It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
(female)

denann7 HB User
Osteo arthritis in head.

I have osteo arthritis in my knees and spine fingers and wrists. lately i have been in severe pain with my neck and my head and wen i yawn or move my head there is a loud cracking noise and feel like an electric shock going up the back of my head. I have been to the doctors several times and he just keeps telling me to take the pain killers, which are too strong. I havnt had a scan or tests, could it be arthritis or could it be more serious.

The following user gives a hug of support to denann7:
Iamartist (04-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
(female)

jdcatt HB User
Re: Osteo arthritis in head.

Hi denann7, you need to have an MRI of your cervical spine done or at the very least an x-ray. Electrical type pain is usually a sign there are nerves being affected. I have slight osteoarthritis in my cervical spine and what has happened is my spine has formed bone spurs in reaction to my spine degenerating. These bone spurs can cause pain, especially electric type pain, if they are impinging upon a nerve or the spinal cord. You need further evaluation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
(female)

Iamartist HB User

I have arthritis in my neck and it has formed into bone spurs..I just found this out today. I have been having electrical type shocks along my arms and numbness in my hands for over a year now. Now at least I can see what is causing them! I also have been dizzy and do not have balance like I used to! I am only 45 and this is really stressing me out! They told me to use heat, arthritis pain medication and stretching exercises. I have been doing a lot of reading about this today and it appears that I will not be able to repair the damage. Does anyone know if this can be reversed? Thanks!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi Denann...I'm Jenny and I've had 2 major cervical spine surgeries and am fused from C3 to T1. Arthritis in the neck is very common but so is arthritis in the jaw joint...and both can cause very similar symptoms to what you are having. So since your doc is not too interested in pursuing your head/neck pain, you could ask your dentist to take a look at your jaw by x-ray to see if it is involved.

The reality with neck arthritis is that docs don't do anything for pain anyhow. Pain means the nerves are alive and kicking. They don't start thinking of fixing anything until you show signs of impending paralysis such as numbness, muscles that don't work right, reflexes that are either less than they should be or way too much than they should be, pins and needles or persistent tingling.

About all you can do until you do develop signs of needing more help, is treat the pain. If it's getting bad, ask for a referral to a pain management doctor...they will do the x-rays and MRI's so they know exactly where the problems are and then get you on a good regimen of pain meds until such time as you do need to see a surgeon.

And as my world class neurosurgeon recently told me when I complained about certain movements causing certain problems....don't do that. That's why he gets the big bucks! So limit what makes you hurt.

good luck............Jenny

Reply Reply