It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

lake county HB Userlake county HB Userlake county HB User
wrist fusion??

I basically blew up my hamate hook, went misdiagnosed for 3 months. Found a good ortho who replaced it completely but i still have complications with my ulnar and some nerve damage. He wants to fuse my joints, my wrist to be exact. I understand surgeons are like robots and all docs want to tread around pain meds. He referred me to a pain doc per my request and he wants me to come back to discuss surgery. Im 25 and honestly would rather live w the pain managed my medication for a while because i dont think im ready to have my good hand fused. Is that acceptable or will it be denied? I get good relief from my meds and i do NOT abuse. I am dependant and my doc knows it. Im just scared. Thank you all for any advise. -joey

Old 05-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: wrist fusion??

Hello and welcome on board!
I am very sorry you got such problems at such young age, but honestly I dont think anyone can have such answer for you.
It all depends what exactly is going on with your hand. Pain meds can "cover up" your pain for a while, but if this is something serious and needs immediate surgical attention, it may bring you more problems in a long run.
If I would be you, I wouldn't just ignore it and go on pain meds , but would make sure:
1. my surgeon not a knife happy and just wants me to go for surgery
2. would go for couple more opinions taking all test results, reports with me to make sure either I really need this surgery or I can wait.

Without this, you will always wonder if you do the right thing. And also you may miss something and later on will be too late to fix.
Do yourself a favor and see another opinion. And be very careful about pain medication; never forget that our bodies develop tolerance. What helps you today- will not help a month or 3 from now. You will need different strength, different names and doses. Pain meds for those who dont have other options.

Best wishes
Moldova

The Following User Says Thank You to Moldova For This Useful Post:
lake county (05-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

I appreciate it. They tried me on some non narcotic agents and they made me black out/zombify/fuzzy and it lasted some time. I would rather be on no pills but I went a week taking nothing. Mostly to see what these "withdrawls" are all about. It wasnt pleasent but the pain in my wrist and lack of sleep from it was the worst part. Ive heard from 2 docs that there is nothing to do but fuse the wrist; and it would still be painful, or do nothing and be even worse off. But there is a reason these pain meds are out there. With correct dosing and communication between doctor/patient they really do their job. Id rather be on norco than these other drugs that just put me out. I just have never been injured like this and im trying to prepare for the rest of my life i guess. Choosing options is like choosing poisons. Thank you for your words. -joey

Old 05-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I agree with you 100% about opiates. On one had i hate the fact I have no choice by live on them, on the other I always wonder if I have so much pain being on opiates, what would happen if I wouldn't?
You are right about having good communication with your good Pain mgmt DR, this is very important. I am sure you wouldnt take they if you dont have to but if you in so much pain, you need your life quality, no doubt about that.
Unfortunately I am a senior veteran when comes to being on opiates. And unfortunately in time they stop working. Of course depends on a case, depends on injury and on complications. Many surgeries and injuries heal well and people dont need them anymore or they can be on same dose or same drug for a long time and it still working.
My body tolerance is really unbelievable, my PM said I am in a very small amount of his patients who have such tolerance. Thus, doses stop working soon after I start and drugs must be changed all the time as well. And even if your tolerance is normal, it still needs to be adjusted all the time.
As someone with experience, my advice to you: agree to a higher doses only if your old doses and drugs really don't work for you. I usually wait until I cant wait anymore. Only b/c I have fear one day to hear " We tried everything and reached the ceiling, not much I can do".
Not One PM will keep bringing your doses up and up to no end, they are here to protect us. So it all depends how well you manage your pain and how communicative you with your PM.
Believe or not, my wonderful and very experienced PM yelled at me once saying its time for me to go on higher doses and change the previous drug, its not working. He knows me well by now, he doesn't have to worry with me, so I am honest with him and he honest back.
And of course, would like higher doses and stronger drug, but like I said: fear of reaching this ceiling after which nothing will ever help me.
Another fear is Fentanyl patch which is almost killed me... A lot to consider when you on such medication.

I wish you all the luck and less pain!!!
Moldova

Old 05-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

See i was pill ignorant, untill I actually started on these meds back in december. Then I did all the research i could because honestly in this day n age I would feel dumb for not resaerching the meds im on. And the options i have for my condition. I tried celebrex, arthrotec and many more non narcotics and honestly they made me feel worse than any opiate would. And the comedowns are so much worse. I cannot have a nerve block because there are too many veins and arteries in my hand. Cortisone doesnt work. And there is still a good amount i can do when properly medicated. And they may say drilling a plate the length of my hand would bring pain relief...I am not so optimistic. It would also mess with my emotions, a right hand injury is something that will always remind you that it hurts. Even the wind hurts when it brushes against. It's just a swollen ugly mass. I dont smoke/drink maybe just pot, but i have my 215. So in my case, i see opiates working. My ortho just faxed all my info to this pain doc who i havent met yet. I only pray he finds it fit as well. I dont want to come off as a pill head by saying they work, but as far as the check list they go by to put ppl on them, i should be a shoe in. Just my opinion. Thank you again for your words.

Reply Reply

Tags
arthritis, fusion, pain, wrist