It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #1
(female)

zimmummy HB User
club foot and arthritis

hello I am a 28 year old mother of two born with a club foot on my right leg, just yesterday i went to vist the emergency rooms cause i have been having excruciating pain and the doctor suspects it could be arthritis cause from the xray she says my bones are very thin, i'm going to see an orthopaedic surgeon later on today but i was wondering what are the chances of being arthritic when u have a club foot.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: club foot and arthritis

How did it go with the ortho? Anything that makes the joint off the normal alignment can cause severe arthritis. I've battled it since my teens due to injuries as a child.

What did the doc suggest?

hugs,

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #3
(female)

zimmummy HB User

thanks Jenny

the tests were negative but i have had to for a ct scan ofthe leg so i am yet to go with those results to the ortho again its now really eating me up

Old 04-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
(male)

crontar HB User

I understand how you feel. I am 24 and had surgery to correct my club foot on my right ankle. Last time I had my ankle looked at was when I was 17. The doctor said additional surgery may one day be necessary as my ankle has now started to roll out on the inside. I can walk normally, just have pain after little walking or strain. I have very limited mobility of entire foot, I can only wiggle my little toes and my big toe is just there. How was your foot corrected? I really would appreciate any information that you do not mind sharing. I understand how this can feel and I sympathize with you whole heartedly. I wish you great luck and hopefully you can get back to a normal life soon.

Thank you so much,
Daniel

Old 09-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
(female)

Swainster HB User

Hi!
I'm 31 and was born with both feet severely affected by club foot. My toes on both feet were touching my ankles and in total I've now had 13 operations - first one when I was 2 days old and the last back in 2006. During the last operation they inseted a medical staple to hold the main bones together in my left foot.....in the last 6 months it's become stupidly painful. If I walk or stand for more than 30 minutes I end up needing painkillers as it gets so painful.....I often dread getting up in the mornings because it's so painful. Apparently this is because I'm now starting to suffer from arthritis....wonderful!!!

Daniel - when you say you have limited mobility, that sounds just like me as I can only wiggle my toes too!
Zummummy - my doctor has said that it's very likely that I'll soon start suffering from arthritis in my feet/ankles which is really annoying as I love being active.

Life goes on so we just have to power through with a smile on our faces

Good to hear I'm not the only one with silly bones, aches and pains x

Old 04-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
(female)

Dare7703 HB User

I'm not sure if you will see this because I found it a year later! I am 27 years old and was born with a clubbed left foot (1 corrective surgery when I was 1 yr old) when I was a senior in high school I broke my big toe which has caused stiffness in the joint but has also caused a lot of pain in my ankle from not being able to stand on my tip-toes (just the left foot)

Anyway, I have gotten x-rays and an MRI. Everything was fine on the x-rays but I have developed severe arthritis in my ankle and big toe joint, and bone spurs on both. Pain started spreading from my ankle to my foot. The pain was so bad no matter what I was doing- sitting, standing, laying down, etc. Pain pills were not helping so I have seen a podiatrist (not really any help), a chiropractor (kind of helpful), and an orthopedic surgeon (helped me understand what was going on in my foot, but nothing surgery-wise).

The only thing that has helped the pain has been these arthritis patches ("salonpas" - the cvs brand has worked well too). They HELP the pain, not get rid of it.

The orthopedic surgeon explained how clubbed foot bones rub a different way than normal foot bones which can cause arthritis at a young age. You am also have "flare-ups" which cause a lot of pain and you can be put in a boot or cast for 6weeks until it goes away. She also said to wear thick-soled non-bendy shoes (which stinks because I am all for the minimalist running/training movement and love my vibrams...) she also said to always wear an ankle brace when working out and I was given a prescription for a custom stiff shoe insert that will help my ankle to stay in place and also has an arch because I am severely flat-footed.

I went yesterday to the orthodics doctor who put a cast on my foot to get a perfect molding of it, an am waiting for about 10 days for it to be done.

I am a high school teacher and am always on my feet, but my flat, stiff-soled shoes of choice are vans. I also just bought some Reebok dual turbo shoes for the gym (I think that's the name). A 27 year old sentenced to a life of flat comfortable shoes... Doctor's orders... No heels... Ever again....

Hope this helps someone a bit, I didn't know there was anyone else like me!

Reply Reply