It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #16
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthritisPain View Post
i has surgery last Tuesday. i see the doc tomorrio to get a cast. I am sore but 2 tylenol helps. I am having walking and with me knee and shoulder problems can get up the stairs. I feel really down about that. the riight. I having trouble typing o will stop for now
Hi Lyn,

Good to hear from you & I appreciate the effort you took in typing your last post knowing how difficult it was for you.

Also good to know your surgery is over & that you return tomorrow for your cast.

When you have pain remember to use the ice pack as it will help with the throbbing & swelling. You can take the pain killers every 4 hours.

Let us know how you are doing when you are able to.

Speedy healing to you Lyn.

Haydena.

The Following User Says Thank You to Haydena For This Useful Post:
ArthritisPain (05-03-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #17
(female)

Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User

Quote:
i has surgery last Tuesday. i see the doc tomorrio to get a cast. I am sore but 2 tylenol helps. I am having walking and with me knee and shoulder problems can get up the stairs. I feel really down about that. the riight. I having trouble typing o will stop for now
Hi LYN,
I'm glad your surgery is behind you and you are getting the cast. Just relax during this time with the cast on. Not much you can do. Once the cast is off, you'll have exercises. You'll improve each day. Thanks for letting us know how you're doing.

Janet

The Following User Says Thank You to Janet20 For This Useful Post:
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #18
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

Quote:
Hi Lyn, It's good to hear from you. I'm sorry you are feeling poorly, and can certainly sympathize. Hopefully every day will get a little bit easier. It's normal to be feeling down, but it's probably more so for you since you are facing more surgery. Take it easy and let yourself be pampered by others. Sending good wishes and fast healing thoughts to you!

The Following User Says Thank You to gingertea For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #19
(female)

ArthritisPain HB User

Thanks janet, ginger and Haydena. I sure appreciate the encouraging words. The cast was put on yesterday and the man really squeezed my hand to mold the fiber glass - ouch! But now I have pretty purple cast with orange barber pole stripes. I'm having some swelling so am keeping my arm raised with ice. The knee surgeon moved my appointmrnt out two weeks but that will give my hand a couple extra weeks to heal. The hsnd doc warned that it will br painful using the walker after knee surgery. I do not type so well with my left hand so will say thanks for listening.

Last edited by ArthritisPain; 05-03-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #20
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
Thanks janet, ginger and Haydena. I sure appreciate the encouraging words. The cast was put on yesterday and the man really squeezed my hand to mold the fiber glass - ouch! But now I have pretty purple cast with orange barber pole stripes. I'm having some swelling so am keeping my arm raised with ice. The knee surgeon moved my appointmrnt out two weeks but that will give my hand a couple extra weeks to heal. The hsnd doc warned that it will br painful using the walker after knee surgery. I do not type so well with my left hand so will say thanks for listening.
Hi Lyn,

Good to hear from you again. Your purple cast sounds divine!!

Great thinking to give your hand more time to heal before your knee surgery.
I was able to fully use my (left) hand 2 months after my surgery. I still marvel at my speedy recovery.

Wont you be able to just use your left hand for the walker after your knee surgery?

Bravo to you for keeping your arm raised as this will keep the swelling down. Icing it is the best you can do.

Wishing you painless days of speedy healing & full recovery.

Haydena.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #21
(female)

ArthritisPain HB User

You guys are so awesome! poor hubby was complaining about all the dishes. He never had to do all the dishes; it's a real eye opener for him. he even did some cleaning this morning. it's hard to sit back and let him do all the work but my hand is proving to be rather temperamental and i get shooting pains if i move it around much, so mostly i keep it elevated and iced.

Haydena, i'm not sure how the walker will work but i also have severe arthritis in both shoulders and am unable to push myself up out of my recliner. the doc suggested i get a lift chair which is a godsend. Somehow i will work it out when the tome comes.

Janet, i hope your thumb and wrist get better soon!

I am getting pretty good at reading a book with one hand. I am going to post on the general board and ask if anyone has had thumb and knee replacement surgery. I'd sure like to be able to compare the two.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #22
(female)

Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User

Quote:
You guys are so awesome! poor hubby was complaining about all the dishes. He never had to do all the dishes; it's a real eye opener for him. he even did some cleaning this morning. it's hard to sit back and let him do all the work but my hand is proving to be rather temperamental and i get shooting pains if i move it around much, so mostly i keep it elevated and iced.

Haydena, i'm not sure how the walker will work but i also have severe arthritis in both shoulders and am unable to push myself up out of my recliner. the doc suggested i get a lift chair which is a godsend. Somehow i will work it out when the tome comes.

I am getting pretty good at reading a book with one hand. I am going to post on the general board and ask if anyone has had thumb and knee replacement surgery. I'd sure like to be able to compare the two.
Hi Lyn,
I'm laughing at your post on your husband doing the dishes. My husband was never the type to help around the house but he did everything (almost) for 2 months. He was great but as you are finding out, it's necessary. Just sit and enjoy the time you have now. Your thumb will thank you for it. I'm getting better a little at a time. I started a walking program today. I've gained weight sitting and watching TV and being on the computer! It's time to start. I'm sorry about all the arthritis you have. My sister in law needs to have her hands done but refuses. She has both hips done last year and now needs both knees done. She just sits and knits. She said it helps her hands. Knees are not easy too so make sure your hand is healed first. Tell your hubby I'm proud of him. We're lucky to have such nice guys!

Old 05-05-2012, 05:05 AM   #23
Veteran
(female)

Quote:

Hi Lyn,

A chairlift sounds good & of course it will be easier for you.

The shooting pains you feel in your hand will subside. Continue keeping it raised & iced.

Remember to praise your good hubby alot! After my surgery when I was ''chair-bound'' mine told me to ''sit quiet & look pretty!!"

There have been a few ladies who went through this surgery alone & I cannot imagine how they managed without help.

Please keep us posted about your recovery, untill then, I wish you well.

Haydena

Old 05-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #24
(female)

ArthritisPain HB User

Hubby gets lots of praise and I appreciate everything he does. Yesterday I twisted in my chair and tried to turn out the table lamp. Ended up knocking over the lamp and it fell onto my thumb and bent it back. Spent the day with a swollen hand and painful thumb elevated with ice and tylenol and advil combo. Was afraid would have to call the surgeon this morning but it is better today. Am keeping it elevated with ice and trying not to anything dumb today.

Hope all is going well with all here!

Old 05-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #25
(female)

Quote:
Hubby gets lots of praise and I appreciate everything he does. Yesterday I twisted in my chair and tried to turn out the table lamp. Ended up knocking over the lamp and it fell onto my thumb and bent it back. Spent the day with a swollen hand and painful thumb elevated with ice and tylenol and advil combo. Was afraid would have to call the surgeon this morning but it is better today. Am keeping it elevated with ice and trying not to anything dumb today.

Hi Lyn,
You poor thing. I went to PT today and my thumb was just pounding with pain. I wear my little brace and ironed yesterday for 2 hrs. She told me today if I don't stop it it'll never heal. OMG I have so many things I want to do. I can't believe this is still sore after 6 mos. They are convinced I have tendonitis and have to let it heal. So be careful please!!!! Your hubby sounds wonderful too. Just sit and enjoy while you can. I was supposed to start my golf league tomorrow but now I might just walk 9 holes with the girls just to be social able!! At least I can walk.

Take care of yourself. Is the cast still on?

Janet

Old 05-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #26
Veteran
(female)

Quote:

Oh Lyn, your are so lucky you didnt break your hand or thumb whilst doing your twist !! Sorry to hear about this. Just sit quiet & look pretty & you'll be safe !!

Hugs to you,

Haydena.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #27
(female)

ArthritisPain HB User

Hi Ladies!

Ginger, yes, the cast is so limiting and the itching and sensitive skin drive me crazy sometimes. When the cast comes off I have to wear a splint. Sounds like putting off having your other hand done is a good idea. Right now I'm wishing I hadn't had mine done at all! Can't do anything with the hand without some pretty miserable pain. I'm wearing house dresses because I can't pull up my own jeans and I refuse to have hubby help me pull them up. I shouldn't complain but just hate sitting doing nothing. Good luck seeing your surgeon.

Janet, I'm sorry you can't play golf yet. I know how you feel. I can't do art and and miss it already. This has been a long road for you. I sure hope the PT helps you to get back to normal soon! I also take MSM and the other two. How is the desensitivity working? I have an area on my hand that is so sensitive!! Do keep resting your hand. It must be so hard to do. It's hard for me and I'm only three weeks out. I have the cast for two more weeks.

Haydena, yes, I was lucky. I've had more pains in my hand since then but probably because it is so hard not to use it for anything. Tried typing with both hands and my hand really let me know that is not acceptable.

Take care, ladies!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #28
(female)

Quote:
Hi Ladies!

Ginger, yes, the cast is so limiting and the itching and sensitive skin drive me crazy sometimes. When the cast comes off I have to wear a splint. Sounds like putting off having your other hand done is a good idea. Right now I'm wishing I hadn't had mine done at all! Can't do anything with the hand without some pretty miserable pain. I'm wearing house dresses because I can't pull up my own jeans and I refuse to have hubby help me pull them up. I shouldn't complain but just hate sitting doing nothing. Good luck seeing your surgeon.

Janet, I'm sorry you can't play golf yet. I know how you feel. I can't do art and and miss it already. This has been a long road for you. I sure hope the PT helps you to get back to normal soon! I also take MSM and the other two. How is the desensitivity working? I have an area on my hand that is so sensitive!! Do keep resting your hand. It must be so hard to do. It's hard for me and I'm only three weeks out. I have the cast for two more weeks.

Haydena, yes, I was lucky. I've had more pains in my hand since then but probably because it is so hard not to use it for anything. Tried typing with both hands and my hand really let me know that is not acceptable.

Take care, ladies!
The desensitization really helped. It's still a little tender. Yes, it's a very long road. I went to a golf meeting today and the girls went out to play a few holes but I just couldn't. It's very hard not doing what I want to do. I'm so used to being very busy! I was the same and wished I hadn't done this surgery. I hope soon I'll be changing my tune. I talked to some ladies at golf today and they said they've never heard of anyone being the same after this surgery! Yikes I want to be like Haydena!! When I had my cast on I felt I had no pain really -it's when it came off the trouble started. It's really just the beginning when that PT starts. Good luck to you. I know I'm in the minority. Just a small bump in the road and I'm plowing through. You're doing fine.

Janet

Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #29
(female)

ArthritisPain HB User

Janet, It must have been difficult for you not to walk along with your golf friends. I was feeling guilty for writing my post yesterday so thanks for responding and letting me know I'm not the only one who wishes they had never had the surgery. Hubby keeps telling me I'll be happy I did in a few months and I hope he's right. Now I'm wondering if I have the fortitude to have knee replacement. I've always been a very strong independent woman but now I feel weak and vulnerable. Hubby is so willing to help me but it so difficult to just sit back. Guess I have a lot of lessons to learn.

I apologize if I am to much of a downer. One bright spot: found an old pair of sweat pants and was able to pull them on.

Last edited by ArthritisPain; 05-09-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #30
(female)

Quote:
Janet, It must have been difficult for you not to walk along with your golf friends. I was feeling guilty for writing my post yesterday so thanks for responding and letting me know I'm not the only one who wishes they had never had the surgery. Hubby keeps telling me I'll be happy I did in a few months and I hope he's right. Now I'm wondering if I have the fortitude to have knee replacement. I've always been a very strong independent woman but now I feel weak and vulnerable. Hubby is so willing to help me but it so difficult to just sit back. Guess I have a lot of lessons to learn.

I apologize if I am to much of a downer. One bright spot: found an old pair of sweat pants and was able to pull them on.
Please don't feel guilty about your posts. I usually am the down one here!! But it's so hard. I feel like you in that I've always been the leader and the strong one. Now this surgery is the hardest I've ever had. I had my appendix rupture 3 yrs ago and I was up and around in a few weeks!! But my husband too keeps telling me I'll be happy but at 6months I'm wondering. You're just beginning and all those feelings are so normal. Don't get down cause you still have a cast for goodness sake. Just hang in there. I love this board as the women are so wonderful. It's the one place where everyone understands and knows what the pain is all about. I think we all have so much arthritis we're never going to be pain free.
Keep up the good work. Yea for putting on the sweat pants. For a month all I wore were my pi's!! My bra was way too hard. Those pull over bras were not for me either. I'm rather big busted so it's hard. The turning point for me was getting dressed in what I wanted to wear!! Today I even swept the garage. Yea!! haha but I can't golf. Go figure.

Have a great day.
Janet

Reply Reply