It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
(female)

Franlfdj HB User
Not Sure what this is... PLEASE HELP!

I have been reading on HealthBoards for the last 6 hours trying to find something that might give me a clue... but I am done reading for now. I'm not sure this is the right board to even be on, but I think it is. So here is my question. For the last two days, I have this very uncomfortable tight/icy feeling in both arms just above my elbow. It's like I have a very tight sleeve or B/P cuff on both my arms. It's hard to get to sleep because of it and it wakes me when I am sleeping. Rubbing it doesn't help, nor does Ibuprofen. I have RA, Lupus, Raynaud's and Sjogren’s. I can not get in to see my Rheumatologist for two weeks and my PCD is booked until Monday! So here I am. I've had this before but not for this long. Also I have a lot of achy feeling across the top of my shoulders, like I need a good neck massage. I'm thinking my RA has moved into my neck or shoulders and it is messing with the nerves in my arms. Has anyone here ever felt this? Any thoughts as to what this might be? Or what might make this better? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Not Sure what this is... PLEASE HELP!

It could very well be arthritis in your neck vertebrae. the pain from a compressed nerve can show up anywhere down to the finger tips and can mimic everything from burning to a muscle spasm type pain.

RA tends to attack the top 2 vertebrae and they don't have nerves to the arms so I suspect it's further down. But with so much arthritis, you probably have OA of the spine...most people with Ra and SS and lupus, end up with plain old OA and DDD(degenerative disk disease but it isn't a disease..it's aging)of the spine.

Try sleeping on your side so you don't arch your neck during sleep. Heat or ice can be used as well. Anything you take for pain can help.

If you do an internet search for a Dermatome Map, it will show you where the various nerves to the upper torso are felt.

And don't worry too much.....you aren't in danger of nerve damage. That takes a lot of time and very different symptoms. When it comes to spines, pain is actually a good sign. A nerve has to be alive to hurt. A dying nerve shows signs of paralysis with numbness, tingling and muscle weakness.

Welcome to the world of spinal arthritis. We have an entire board for people with neck problems called the Spinal Cord Disorders board where you can get more info.

Hope this helps and I'm around if you have questions.

Jenny(OA, RA, Sjogrens and fused from C3 to T1)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
(female)

Franlfdj HB User
Re: Not Sure what this is... PLEASE HELP!

Thank you Jenny! I'm glad you are here for people like me. Have a very pain free and blessed day!

Reply Reply