It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #1
(male)

Santana78 HB User
Right Index Finger

I'm experiencing an inability to raise or lift or point my right index finger. No pain or numbness. I'm an artist so this is really beginning to cause me stress; just been hoping it will pass. Anyone know of this?

Old 03-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Right Index Finger

Is the finger curled inward? If not, can you feel any kind of "lumps" up on the back of your hand or wrist?

Tendons can become badly inflamed and cause the fingers to curl in and after a while, there isn't much pain. But this almost sounds like you have ruptured a tendon on the back of your hand that raises the finger...why there is no numbness or pain. But you may be able to feel the torn tendon kind of retracted and in a small lump on the back of your hand or wrist. These are long tendons.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
(male)

Santana78 HB User

No curling...no pain, or lumps.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Sounds to me like you've torn a tendon...you just can't feel the torn ends of it..probably retracted well up into the hand or wrist.

It won't heal itself. Tendons have a very poor blood supply and have to be stitched back together. And then it can take months to heal. leave it as it is and the finger will forever stay that way...the faster you have it fixed, the better off you'll be.

You need to find a hand surgeon...an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hand injuries.

Jenny

Old 03-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
(male)

Santana78 HB User

I'm thinking Arthritis, because I can grip, squeeze and pinch w not problem. It's the other way that is the problem. And If I leave it rest for a period of time, I can hold my hand/fingers out close to straight then quickly lose it. Like when I type after a few words or sentences my right hand/fingers kind of freeze up or don't quite move right. Very frustrating, and scary. I'm 33...
BTW thanks for taking the time.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santana78 View Post
I'm experiencing an inability to raise or lift or point my right index finger. No pain or numbness. I'm an artist so this is really beginning to cause me stress; just been hoping it will pass. Anyone know of this?
You would seem to have a "Mallet Finger". The part involved is the distal bone and several conditions can cause the loss of extention. Firstly it is nearly always caused by forced flexion of the finger. Very common in baseball. football recievers and volleyball players. A surprising number get it because they catch there fingers on sweaters or putting on pants. Many just notice it one day after no apparent injury.
The commonest is the tendon breaking as it joins the bone, just past the last knuckle. Another cause is the tendon comes off with a tiny piece of bone. And last of all it comes off with a large piece of bone, big enough to make the joint unstable. Usually it is easy to push the distal bone into extention without much pain. No lumps or bumps can be seen or felt, no retaction of tendons, only perhaps a bit of puffiness. The question is what do we do. It is not true that it won't heal itself, most do with a little bit of help. The most effective ttreatment is to put on a splint into extention to get together the ends of the tendon or bone chip but just short of full extention. Unfortunately the splint has to be reaplied regularly and the extention maintained. If it is a large fragment and pulled away fom it's origin it may have to be operated on. Some fingers do very well and some not at all. You should really have an xray and see if it is infact a boney injury needing repair or a splintable condition.
James

Old 03-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
(male)

Santana78 HB User

Thanks so much, James. I will have an xray taken. Gracias!

Reply Reply