It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
(male)

dberghofer HB User
Fingerpad and finger joint pain while typing

I am a 19 year old computer science student and I started having some pain in my knee joints about a year ago but it rarely happened and was manageable, and is about the same as it is today.

Then my skin became sensitive if it brushed something too long, e.g. the back of my hand became irritated after brushing the table while writing too long. This is also in my arm, but this irritation was also managable.

Then I started having pain in my fingertips. This pain came within one week last summer not gradually, and would force me to stop typing after 30 minutes. This pain is really bad while typing, and my fingers are still a little irritated when I stop but over a few days it goes away gradually if I don't type.

I went to see a neurologist and it was found that I did not have carpal tunnel syndrome, or ulnar tunnel syndrome, but he could not disagnose the problem or perscribe effective treatment.

Now I am starting to have pain in my fingerjoints themselves especially when I type, especially in my pinkies. Sometimes this pain is so bad I have to stop. I also sometimes have mild joint pain in my other joints but those are not very bad. and are mild.

I notice that if my fingertips touch something too long, they start hurting. This doesn't happen to the rest of my body. Advil, ibuprofen, Tylenol, and aleve are not very effective in helping me even at high doses. My fingertips do not change color, and are not swollen. SO this condition leaves no visual marks and only causes pain. Do you know what is going on and what drugs might help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Fingerpad and finger joint pain while typing

The most common cause of joint pain in someone your age is over use. Minor joint pain happens to all of us and skin sensitivity can happen at any time too. But I suspect your fingertip pain is from too much computer time...same for the finger joint pain. Repetative use injuries.

Why don't you investigate using a voice activated computer program....it's in your filed so you might as well try one. I have one by Dragon that is used for the disabled that allows me to complete use of my computer without lifting a finger. Used a lot for those who are paralyzed...but there are easier and more practical ones that allow you to use your fingertips less.

I bet if you can give your hands a complete rest for a week, you'll see a change.

Jenny

Last edited by jennybyc; 03-11-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Reply Reply