It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
(female)

hollysodeman HB User
Post ANA not sure yet, SED rate 64

Ok, over the past several years, I have felt terrible and have had no relief. About 3 years I was diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroiditis. I take Levoxyl for that and have had a recent blood work done. Everything has come back fine, even the pesky thyroid. The only results that were "bad" was the SED rate at 64, and I am expected to get back my ANA results tomorrow. At any rate, I am tired of feeling this way. It is difficult to walk because my ankles are swollen and pressing on stuff it shouldn't be. I can just be sitting and in pain. I know that there is something going on. I will be sooo frustrated if they come back and say that the ANA is negative, then why is my SED rate SKY high!!! Just wanted to vent about my situation. I have been reading some people that are going through the same thing.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited by hollysodeman; 04-11-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: ANA not sure yet, SED rate 64

The problem with auto-immune disorders is that the blood work can fluctuate and some of the older tests are notoriously unreliable. ANA's can go up and down(mine has) and the sed rate only tells of inflammation somewhere but gives no ideas of where or what. But a 64 means something is definitely going on...no doc should dismiss a sed rate that high.

Have they done a CRP...they should. Someone will undoubtably do a Rheumatoid Factor and let me warn you right now that it is the most unreliable test out there. 5% of the general population with no problems are positive and 25% of those with confirmed RA are negative. And that 5% rises to 20% as we get older. Only if it comes back very high does it have any validity.

I hope you are seeing a rheumatologist. they will test and test and they know which tests are reliable and which aren't. My Ra was diagnosed by MRI...it clearly showed the inflammation of the synovial lining of the joint...the hallmarks of Ra. With other disorders like lupus, just go ask the people on the Lupus board how they were finally diagnosed. It becomes a matter of finding a doc who is willing to wait and take the time to piece together the jigsaw puzzle that are your symptoms. That is what it really is like.

I'm sorry you are so miserable and I really do understand. I was treated by rheumatologists for over 25 years severe OA and for chronic tendinitis all over my body that never went away. For the past 17 years, I've been with one doc and he just kept helping me and watching me and I finally started to develop some other symptoms and he jumped into action and diagnosed RA. Within 2 years, I had developed secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. and just last month, he finally figured out that my 35 years of tendinitis is also RA...a very rare form of RA where it attacks the sift tissues and may never attack the joints but since my blood work was always negative, he had to wait for just 1 joint to blow up to finally confirm RA and then the Ra drugs stopped the tendinitis. It's taken 35 years to finally know the full truth but so worth the journey. They have kept me comfortable and my current doc has become a real friend.

So be patient but don't stop searching for answers.

hugs............Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
(female)

hollysodeman HB User
Re: ANA not sure yet, SED rate 64

Thanks!
My RA came back normal. Actually everything came back normal except for the SED rate and I am still waiting on the ANA results.

I know that have to be patient, but it is just difficult sometimes.

That is such a long time to be in chronic pain! My heart goes out to you. It sounds like you have a great Doctor!

Good luck!

Hugs

Reply Reply

Tags
ana, arthritis, hashimotos thyroiditis