It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
(female)

thmbsup HB User
CMC Arthroplasty Surgery Recovery

Hello. I am new to this Board, and would appreciate hearing from others who have had CMC arthroplasty with tendon transfer. Had this surgery 5/2/2012. I'm two weeks out tomorrow (slow going with the typing still.) Pain is decreasing but I'm surprised at how much I still have.

I'm to go back to work Friday--16 days post op as a special ed teacher. I'm a bit concerned about managing pain and swelling. I'm still on 600mg ibuprofen every 4 hours and prescribed meds at night. Still lots of intermittent swelling where I have to elevate and ice to get it down--does this subside somewhat?

Anyone else have experience with trying to get back to work while recovering? This has turned out to be more extensively disabling in the short term than I thought it would be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I also have a shop online where sell handmade goods. I've stocked up--but I'm wondering how many months I'll be unable to cut and/or sew--trying to be realistic in planning for the holidays this year

Any advice on what's ahead and what I can expect? I've been looking over old threads,and was hoping for some more current info.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: CMC Arthroplasty Surgery Recovery

Hello and welcome on board!
My heart goes out to you reading about your pain.
I don't have your diagnoses and my surgeries are different but I am definitely know what pain is.
When I went for my spinal fusions, my spinal surgeon told me I will be back to work after 8 weeks from surgery. I tried so hard to be ready till that time comes, but when I went to see him to sign papers to go back to work and he saw how much pain I am in and how many other complications I got, he told me to NOT go back to work but work on short term disability at that point.
I thought OK, I know no matter how much I push, I am still in so much pain and agony. 3 month went by and my surgeon told me I am not ready to go work and that I have to work on Long term disability.
Make long story short - I am permanently disabled.
I knew I cant afford this no matter what; I knew I cant loose such wonderful job I loved more than anything; I knew I cant live without job - period... but my body knew different story.

I learned that sometimes in life, no matter how strong we are, how much we want something - there are things which prevent us from doing what we wish...

So what I want to suggest you - listen to your body. This is important. My surgeons always tell me - if you in pain, you don't heal. If you push too hard certain things - you may get worse. They were right and I was wrong thinking I am stronger than they think.
Another important thing: my surgeon suggested me to talk to my human resources at work. He told me that even I push and go back to work, I will be back at his office in 3 days in worse shape I was before (he knew what to expect, he did my big surgery) but just by going one day to work, I may loose opportunity to file my disability. He was absolutely right.
They explained to me that even one day back to work and I will not be able to get disability. But if I will not come back to work after trying one only day, they give me some time off and than can fire me. So be careful, talk to them and make sure you listen to your body, you ask your surgeon questions and also talk to your HR at work. Very important.

Best wishes to you
Moldova

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply