for the advice. I will let you know how it all goes.

Reply Reply