It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
(female)

super12 HB User
Not sure what direction to go in for treatment

I'm 41 years old. Hysterectomy at age 30 due to endometrosis. After hysterectomy I am not sure what happened but I have not been the same since! Arthritis, mixed connective tissue disorder, livedo, headaches, fatigue. My gyn started me on hormone patches after hysterectomy which did not work, next was pills which worked for about 2 years, now I'm on estradial injections which seem to be working. I am thinking about finding a naturopath provider because I do not like taking alot of medicines but they do not have any in my area. Rheumatologist is just as hard to find. Thinking of seeing Dr Scopelitis at Ochsners for a full rheumatlogy workup so I can find out what the heck is going on with my body. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Not sure what direction to go in for treatment

I had my hysterectomy at age 35, 2 kids and no hormones at all. They say that surgical menopause the worse menopause - they are right! I refused to have any hormones despite severe hot flashes, pains and sleepless nights, moods swings, anger, very tired, etc.
I suffered with Fibro and JRA and OA from very young age. But I had very full life, gym was my second home, I worked more than full time and pushed myself to the end...
I was told that after your body goes thru such changes at such young age (only if your ovaries removed too, otherwise you are OK), so everything what comes with it - is normal. It was hard for me to accept this, thinking how hard will be living this life this way, but you know what? Somehow body and mind adjusts to changes and you keep going on despite all changes.

If your symptoms really bother you - will not hurt you to see a Dr. and have full check up. Especially if you on hormonotherapy, you need your early check ups and mammogram anyway. But most doctors will tell you that most of your symptoms are totally "normal". Sad is in it?
You go for surgery thinking you will get better, but instead you are tired and in pain... Well, life goes on....

All the best to you
Moldova

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Not sure what direction to go in for treatment

Hi Super12 and my buddy Moldova.....I'm another member of the early radical hyst club.....32. Endometriosis and fibroids growing so fast they thought it might be cancer....had to do a D&C prior to surgery to make sure it wasn't.

My doc put me on the lowest dose of a plant based estrogen right away and I took it until I was 52 when my doc stopped it due to stroke risk. Never had a single problem and didn't even have any hot flashes or anything when I stopped. Guess I'm one of the really lucky ones.

I doubt having the hyst triggered any of the other problems. The most common age to get auto-immune arthritis is in the 30's and 40's and there is a form of osteoarthritis called early onset that can hit as young as the teens.

If you feel you need a rheumatological workup and your insurance doesn't require a referral, then go for it.They might find something but if they don't, at least you'll have a good base line to work from if the problems continue. Sometimes it can take years for more concrete symptoms to show up.

Right now, rheumatology is in the dark ages......they have more diseases than they can test for. In 1900, there were 2 kinds...osteo and rheumatoid. By 2000, it was up to 100 kinds but they have tests to find only a few of them....the others are diagnosed by exclusion. By 2050, they expect to have defined about 200 forms of arthritic disorders...and they will still only have tests for about a dozen or two.

I know 41 feels young but in 1900, the average life span was about that. When they brought in Social Security in the 1940's, it started at 65 and the average lifespan was 62....thanks to antibiotics. So you are where the bad things start to happen. But I'm going to be 61 this summer and feeling better than I have in 30 years thanks to the new meds out there and some revolutionary surgeries. I plan to be healthier when I hit 70 than when I was 30!

Start searching and I wish you luck in finding out what is going on. We are always here if you have questions or just need to talk.

gentle hugs...........Jenny

Reply Reply