It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
(female)

mjd123 HB User
Somewhat sudden onset. Appt one month out and hubby thinks i'm crazy!

Ok... started with pain in index finger knuckles over a year ago. Knuckle pain turned into thumb pain and wrist/arm tingling within half hour. Anti-inflammatories and muscles relaxers as a bandwidth. Very minimal symptoms remained. Suddenly about four weeks ago the same knuckle area became swollen, painful, and discolored. Felt like circulation problem throughout arm. Felt heavy and overworked. Veins on top of hand swollen. This time; however, it was both hands. Symptoms remained off and on for a week. Bruise on left hand on neath part between thumb and index about the size of a silver dollar showed up on Friday and by Monday I had a matching one on the right hand. Pain not as bad in morning as it is during the day, but more silken in morning. Tightness in chest started. Feels like a tickle, asthma, or dry cough. Using affected arm for everday things makes for funny circulation feeling for example wiping counters. Putting eye makeup on hurts after a few minutes of using my hand and trying to grasp large objects like shampoo bottles is uncomfortable. I avoid many triggers. When I tried to show a medical friend of mine my hands I noticed pa - tee -lee -ah covering top of left hand. Very faint spots that looked like frc freckles for a couple of days. Two knuckles on right hand and one on left are larger and bonier than they were a week ago. I have random, sudden dull pain in most larger
joints and sharper pains in hands knuckles and wrists. Hands almost feel like a Charley horse occasionally. I have had alopcecia for 10 years. Wed rate 24, rf 8, ana beg, slight Amelia, x ray normal, but knuckles shape has changed in last week. Cant see rheumy until next month. B12 deficiency treated with shots for year and normal now. Pain varies in intensity, type, and location by the minutes and occasionally non existant. Problems with eyes started within days of issue with hand last year and still extremely problematic.
Husband thinks I am nuts and that I am imagining symptoms. I also have intersticial cystitis confirmed by hydrodistensin with 25% IC lesions. Severe bladder symptoms and resulting procedure was two months prior to hand and eye problems. I could see why my husband might think I 'm nuts, but he can see every symptom with his eyes! I am scared and he is acting like this isn't really going on and that I am exaggerating symptoms. Was using ibuprofen, hydroxyzine, feurosamide and now having recital bleeding. Took a softened and then vomitting and diarhea started. Using volteran gel too.

Somebody, please, tell me if this sounds familiar to you or if you have a medical opinion.
thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Somewhat sudden onset. Appt one month out and hubby thinks i'm crazy!

Hi MJD. Let me start by apologizing for not getting back to you sooner but I just had major back surgery on March 26th and I really couldn't sit at the computer until I got the 34 staples out of my low back. Was like sitting on a pin cushion

My RA joints do the exact same thing(I have severe OA and RA). I'll never forget going to work one day with a very slightly stiff elbow. By 3pm, I was in my doc's office with it so swollen and red, he had to drain and inject it with cortisone. I watched the redness and swelling increase by the minute. My wrist did something similar and even my doc sat and watched it for about 15 minutes as it got hotter, bigger and redder......he was afraid it was infected it blew up so fast. Two years ago, my knees abruptly started to ache at 4pm on a beautiful St. Patrick's Day. By 10pm I was in agony. By 6am I could no longer walk and hubby took me to the ER(my knee had already been replaced due to OA). The ER docs watched as they continued to turn red and swell until my orthopedic doc got there and took out a ton of green "uck" out of both joints.....and then admitted me suspecting both knees had gotten infected. After 3 days of testing and hours before they were going to remove both knee implants(leaving me unable to walk for the next 3-6 months)the infectious disease doc said no infection. They called in my rheumy who said it was RA in my replaced knees....1 in a million thing and I hit the jackpot twice.

These auto-immune disorders can do things fast and bad or be so subtle that they creep up on you like the fog at dusk. You need to see a rheumy and they become the most patience person in the world. It can take a lot of time to figure out what on earth is going on. Clinical observation is far and away the biggest factor over anything thing else with auto-immune stuff like RA. Blood work can be deceptive....I'm negative for all the RA specific tests. But am MRI of my wrist showed the synovial membrane in my wrist all inflamed and swollen...bingo! But it still took a while and this doc had known me for 10 years when I got RA on top of the OA.

Your aren't nuts.

Let me know what happens when you see the rheumy.

hugs.........Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
mjd123 (04-24-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
(female)

Myra217 HB User

Let me say that you are not crazy...the symtoms can come on very fast and painful...it hit me on day at work, started with my wrist. I thought i had sprained it...it was frozen and hurt even to the touch. I fluffed it off and wore a wrist brace for a week.Got better than a few weeks later I woke up with both shoulders frozen, could not lift my arms. went to a er clinic and the said i pulled a muscle in my neck that affected my shoulders and back, gave me cortisone shots in both shoulders and sent me on my way. I stayed in pain for weeks. Went to my PCP and the sent me to a chiropractor, put me in traction for 6 weeks, said the pain was due to neck out of line. Teh one day, 6 months later I was talking to a friend who is also a doctor, was explaining my systoms of pain and he said "get to a rhuematoid doctor ASAP. I made an appointment the next day and sure enough I was diagnosed with RA. That was 11 years ago. I still suffer some but have had good results and a wonderful doctor.

So you are not crazy, find a doctor that will take the time and work with you and listen to you.

Best of luck....

The Following User Says Thank You to Myra217 For This Useful Post:
mjd123 (04-24-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
(female)

mjd123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
Hi MJD. Let me start by apologizing for not getting back to you sooner but I just had major back surgery on March 26th and I really couldn't sit at the computer until I got the 34 staples out of my low back. Was like sitting on a pin cushion

My RA joints do the exact same thing(I have severe OA and RA). I'll never forget going to work one day with a very slightly stiff elbow. By 3pm, I was in my doc's office with it so swollen and red, he had to drain and inject it with cortisone. I watched the redness and swelling increase by the minute. My wrist did something similar and even my doc sat and watched it for about 15 minutes as it got hotter, bigger and redder......he was afraid it was infected it blew up so fast. Two years ago, my knees abruptly started to ache at 4pm on a beautiful St. Patrick's Day. By 10pm I was in agony. By 6am I could no longer walk and hubby took me to the ER(my knee had already been replaced due to OA). The ER docs watched as they continued to turn red and swell until my orthopedic doc got there and took out a ton of green "uck" out of both joints.....and then admitted me suspecting both knees had gotten infected. After 3 days of testing and hours before they were going to remove both knee implants(leaving me unable to walk for the next 3-6 months)the infectious disease doc said no infection. They called in my rheumy who said it was RA in my replaced knees....1 in a million thing and I hit the jackpot twice.

These auto-immune disorders can do things fast and bad or be so subtle that they creep up on you like the fog at dusk. You need to see a rheumy and they become the most patience person in the world. It can take a lot of time to figure out what on earth is going on. Clinical observation is far and away the biggest factor over anything thing else with auto-immune stuff like RA. Blood work can be deceptive....I'm negative for all the RA specific tests. But am MRI of my wrist showed the synovial membrane in my wrist all inflamed and swollen...bingo! But it still took a while and this doc had known me for 10 years when I got RA on top of the OA.

Your aren't nuts.

hugs.........Jenny
Thank you. My appointment is Thursday. My symptoms are consistant... consistantly getting worse! My knuckles on both hands are much larger than eight weeks ago when they were almost normal. Now they are elongated and almost square looking from the side. I felt like I had the flu every morning for about two weeks. My hands were slightly swollen every morning and my hands, wrists, and well everything above my fingertips felt overused and weak. I felt like I had been laying in a hospital bed for weeks every morning. It was taking about three hours for this awkward feeling to go away. About two hours after I get moving the sharp pains in my joints start. It may be my feet at 7
AM, my wrists at 9, my knees and my wrists at 11, and by 2 PM my feet hurt so bad I can barely walk. By 6 PM on any given night I feel about 80 years old and I can really no longer walk around and do housework. If I know it will be a later evening or if my husband and I plan to do anything in the evening hours I know I have to have a couple of glasses of wine. It is the only thing that removes the pain enough for me to go anywhere in the evening. I still have the grampus Charlie horse feelings in my hands and feet. I am bruising more regularly. Right now I have two bruises on my left ankle from my socks. One is three weeks old and one is one week old. My right foot bruised yesterday from my flip flop, I had two tiny bruises from my watch, and I have matching bruises on my thighs. Last night the underneath part of my right foot which I think is the joint on my fourth two started to hurt and swell. I was hoping it would be gone by morning. I work on my feet so this is slightly problematic. It still there. My heavy firm shoe soles helped today, but I don't think this will be one of those come and go pains. It think this one us here to stay and that worries me because of work. I also worry that my gaurding it with a limp will aggravate my other joints.

My husband said I need to just hang on till Thursday. I asked him why and if he was planning my funeral for Thursday. Of course he said no you go to the doctor on Thursday. I told him j planned on and needed to hang on longer than Thursday then because this doesn't go away euthanasia one trip to the doctor!
funeral for that day. He said no you

Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
(female)

mjd123 HB User

Quote:

Your aren't nuts.

hugs.........Jenny
Thank you. My appointment is Thursday. My symptoms are consistant... consistantly getting worse! My knuckles on both hands are much larger than eight weeks ago when they were almost normal. Now they are elongated and almost square looking from the side. I felt like I had the flu every morning for about two weeks. My hands were slightly swollen every morning and my hands, wrists, and well everything above my fingertips felt overused and weak. I felt like I had been laying in a hospital bed for weeks every morning. It was taking about three hours for this awkward feeling to go away. About two hours after I get moving the sharp pains in my joints start. It may be my feet at 7
AM, my wrists at 9, my knees and my wrists at 11, and by 2 PM my feet hurt so bad I can barely walk. By 6 PM on any given night I feel about 80 years old and I can really no longer walk around and do housework. If I know it will be a later evening or if my husband and I plan to do anything in the evening hours I know I have to have a couple of glasses of wine. It is the only thing that removes the pain enough for me to go anywhere in the evening. I still have the crampy charlie horse feelings in my hands and feet. I am bruising more regularly. Right now I have two bruises on my left ankle from my socks. One is three weeks old and one is one week old. My right foot bruised yesterday from my flip flop, I had two tiny bruises from my watch, and I have matching bruises on my thighs. Last night the underneath part of my right foot which I think is the joint on my fourth two started to hurt and swell. I was hoping it would be gone by morning. I work on my feet so this is slightly problematic. It still there. My heavy firm shoe soles helped today, but I don't think this will be one of those come and go pains. It think this one us here to stay and that worries me because of work. I also worry that my gaurding it with a limp will aggravate my other joints.

This crazy auto correct is making me look crazy! Excuse the kindle craziness and the comment not intended to say euthansia at the bottom.

My husband said I need to just hang on till Thursday. I asked him why and if he was planning my funeral for Thursday. Of course he said no you go to the doctor on Thursday. I told him j planned on and needed to hang on longer than Thursday then because this doesn't go away euthanasia one trip to the doctor!

Old 04-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
(female)

mjd123 HB User

Quote:

Your aren't nuts.

hugs.........Jenny
AM, my wrists at 9, my knees and my wrists at 11, and by 2 PM my feet hurt so bad I can barely walk. By 6 PM on any given night I feel about 80 years old and I can really no longer walk around and do housework. If I know it will be a later evening or if my husband and I plan to do anything in the evening hours I know I have to have a couple of glasses of wine. It is the only thing that removes the pain enough for me to go anywhere in the evening. I still have the grampus Charlie horse feelings in my hands and feet. I am bruising more regularly. Right now I have two bruises on my left ankle from my socks. One is three weeks old and one is one week old. My right foot bruised yesterday from my flip flop, I had two tiny bruises from my watch, and I have matching bruises on my thighs. Last night the underneath part of my right foot which I think is the joint on my fourth two started to hurt and swell. I was hoping it would be gone by morning. I work on my feet so this is slightly problematic. It still there. My heavy firm shoe soles helped today, but I don't think this will be one of those come and go pains. It think this one us here to stay and that worries me because of work. I also worry that my gaurding it with a limp will aggravate my other joints.

Reply Reply