It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
(male)

sodaman HB User
Neck/Right Shoulder Aggrevation

I have been told I have degenerative disc disease in my neck, as well as right shoulder arthritis. Doctors say it's from a previous injury,(which I can't even remember). I can't do anything without "grinding" in this area. Just a simple thing like putting on my jacket, or even as I sit here typing is extremely uncomfortable. It feels like the bones and tendons in my neck and shoulder are trying to support my upper body, without the use of muscles. It's like all the support muscles around my spine have disappeared...I can't feel them..like the bones in this area are floating in water as opposed to solid muscle. I was told to do physio to strengthen certain muscles, and stretch certain others, and have been trying to do this religiously for years...but after weeks and months of trying to to a routine and feeling that there's no progress, I get discouraged and stop. When my neck chest and shoulder feel "inflamed" like this, my instinct is NOT to lift, or do any exercise activity...Even jogging, which I used to love is hard to do as I have trouble holding my upper body up while walking or jogging. I am 60 years old, and have always been active, but for the last 8 years it seems to be getting gradually worse... My doctor says if it keeps feeling like this, he may have to put me back on pain medication, which I do not wanna do! ANY suggestions or advice would be great...Thanks

Last edited by sodaman; 04-07-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Neck/Right Shoulder Aggrevation

Have you had any x-rays or CT's or MRI's done to see exactly what is arthritic and where? I ask because I had both shoulders operated in for arthritis in the AC joints(the shoulder joint on top of the shoulder by the collarbone)and after all of that, found out my major problem was actually my neck and ended up having to have urgent surgery on my entire neck to save me from paralysis. No one had bothered to check out my neck pain and just assumed it was my shoulders.....wrong.

So if you haven't had x-rays or other tests, I would start by demanding they do some tests so you know what it wrong where. Why do PT on a shoulder when the problem is in the neck!

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
(male)

sodaman HB User
Re: Neck/Right Shoulder Aggrevation

Thank you Jenny..I will talk to my doctor about this. Frank

Reply Reply

Tags
muscle atrophy, neck grinding, shoulder pain