It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
(female)

ArthritisPain HB User
Upcoming Thumb Surgery

I am having a Trapeziectomy on my right thumb this coming week. When I spoke with the surgeon he said he used Percocet 5/500 for the pain but his nurse phoned in Norco 5/325. Isn't Percocet stronger? Will the Norce be strong enough for the first few days or do you think I should discuss this with my surgeon at the surgery center prior to surgery? I tried to speak with him this week but the nurse just said everything will be fine. I don't want to take anything stronger than I need but I don't want to hurt unnecessarily either.

I really would appreciate it if those of you who have undergone this surgery would share with me what you were given for pain.

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
Re: Upcoming Thumb Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthritisPain View Post
I am having a Trapeziectomy on my right thumb this coming week. When I spoke with the surgeon he said he used Percocet 5/500 for the pain but his nurse phoned in Norco 5/325. Isn't Percocet stronger? Will the Norce be strong enough for the first few days or do you think I should discuss this with my surgeon at the surgery center prior to surgery? I tried to speak with him this week but the nurse just said everything will be fine. I don't want to take anything stronger than I need but I don't want to hurt unnecessarily either.

I really would appreciate it if those of you who have undergone this surgery would share with me what you were given for pain.

Thanks!
Hi, I'm assuming you have aleady had your surgery. I had my surgery
2/15/2012. I had two types of pain meds and neither of them could be called in by the nurse or doctor. My husband had to physically take the prescriptions to the pharmacist to have it filled because of the strength of the prescription. I don't know if different states have different laws on what drugs can be phoned in and what drugs have to be presented in person. I wish I could remember the name. I took the first prescription till it ran out, but I didn't need the step down prescription. After the first week regular ibuprofen worked just fine. There is a post with over 300 entries regarding this surgery on the arthritis board. It's called 'basal joint surgery, my story'. It has a wealth of information....much more than you get from your surgeon or any website. The people writing in have actually had the surgery and you can get a lot of questions answered. I hope you are doing well, it's not the easiest surgery to deal with!

The Following User Says Thank You to gingertea For This Useful Post:
ArthritisPain (04-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
(female)

ArthritisPain HB User
Re: Upcoming Thumb Surgery

Thanks! I will go read all the posts. My surgery is this coming Monday, it was postponed for a week. I spoke with the surgeon's nurse and she is sending him an email. She told me to remind him before I go into surgery about the pain meds as he must write a hard copy that has to be taken to the pharmacy, as you mentioned.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
(female)

ArthritisPain HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

I am having a Trapeziectomy on my right thumb Monday. I've been reading the posts and they have been so helpful. WendyRay's advice about making a hand elevator with pillows was great. Hubby read it and put it together while I was reading the posts that Ginger recommended. Thanks Ginger! I'm going to order the Traumell cream, have plenty of reading materal, loose blouses and made several casseroles. I think I am ready and not too nervous yet. Guess that will come tomorrow.

I am having my dominant hand done, then in 4 mos. after the surgeon releases me I am having the first of two knee replacements. After I get through those I need both shoulders replaced and then will go back and have the left thumb taken care of. I have severe, bone-on-bone arthritis and already experience pain daily. Sometimes I feel totally overwhelmed but am trying to take life one day at a time. But hope down the road I will emerge from all the surgeries pain free.

It seems that everyone here has had physical therapy. My surgeon says he doesn't send patients to PT unless they ask; he provides a list of exercises. I know I don't have to worry about PT at this point but I'm thinking I should keep it in mind to ask for when my hand is ready.

It's great to be here and read all the shared experiences.

Lyn

Last edited by ArthritisPain; 04-21-2012 at 04:39 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to ArthritisPain:
Janet20 (04-22-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
I am having a Trapeziectomy on my right thumb Monday. I've been reading the posts and they have been so helpful. WendyRay's advice about making a hand elevator with pillows was great. Hubby read it and put it together while I was reading the posts that Ginger recommended. Thanks Ginger! I'm going to order the Traumell cream, have plenty of reading materal, loose blouses and made several casseroles. I think I am ready and not too nervous yet. Guess that will come tomorrow.

I am having my dominant hand done, then in 4 mos. after the surgeon releases me I am having the first of two knee replacements. After I get through those I need both shoulders replaced and then will go back and have the left thumb taken care of. I have severe, bone-on-bone arthritis and already experience pain daily. Sometimes I feel totally overwhelmed but am trying to take life one day at a time. But hope down the road I will emerge from all the surgeries pain free.

It seems that everyone here has had physical therapy. My surgeon says he doesn't send patients to PT unless they ask; he provides a list of exercises. I know I don't have to worry about PT at this point but I'm thinking I should keep it in mind to ask for when my hand is ready.

It's great to be here and read all the shared experiences.

Lyn
Hi Lyn,

You also need to buy 2 ice packs. Keep one in the freezer whilst using the 2nd one. The pack helps reduce the swelling & pain. Ice & later Traumeel saved me.

It was at my suggestion that the ladies here buy Traumeel, so I take credit in that!!

Yes, you sure will need to be seen by a physiotherapist when the time comes & I advise you to ask for this service. Reading from a sheet of exercises is not the same as being taught by a physiotherapist sitting next to you.

You need to have your arm raised at all times above your heart as this enables the blood to run back to your heart.
You also should sleep with you arm raised above your heart.

Dont forget to drink as much water as you can so you flush the toxins of the anaestetic (pardon my spelling) out of your system.

I wish you the very best of luck for your surgery on Monday. Please return to tell us how you are doing as soon as you can.

All the best to you Lyn.

Haydena.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
(female)

ArthritisPain HB User

Hi Haydena,

I've copied a number of your suggestions. You have been such a wonderfully helpful member and an inspiration to all on this thread. I should have thanked you for your suggestions in my first post. I will go out tomorrow and get the ice bags and will remember to drink a lot of water.

I am definitely going to ask for PT - thanks!

Thanks,
Lyn

Last edited by ArthritisPain; 04-21-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:59 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
Hi Haydena,

I've copied a number of your suggestions. You have been such a wonderfully helpful member and an inspiration to all on this thread. I should have thanked you for your suggestions in my first post. I will go out tomorrow and get the ice bags and will remember to drink a lot of water.

I am definitely going to ask for PT - thanks!

Thanks,
Lyn
Hi Lyn,

Thanks for your kind words.

You need to buy ice packs, not ice bags. Ice packs contain a special blue liquid that can either be heated in the microwave or iced in the freezer.

Ice bags are to make small pieces of ice for drinks.

Good luck for your surgery.

Haydena.

The Following User Says Thank You to Haydena For This Useful Post:
ArthritisPain (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
(female)

ArthritisPain HB User

HI Haydena, Thanks!

I got a couple bags of ice and large bags of peas. Ordered the cream, packed a pillow in the car, laid out loose clothing and slip-on shoes since I have to be at the surgery center at 8:00 a.m. tomorrow. Now all I have to do is silence the horde of butterflies that have taken up residence in my stomach.

Lyn.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
(female)

ArthritisPain HB User

Haydena, Thanks!

I've got a good case of nerves this evening but I've got everything I need and put a pillow in the car for the morning. Surgery is at 9:15 a.m. tomorrow.

Will report back afterward.

Lyn

The following user gives a hug of support to ArthritisPain:
Janet20 (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 02:55 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Haydena, Thanks!

I've got a good case of nerves this evening but I've got everything I need and put a pillow in the car for the morning. Surgery is at 9:15 a.m. tomorrow.

Will report back afterward.

Lyn
Hi Lyn,

Because of the time difference between us I only read this after your surgery!

You are going to be fine. Its quite normal to be nervous before any surgery.

Waiting to hear from you in a few days.

Haydena.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

Hi Lyn,

Been thinking good thoughts for you this morning.....you are probably in surgery right now! Don't forget to take your pain pills on a regular schedule whether you think you need them or not. I had a nerve block administered during surgery that kept my arm numb for a day. I didn't take a pain pill until I felt my hand coming back to life......too late. Have to start before you feel any pain or it's a game of catch-up!

Let us hear from you when you feel like being at the computer.

Happy Thoughts! Ginger

Old 04-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #12
(female)

Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User

Hi Lyn,
Hope the surgery went well. We're all rooting for you. Yes, take the pain pills in the beginning and keep the ice on it an and elevate your arm. Our thoughts are with you!!

Janet

Old 04-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
HI Haydena, Thanks!

I got a couple bags of ice and large bags of peas. Ordered the cream, packed a pillow in the car, laid out loose clothing and slip-on shoes since I have to be at the surgery center at 8:00 a.m. tomorrow. Now all I have to do is silence the horde of butterflies that have taken up residence in my stomach.

Lyn.
Hi again Lyn,

I got confused & thought your surgery was today, Monday. I see now it will take place on Tuesday. Sorry about that.

You have prepared yourself very well indeed. I hope you have the plastic arm cover which you will need when you shower. If not then simply wrap a large
plastic bag over your arm & hold it up high whilst you shower.(This is not ideal,but it will be sufficient for your first shower.) Sorry I realize now I forgot to tell you to buy this.If you dont have the arm cover, ask someone to buy it for you as you will really need it. Also for the left hand when you have that ''fixed.''

You may also need to buy a sling to keep your arm raised. Ask your surgeon about this.

You are not having major surgery & from what I have read on the internet you wont be staying overnight in hospital. As soon as you wake up take the pain meds & keep taking them at the appropriate times.
When you have pain use your ice pack. Remember to keep your arm raised at all times.

Its not as bad as you think & you will be pleased with the outcome.
I am rooting for you & wishing you the best of luck.

Hugs to you,
Haydena

Old 04-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #14
(female)

lca8461 HB User

If you can't get a plastic bag, use plastic wrap, like saran wrap, it works as well.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #15
(female)

ArthritisPain HB User

i has surgery last Tuesday. i see the doc tomorrio to get a cast. I am sore but 2 tylenol helps. I am having walking and with me knee and shoulder problems can get up the stairs. I feel really down about that. the riight. I having trouble typing o will stop for now

Reply Reply