It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
(female)

ksk1 HB User
Question Psoriatic Arthritis- Methotrexade's effectiveness?

Hi,
I'm totally new to this, registered today!...

I'm 18years old and was diagnosed around 5 weeks ago with Psoriatic Arthritis..
I'm just wondering how others with this condition are coping, and if they are taking the same medication?

I take Methotrexade, it's early days but my symptoms are just as painful and restricting as they were before starting the medication Has this medication been a great help to any of you?(:

This has come as a huge shock to me, being so young with no record of arthritis in my family, any support/advice would be much appreciated

x x x

The following user gives a hug of support to ksk1:
ShadNuke (05-24-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Psoriatic Arthritis- Methotrexade's effectiveness?

Hello KSK and welcome on board!
You are at the right place, we are here to help each other and share our experiences.
While I have RA, PA is something I am familiar with due to my own research and reading posts on board from people suffering with it.
unfortunately auto-immune diseases don't have age and don't have to run in a family.
I am very sorry you are so young, but I was diagnosed with JRA at age 11, and when came to the office of my RA DR, I saw babies in a carriages with RA... so as you can see these type conditions don't discriminate... :-)

Usually the use MTX as the first drug, mild one too, for RA and PA. They start with it and if it working - good for you, you don't have to go on biologics or something even stronger and more severe.
I was on MTX for 4 month. It started as OK drug, but longer you on it, more it accumulates in our body, stronger side effects are. You know MTX is a chemo therapy drug, but they use milder doses that for patients with cancer. But still it can cause nausea, lost of appetite, loss of hair, and all side effects chemo brings. But some lucky people dont develop any side effects and drug works for them miracles.
For me it wasn't a miracle drug that is why we had to go to something different, plus it made me pretty sick so I wasn't crying when my DR took me off it.
You have to be on it quiet a while until your DR determent either it working or not.

I hope it will work for you; after all we all different and severity of the disease is different too. Many people benefit from MTX, many benefit from biologics and someone like me - failed every possible drug out there and now my dr is out of options.
I wish you best luck, you are so young and all life in front of you sweetie.

Hugs, be strong
Moldova

The following user gives a hug of support to Moldova:
ShadNuke (05-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
(male)

ShadNuke HB User
Re: Psoriatic Arthritis- Methotrexade's effectiveness?

Hey there, I myself suffer from RA also. I personally tried methotrexate in pill form, and injection form. I had very little relief from it in either form, but my father in law who suffers from RA also, uses it and has no issues with it, and it works wonders for him. It was one of the first meds they tried me on, along with hydroxychloroquine. I have been thru many since to no avail. It all comes down to how well you respond to the drug itself. Some have it work wonders for them, and then there are people like me who have to go into the drugs that cost upwards of $5000 a month or the same per injection/infusion. Hopefully you will see some relief soon! Hang in there!

Kevin

Old 06-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
(female)

painpearls HB User
Smile Re: Psoriatic Arthritis- Methotrexade's effectiveness?

Hi! I'm a newbie here also, although I have been coming here for information for quite a while! I have Psoriatic Arthritis, the spondylitis type. It affects my hips and spine primarily, and has done a great deal of damage to date. Unfortunately it was 5 or 6 years after onset that I got to a good rhumatologist who finally diagnosed me and started aggressive treatment. I started with Methotrexate. The nausea was terrible for me, so he switched me to Plaquenil. That did the same thing so I went to another... ultimately I ended up on Enbrel, which I inject once weekly at home and gives me no trouble. The only complaint I could possibly squeeze out is being sleepy the following day sometimes. It is reported to help with the pain and inflammation as well as preventing damage. I can't say I've noticed a difference in my symptoms but my Dr says that everything looks to be stable and not actively deteriorating so I'm more than happy with that. Anything at this point to not get worse. Aside from that I take Celebrex and some pretty hefty pain meds to manage things some days. It really is trial and error finding something that works well for you, and it may take some time to see what works best but hang in there! I am very active and probably am my own worst enemy in causing flare ups, lol. But I refuse to lie down and be the victim. I finaly stopped working in October, at my Drs recommendation. I'm 40 by the way. And got this years after guttate psoriasis, which was an autoimmune breaction to strep throat of all things! Nasty little virus! Always count your blessings sweetie, and it'll never be too much for you! Xoxoxo

Reply Reply

Tags
arthritis, methotrexate, psoriatic arthritis