It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
(female)

dolphin1970 HB User
Question Very painful knees??

Hi

I have had on & off pains in my knees for years, but nothing like I have now! I am quite overweight and for the past year or so have found getting down to kneel a little difficult, plus sitting still too long was uncomfortable. Apart from that I could walk miles etc with no pain. About 3 weeks ago I woke up with a strange feeling in both knees (a sort of full feeling) but no pain. Later in the day I had a strong burning sensation in my knees, plus some intermittent clicking. Now 3 weeks later, I have some pain, along with the burning,plus the clicking. I was diagonosed with osteoarthritis in my hands 2 years ago at age 40. I just find it a little odd that I have the same symptoms in both knees at once, and it came on so suddenly.

Anyone ever had similar symptoms?

Old 05-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Very painful knees??

Actually, it's not unusual at all for both knees to get bad at the same time. They both get even use so they both get even damage. Hips do the same thing. Ankles too.

Sounds like you need some tests to see what is going on with the knees. OA, internal cartilage problems(that might be fixable)....you need some x-rays.

I've had 14 knee surgeries but mine started with an injury to just the left knee so it went down hill slowly. Then the right one started many years later but caught up to the left one very fast so that I ended up having both replaced in one huge surgery. Now both hips and both ankles are going downhill almost identically to each other.

See your doc and start the process of finding out if anything can be done to help them or is it just OA...like OA is no big deal....it's a HUGE deal.

good luck..............Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2012, 02:59 AM   #3
(female)

dolphin1970 HB User

Thank you for your reply Jenny, I have made appointment with my doctor for Friday. Things are not any better infact I have a burning feeling almost the whole time, plus something I hadn't noticed before (a sort of creaking noise when I bend my knees) Also I can't sit for long without having to stretch my leg out & crack it. I can't believe how quickly this has progressed, I really am scared. I have had aches in my knees for a long time, and nodules on my end finger joints, but my fingers are sort of ok, they just look ugly, but no real pain.

Thanks again for the reply, you really have gone through a lot yourself too.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Those nodules on the end joints of your fingers are classic of osteoarthritis. Kind of confirms that OA has really hit your body.

Glad you are seeing your doc. Time to find out what is going on inside those knees and if anything needs to be fixed.

Let me know what the doc says.

hugs...............Jenny

Old 05-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
(female)

ArthritisPain HB UserArthritisPain HB User

Dolphin good luck with your knees, I was scheduled for knee replacement in both knees but have put it off due to surgery on my thumb. Every one who I know who has had the knee surgery tells me it is tough but worth it. Hope the doc will help you find some relief.

Lyn

Old 05-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
(female)

dolphin1970 HB User

Hi again

Sorry it has been a while, but have had a nasty cold etc, and felt rubbish. Well I still don't know what is going on, the doctor examined me, and said she didn't think it is arthritis that is causing the current pain. She said I have some grinding behind the knee caps, which I knew about anyway, as it is easy to hear. I was told to lose some weight, strengthen my quads, and see how I Go on. I could have insisited on x -rays, but the outcome would have been the same, with the exercises etc. At the moment They are burning like hell, and it feels like there is a tight band around them. If things don't get any better soon, I am going to go back, as it is still very uncomfotable, even with Nsaids.

Lyn I hope the surgery goes well for you, and you make a quick recovery. It must be hard having both done at once, but you will get there.

Last edited by dolphin1970; 05-20-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Dolphin,
good luck to you next week, it a very good idea to go and check on them. If you have your hands OA, it very possible that OA affected your knees, especially you mentioned you overweight.
My mom is tiny, only 5" but overweight, not too much but could loose 20 pd. When she started to complain about her knees, she was diagnosed with OA, she was only 32. Her Dr told her that he is not able to help her until he sees she helps her self. He sent her to PT with walking swimming pool, he made her walking and going to the gym ... In 6 month my mom lost over 30 pd and became so tiny. She was happy; the only thing she needed to buy clothes much smaller. LOL

Do you know that she was able to wear high heals again? She didn't have swollen knees again and didn't complain about pain. Only much later in life she had 4 surgeries in a raw, couldn't walk much, gained weight again and her knees really got bad . Unfortunately; but at least she was able to live good life after all this experience.

RA manifests itself differently, much more to the symptoms. I am not a DR but think this is OA which needs to be taken care of...

Best of luck to you dear, feel better please!
Moldova

Old 05-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
(female)

dolphin, It sounds like OA to me also. I am bone on bone with my knee caps and have very similar symptoms. It seems as if your doc really should xray your knees. I had grinding pain in my shoulders last year and for nearly 6 months the doc insisted it was tendonitis until he finally did xrays and discovered that I have severe arithritis in my shoulders too.

Thanks for the well wishes. I am not having both knees done at the same time.
It will be one at a time with time in between the surgeries to heal.

Losing weight will probably help take the stress off you knees but I know how difficult it is. One thing I've learned with doctors is that you must be your own advocate! Good luck and keep us posted.

Lyn

Old 06-19-2012, 02:14 AM   #9
(female)

dolphin1970 HB User

Just a little update. The docs have now decided, it is most likely OA. This was based on another examination, and by the noises my knees are making. The weird thing is, the worst pain I have now is from just sitting with my legs bent. It feels like a pressure building, along with burning. I have to keep doing exercises, lose some more weight, and maybe go for more test & physio. Oh the joys!!

Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
(female)

Dolphin, Did the doc do xrays? Xrays will clearly show if it is OA.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
(female)

dolphin1970 HB User

No x rays, just a physical examination. She seemed pretty sure, especially as the crepitus (new word for me) is quite bad. To be honest I can't see what else it can be. I can live with that, but I can't bloody live with this damn pressure building. I don't get that bit , it just builds & builds, until I crack it, and then it starts again. I can't seem to find much information on that.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
(female)

Perhaps you should see an orthopedic doc, if you haven't already.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
(female)

dolphin1970 HB User

The doc said to give the exercises a little more time, and if it is till as bad, I will be sent for physio, and they can also arrange further tests. She said something about putting a camera in. I should write things down really, as I was full of questions, and never asked half of them.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:34 AM   #14
(male)

allendbrook HB User

Hi Dolphin,
So many people are suffering from knee pain, and most often they are doing nothing overly wrong.
Other than arthritis, the most common cause of exercise knee pain is weak supporting muscles.

Reply Reply