It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
(female)

Chalkey HB User
Knee and leg pain

Hello,

I have just been told by the doctor after he viewed my x-ray that I do not need surgery for my extremely painful right knee.
The pain runs down the outer side of the leg and I can only walk about 5 minutes if that before the pain stops me.
The doctor suggested 2 extra strength Ibuprofen and 2 extra strength Tylenol twice a day.
It relieves the pain for a short while but comes back with a vengeance.
I also bought a patellar knee support but that makes it worse.
Has anyone else had this problem and what was their answer?
It came on very suddenly and I have always been a walker, only 40 minutes a day, no marathon but can't even do a fraction of that time now.
Any solutions?

The Following User Says Thank You to Chalkey For This Useful Post:
bregnaut (11-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Knee and leg pain

It could actually be related to the muscles in your thigh. Try stretching your hamstring and quadriceps. Also, I like to roll my legs out on a foam roller. If you don't have one, you can try putting a tennis ball under your leg.

If that doesn't work, though, see an orthopedic surgeon who works with knees a lot, and get an MRI. That much tylenol and ibuprofen is a short-term solution, not a long-term one.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Chalkey (05-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
(female)

sawa108 HB Usersawa108 HB User

I have extreme pain in my right knee and foot. I have seen 5 doctors and had two nerve conductive tests. I have had injections, been on pain meds and still had pain. Drs. don't want to operate. What is working for me to help alleviate pain is ice, taking bromelain (a natural product made from pineapples) and fish oil with no side effects like the pain meds gave me. The nerve pain is the worst but so far I am handling it. I have a third nerve test scheduled for June. I think mine comes from the L-5 pinching in my spine and sciatica pain as well as knee arthritis. Magnesium helps with muscle spasms.
Eating a healthier plant based diet I have to say is giving me the best results to lessen the pain because it calms inflammation in the body.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
(female)

Chalkey HB User

Thank you Sawa108,
I shall try some of your suggestions
Chalkey

Reply Reply