It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
(female)

george39 HB User
cmcj fusion

I had surgery on the base of my thumb 2 days ago. I had been diagnosed with OA of my cmcj. The surgeon has fused the joint using a metal plate and screws, which will stay in permanantley. At the moment, i have half a cast on my arm, and am attending the hand therapist next week. I am feeling pretty miserable at the moment, as it aches alot, a bit like toothache in my hand !. just wondered if anyone else has had the surgery, how long it took to recover, and the final result!

p.s, am managing quiet well to type with one hand!!

thankyou

The following user gives a hug of support to george39:
thmbsup (05-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
(female)

thmbsup HB User
Re: cmcj fusion

I had CMC arthroplasty with tendon transfer on 5/2. I'm only 2 weeks out, but still dealing with pain and swelling. Have you gone back to work yet? How are every day tasks for you?

My left hand/arm are a bit strained from overuse--i'm EXTREMELY right handed (surgery was on right thumb.)

Hang in there--you're not alone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
(female)

thmbsup HB User

I had CMC arthroplasty with tendon transfer on 5/2. I'm only 2 weeks out, but still dealing with pain and swelling. Have you gone back to work yet? How are every day tasks for you?

My left hand/arm are a bit strained from overuse--i'm EXTREMELY right handed (surgery was on right thumb.)

Hang in there--you're not alone

Old 05-16-2012, 02:17 AM   #4
(female)

george39 HB User

Hi, thanks for your reply.
No, I'm not back at work yet, the consultant signed me off work for 8 weeks, so another 5 to go.
It doesnt feel too bad at the moment, I have a cast on and am able to use the fingers of that hand for some things. It does ache ocasionally, but thats to be expected.
I'm also finding that I am compensating with my other hand, I had surgery on that hand for a torn ligament 3 years ago, so am very conscious of overuse!
I see the consultant next week, so hopefully the cast will come off to be replaced with a softer splint.Then the physio can start and I can get back to normal, you never realise how much you need your hands until you can't!
Hope your feeling better soon.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #5
(female)

george39 HB User

I should also say, I have a heavy demanding job, which is maybe why I am off work for so long.

Reply Reply