It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
(male)

dinomartino4015 HB User
Shoulder

About three weeks ago, I experienced a lot of pain when I tried to raise my left arm. I tried sleeping on my right side, but my shoulder and arm still hurt when I tried to raise it. I think I may be starting to experience arthritis in my shoulder. Any suggestions for an over the counter pain reliever that targets arthritic joints especially the shoulder? Thanks.

Last edited by dinomartino4015; 06-05-2012 at 10:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Shoulder

Let me have you try a little test(I've had both shoulders operated on).

Put your arm to your side and try to raise it straight up to the side as far as you can...not forward but to the side with the palm of the hand downward. How much can you raise it and how badly does that hurt?

Jenny(bi-lateral AC joint excisions and right rotator cuff repair)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
(male)

dinomartino4015 HB User

It doesn't hurt as much when I do that. Where is does hurt seems to be on the front of my shoulder.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
(male)

dinomartino4015 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post

Put your arm to your side and try to raise it straight up to the side as far as you can...not forward but to the side with the palm of the hand downward. How much can you raise it and how badly does that hurt?

I can raise it sll the way up. It doesn't hurt as much after I took an asppiring yesterday.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
(male)

dinomartino4015 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post

I can raise it all the way up. It doesn't hurt as much after I took an aspirin yesterday.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

That's good...means you probably don't have a torn rotator cuff.

The main area for arthritis in the shoulder is where the collarbone and shoulder blade come together at the top of the shoulder(AC joint)....not in the shoulder joint itself. And just to make matters worse, there is a huge bursa under the joint that can hurt far more than the arthritic joint. So chances are, it's one of those 2 problems.

Try applying ice to the area that hurts. It takes down swelling and that eases the pain. If the muscles in the area hurt, they need heat. Improves blood flow to the muscles and reduces that pain. I frequently end up with an ice pack on the AC joint and heat on my neck muscles.

If it continues, see your doc. He/she can do a cortisone shot into that area and it will help the bursa and the joint. If and when it gets so bad you can't sleep, they can do surgery through a scope to cut off the arthritic end of the collarbone and that fixes it. Day surgery with little pain.

Hope this helps you.

Jenny

Reply Reply