It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
(female)

ArthritisPain HB User
Anyone Here Who has had basal joint surgery and knee replacement?

I sure would like to talk to someone who has undergone basal joint surgery and knee replacement. I just had basal joint surgery and will undergo knee replacement in a few months. I am wondering how they compare.

Thanks!

Old 05-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Anyone Here Whohas had basal joint surgery and knee replacement?

Hello and welcome on board!!!

I had many knee surgery and a candidate to a knee replacement, but cant have it due to auto-immune disease (very advanced). Unfortunately I cant explain to you exactly what is similar and what is the difference between 2 of them, but I am sure they have so much information on Internet.
I think people on this board may not have answer for you as well, this is why your post didn't get any responds. Sorry...

I wish I could help you more.
Best wishes
Moldova

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
(female)

ArthritisPain HB User
Re: Anyone Here Who has had basal joint surgery and knee replacement?

Thanks for the reply. Take care.
Lyn

Old 06-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
(female)

OhioQuilter HB User

I too had basal joint surgery a year ago (July 2011) and was thrilled with the results. Now I'm scheduled to have knee surgery in December this year. The doctor told me they won't know if i need a partial replacement or an entire knee replacement until they open up my knee. I've had xrays, Syn-Visc injections (recently, and also 5.5 years ago), and now know I have to have something done for my knee. I take Celebrex daily, have been doing so for about 6 years. My knee throbs if I've been using it too much. Walking as exercise is no longer an option for me. I'll be anxious to know how your surgery goes, Lyn!

Last edited by OhioQuilter; 06-22-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
(female)

ArthritisPain HB User

Hi Ohio,

My knee surgery is on hold. I also need shoulder replacement and after talking to the surgeon it was decided to do shoulder surgery first. That will be scheduled after my hand is functionable. Just started physical therapy on the hand. How long did it take for your hand to feel normal again? Mine is very stiff and sore.

Please research partial knee replacement. I did a lot of research on it and spoke with people who had a partial and they eventually had to have a total knee replacement anyway. Also, get a second opinion. You don't want to have to go through that surgery twice. Ask your surgeon how many of these replacements he has done. A skilled surgeon is so very important.

Good Luck! Please let me know how it works out for you.

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-22-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
(female)

OhioQuilter HB User

My surgery last year (hand) was July 21. By the end of September I was back to knitting already. I was knitting inside the doctor's office at my last appointment - I was so glad to show him how much better my hand was feeling! Of course it was sore and stiff during the recovery process, but with the therapy they had me practice, and the gradual use of it over 10-12 weeks, I was thrilled with the outcome. The knee doctor is part of the same practice and they are rated extremely highly in the Columbus OH area, so I am not the least worried about his capabilities or talents with surgery. I trust him to make the right decision about the replacement.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
(female)

ArthritisPain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioQuilter View Post
My surgery last year (hand) was July 21. By the end of September I was back to knitting already. I was knitting inside the doctor's office at my last appointment - I was so glad to show him how much better my hand was feeling! Of course it was sore and stiff during the recovery process, but with the therapy they had me practice, and the gradual use of it over 10-12 weeks, I was thrilled with the outcome. The knee doctor is part of the same practice and they are rated extremely highly in the Columbus OH area, so I am not the least worried about his capabilities or talents with surgery. I trust him to make the right decision about the replacement.
I just saw the hand surgeon this morning, and my hand is getting better and better.
I wish You the best with your knee surgery. Please let me know how it comes out. I will be doing my first knee after shoulder surgeon and appreciate hearing from others who have gone before me.

Lyn

Old 06-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
(female)

California Ann HB User

Hi,
I have had 3 total knee replacements. The first 2, I had done at the same time in 1996. It was not fun but within 3 weeks I was almost pain free and was walking without aide. I had some serious problems with my right knee and and ended up having another replacement 6 years ago. I was finally diagnosed with some rare disease that eats bone and it was eating the bone in my right knee. I am as good as I will ever be and have very little knee pain. I spent months in the water both before and after surgery doing my therapy. I walk alot and can walk up to 5 miles without a problem. The most important thing I can say is get the muscles in you knees as strong as possable. It will make your recovery so much faster.

I was 40 when I had my knees done the first time. I am now 57 and still have my original left knee. Most dr's told me they would only last 10 years, especially since I was so young. Guess I proved them wrong. If it wern't for this PVNS desiese I have I probably wouldn't have had the second right knee replaced.

Good Luck,
Ann

Old 07-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I had my knee replaced, at age 45, 9/28/11. I had 10 prior surgeries on that knee, 5 of which were "open" so there was a lot of scar tissue. For me the TKR was a very tough surgery. The hospitalization is generally at least 3 days, I was in for 5 and should have stayed 1-2 days more AND should have taken my surgeon up on the offer of rehab center stay for a week. I was being "I'm too young and too strong for that". Long story short I wasn't and I should have gone. I probably would have progressed FASTER that way! At home PT came 3x/wk for 2 wk for 30 min. Inpatient rehab would have had me doing PT minimum of 3x/day.

I've got chronic pain issues and am on strong pain meds, so I think it was hard finding the right amount of pain meds to allow me to push through the old and new scar tissue. I've gone back to PT recently to try and get a bit more range of motion out of the knee. I have quite a bit (121 degrees) but would like to get to 130. Max for my knee is 135.

I agree with ArthritisPain on being cautious about the partial knee replacement. Every time they go in the knee they create more scar tissue. So you have to find out what the REAL benefit of a partial would be IF the thought is eventually they'll have to do a full (TKR) replacement. I can't imagine going through the PT then having to do it again a number of years later on the same knee. I'm the kind that would say "Unless there's a real good reason NOT to to a TKR, I don't want to be on the table again in a few years undoing a partial to have a total"

I now need the basal joint surgery. I'm interested in hearing from ArthritisPain and OhioQuilter about the basal joint procedure. Did you each have the one where they remove the bone and use tendon to replace it?

Tell me more about the recovery. I had carpal tunnel surgery on each hand (a month apart) a year ago but that was only painful and restrictive for about 8 days. After that I slowly got back to normal.

I had the steroid injection in my thumb a week ago and my thumb is now worse (which of course isn't supposed to happen but nothing is typical with me).

There are times when I feel okay and think I can delay the surgery. Then the pain wakes me up. I have a totally screwed up spine but the basal joint pain wakes me more than the spine pain does!!!! Last week I had to take hubby to the ER and he was admitted for 1 night (he's fine) and I had to take off his shoes for him. He thought he'd help by lifting his foot and kicked my hand. WOW. That hurt. He said that shouldn't hurt that much (as did the nurse that came running when I yelped OW very loudly).

I'm impressed with the timeline OhioQuilter gave. What can I do to speed up the recovery? What is the first 1-2 week like, does it get easier? What should I plan for?

Last edited by SpineAZ; 07-02-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
(female)

dgarafa1 HB Userdgarafa1 HB Userdgarafa1 HB Userdgarafa1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthritisPain View Post
I sure would like to talk to someone who has undergone basal joint surgery and knee replacement. I just had basal joint surgery and will undergo knee replacement in a few months. I am wondering how they compare.

Thanks!
I need basal joint surgery and I want to know the outcome. I am a pianist. Will I be able to play piano after? I need complete trapezium removal with ligament reconstruction. thanks, How did your surgery go? are you glad you did it?

Old 11-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
(female)

margarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB User

Hi Quilter,
Just wanted to wish you well now that your knee surgery is coming up. I have two partial knees and count each one as a blessing. They only took 6 weeks recovery and I was back to full time teaching, so I pray that you are able to get the PKR. I am in the reverse situation from you- I will be having my thumb done just before Christmas. Thanks so much for sharing your positive results from your surgery. I am frantically making doll dresses for Christmas gifts and wishing I could do it pain free. Maybe next year! I look forward to hearing about your speedy recovery from the knee surgery as I am recovering from my thumb.

Good luck and good healing

Margarita

Old 11-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Had right basal joint arthroplasty 9/11 and having the second next week, 12/4. Went better than I thought, not pain free but by using the hand once out of the cast I naturally improved so I'm sure I will on the left (though I'm right hand dominant so hopefully I push myself as hard with the left).

Old 11-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #13
(female)

margarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB User

Hi SpineAZ,
I'm glad to have someone with experience who will be just ahead of me with their thumb surgery. I went through the last PKR with friends who had theirs at the same time and it was great for support and company.

Margarita

Old 11-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #14
(female)

Smile Re: Anyone Here Who has had basal joint surgery and knee replacement?

Hi SpineAZ,
I'm glad to have someone with experience who will be just ahead of me with their thumb surgery. I went through the last PKR with friends who had theirs at the same time and it was great for support and company.

Margarita

Reply Reply