It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
(male)

ashwin81 HB User
Middle finger joint pain (around the knuckle)

Hi everyone,

I am so puzzled by this! Since January I've been dealing with this odd pain on my right hand. When I pull back my middle finger, the region around my knuckle hurt. When I push it forward it's fine though. If I slowly pull it back it doesn't hurt as much ,sometimes not at all. There isn't any swelling but if i press around the knuckle and in the area beween the fingers, it hurts almost like a bruise. The middle finger on my left hand started hurting a little bit the same way - that's been going on for about 10 days now.

In December I had a bout of ankle pain only on my right leg. It would hurt when I woke up and walking for a few minutes and/or a warm shower made it go away. That problem went away after a few weeks. I also noticed for the last few days that my right knee's been mildly hurting when I walk. Never when I run, do squats or climb stairs.

I'm a little worried - is this arthiritis? Why are the joints on the right side of my body acting up. I'm a 30 year old male, 5 ft 8", 147 lbs. I have a desk job that requires long hours and can't go to the gym as often as I'd like
That said, I walk around alot (no driving in NYC) so I feel like i'm getting some exercise there.

The only thing I can think of is that I was prescribed a course of ciprofloxacin antibiotics in December and the joint pains started after the 3rd pill. I immediately stopped taking cipro but it feels like the joint problems continue to linger on, 4 months after stopping.

Can anyone relate? I've made a doctor's appointment for next week, so I hope it's better news. I feel like I'm way too young for arthritis but who knows?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Middle finger joint pain (around the knuckle)

Cipro and Levaquin are both well known for causing tendinitis. It can be mild and only affect a finger or 2 or maybe and ankle or a knee or so debilitating it causes tendon ruptures and permanent damage. I bet you've just gotten some tendon inflammation from it.

Don't stress the affected joints and take some ibuprofen if it hurts and just give it time to clear up...which it should. And tell your doc that Cipro gave you tendinitis and to make a note that you should never have Cipro or Levaquin ever again unless it's the ONLY antibiotic that will work.

Jenny

Old 04-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
(female)

pixie1985 HB User

Jenny...can Cipro and Levaquin cause a flare up of plantar fascitis (spelling?) I had a abscessed tooth recently and was given Cipro. I have had pain in my feet again that had gotten somewhat better. I am at the point of not being able to walk again. I do have a heel spur on the foot that is hurting worse. Just wondering if there might be some correlation.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Could be. The plantar fascia is nothing more than a thick back of connective tissue covering the bottom of the foot...just like the connective tissue tissue that covers tendons.....looks the same and anatomically, is almost the same.

I use Clindamycin to avoid the tendon problems..can cause intestinal problems but that is treatable. Seems you are very susceptible to the tendon weakening drugs like Cipro and Levaquin.

Jenny

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
ashwin81 (04-17-2012), pixie1985 (04-14-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
(male)

ashwin81 HB User

Thanks for the response jennybyc. As an update I went to the doctor today. I told him about the cipro and how my middle finger and knee joints have been hurting. Since there isn't any swelling nor is it hot/red, he can't definitively say arthritis.

He's running a battery of blood tests to hopefully that gives a clearer picture. If that's still inconclusive, guess it's time to visit a rheumatologist..

Old 07-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
(female)

Natacha2012 HB User

Hi,
I am Natacha from South Florida. I was a bit relieved after I read your post as I have the exact symptom. My middle finder started hurting right after I finished my prescription of Cipro antibiotics. After I read your post I called the pharmacy to confirm the name of my recent antibiotics and sure enough it was Ciprofloxacin - unbelievable. My thoughts were the same as yours "too young for arthritis but who knows". I am 5'2, 107 lbs. Thought about going to see my doctor but had not had the time as yet, very busy schedule. Let me know how your appointment went.
Natacha

Last edited by Natacha2012; 07-23-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
(female)

pjamesc HB User

You described exactly the pain I have (the reason I joined this forum, in fact) and I have never taken Cipro. It's in my left middle finger in the middle knuckle, and you described it better than I could. I have had no injury and the only med I started taking recently is Celexa. My doctor gave me a topical anti-inflammatory but didn't seem very concerned about it. She didn't know if it was arthritis and didn't offer to do any tests.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #8
(male)

Marcus092 HB User

Well, you have described the pain correctly. I have been suffering from this pain since 1 year. But I have never relied on Cipro for pain removal. I would advice you to not to rely on these medicines for pain relief.

Reply Reply