It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #31
(female)

Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydena View Post
Hi Janet,

It really saddens me to know you are still suffering. Is this because you have tendonitis in your thumb? I never asked you why your doctor told you you had tendonitis. Did you pull the tendon in your thumb?

Did you order the MSM?

When I pulled the tendon in my wrist, many years ago, I had to wear an wrist gaurd with metal in it to keep my wrist from bending. I guess you cant wear a gaurd on your thumb & wrist now. It would prevent healing.

Once my cast & splint came off I never used heat, only ice packs. I also did not have any ultra sound on my hand. It just shows you the different methods
doctors use today.

Sending you hugs & faster healing Janet.

Haydena

Thanks Haydena,
I don't think they really know it's tendonitis. I didn't do anything that injured it. I did use it but thought I should. The pain there is better but still not complete and is so weak. My PT did make me a molded cast with velcro I wear when doing chores. It keeps the thumb pretty still. I did not order the MSM. I really have to. We have a huge nature center here and I keep thinking I'll run over to buy it. Thanks for the concern. Yes, doctors are all different and I wish I knew or they knew why mine is not healing. They tell me it's pretty stable but I can't squeeze or do much of anything with not strength in it without pain. I can take some pain just want to use it. I still feel numb and the scar and fatty part of my palm are numb. My therapist is really wonderful and is doing whatever she can to help me. I still go twice a week. Neverending!!! I see the Dr again the 31st. We'll see what he has to say. They use the heat first then I do all the exercises and end with the ice. She did tell me to use the ice more often around the house when I'm sore. I walked a5K today for breast cancer and it's very warm. It's pretty swollen right now so I'm going for the ice. Thanks Haydena for the concern.

Janet

The Following User Says Thank You to Janet20 For This Useful Post:
ArthritisPain (05-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #32
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet20 View Post
Thanks Haydena,
I don't think they really know it's tendonitis. I didn't do anything that injured it. I did use it but thought I should. The pain there is better but still not complete and is so weak. My PT did make me a molded cast with velcro I wear when doing chores. It keeps the thumb pretty still. I did not order the MSM. I really have to. We have a huge nature center here and I keep thinking I'll run over to buy it. Thanks for the concern. Yes, doctors are all different and I wish I knew or they knew why mine is not healing. They tell me it's pretty stable but I can't squeeze or do much of anything with not strength in it without pain. I can take some pain just want to use it. I still feel numb and the scar and fatty part of my palm are numb. My therapist is really wonderful and is doing whatever she can to help me. I still go twice a week. Neverending!!! I see the Dr again the 31st. We'll see what he has to say. They use the heat first then I do all the exercises and end with the ice. She did tell me to use the ice more often around the house when I'm sore. I walked a5K today for breast cancer and it's very warm. It's pretty swollen right now so I'm going for the ice. Thanks Haydena for the concern.

Janet
Janet you should google tendonitis & see what you come up with.

At least you have a good PT who is trying to help your hand.

I suggest you ask your doctor on 31st when you see him next if you have tendonitis or if you dont. If you do, how can he tell?

You should not have used your hand after your surgery. I am surprised your doctor didnt tell you this.

Hang in there Janet.

Hugs, Haydena.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #33
(female)

Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User

Quote:

I suggest you ask your doctor on 31st when you see him next if you have tendonitis or if you dont. If you do, how can he tell?

You should not have used your hand after your surgery. I am surprised your doctor didnt tell you this.

Hang in there Janet.

Hugs, Haydena.
Haydena,
I did google tendonitis here and there really isn't anything I don't know. I actually have less pain now just that I can't do much with the hand. Like I said it's still numb too. Believe me, I have questions for my Dr. I've considered going for a second opinion.
Thanks

Old 05-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #34
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
Haydena,
I did google tendonitis here and there really isn't anything I don't know. I actually have less pain now just that I can't do much with the hand. Like I said it's still numb too. Believe me, I have questions for my Dr. I've considered going for a second opinion.
Thanks
Janet, I am pleased you have less pain now but it should not be numb after all this time.

I think your idea of getting a second opinion is a very good one. Go for it girl!

I am also surprised your doctor didnt tell you to have an xray to see what is impeding your complete recovery.

I will go to google & see what I can find.

Take care.
Haydena.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #35
(female)

Quote:

Hang in there Janet.

Hugs, Haydena.
Haydena,
Thanks
Janet

Old 05-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #36
(female)

Quote:
Janet, I am pleased you have less pain now but it should not be numb after all this time.

I think your idea of getting a second opinion is a very good one. Go for it girl!

I am also surprised your doctor didnt tell you to have an xray to see what is impeding your complete recovery.

I will go to google & see what I can find.

Take care.
Haydena.
My Dr did do X-rays in April and said the joint is healing fine!! Didn't know why the pain etc. He told me to take traumadol which I tried and hated!! Then he said to go to PT and see him in a month. I didn't use my hand after surgery. I did exactly as told for 2 months. I did the PT then went away and used it some to pack etc. But I really took it easy. When I got home in April I had terrible pain and thus went to see him again and here I am. I'm not sure why they said tendonitis. Honestly, I don't think they know why!!! GRRRR makes me angry cause I really did what I was supposed to do. I'm actually a little better today. I hate to say it. I went for a 2 mile walk and didn't wear my splint and it's fine. Wish me luck!! haha

Old 05-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #37
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
My Dr did do X-rays in April and said the joint is healing fine!! Didn't know why the pain etc. He told me to take traumadol which I tried and hated!! Then he said to go to PT and see him in a month. I didn't use my hand after surgery. I did exactly as told for 2 months. I did the PT then went away and used it some to pack etc. But I really took it easy. When I got home in April I had terrible pain and thus went to see him again and here I am. I'm not sure why they said tendonitis. Honestly, I don't think they know why!!! GRRRR makes me angry cause I really did what I was supposed to do. I'm actually a little better today. I hate to say it. I went for a 2 mile walk and didn't wear my splint and it's fine. Wish me luck!! haha
Well maybe today is the beginning of something new!! Oh I do hope so.
Just remind me please when you had your surgery because somehow I dont think you need to be wearing a splint now.

The only time you should wear the splint is if you are using your hand.
My osteopath told me not to wear the splint 2 months after my surgery as it restricted my hand movements.

I searched google. What you need to do is to type in the search box, tendonitis after thumb carpometa-carpal surgery. There is a load of info there.

Ask your doctor why he told you, you have tendonitis, please. I'd love to hear his answer!

GOOD LUCK Janet. Lots of it!!

Haydena.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #38
(female)

Quote:
Well maybe today is the beginning of something new!! Oh I do hope so.
Just remind me please when you had your surgery because somehow I dont think you need to be wearing a splint now.

The only time you should wear the splint is if you are using your hand.
My osteopath told me not to wear the splint 2 months after my surgery as it restricted my hand movements.

I searched google. What you need to do is to type in the search box, tendonitis after thumb carpometa-carpal surgery. There is a load of info there.

Ask your doctor why he told you, you have tendonitis, please. I'd love to hear his answer!

GOOD LUCK Janet. Lots of it!!

Haydena.
I had my surgery Nov 16th!!!! 6 months ago. I have a very small one to keep my thumb still so the tendonitis doesn't flare up again. The therapist made me that. She wants me to use it but not until all the pain is gone. Thanks Haydena maybe this is the beginning to the end!! I want to hear his answer too. He's very laid back and does these surgeries all the time. But this is my right hand and enough is enough!!
I'll google what you posted.
Janet

Old 05-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #39
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I had my surgery Nov 16th!!!! 6 months ago. I have a very small one to keep my thumb still so the tendonitis doesn't flare up again. The therapist made me that. She wants me to use it but not until all the pain is gone. Thanks Haydena maybe this is the beginning to the end!! I want to hear his answer too. He's very laid back and does these surgeries all the time. But this is my right hand and enough is enough!!
I'll google what you posted.
Janet
Pardon me Janet, I had a senior moment there in forgetting you wear the splint for the tendonitis.

If you do have tendonitis then yes, thats the reason after 6 months you havent recovered fully.

Ask your doctor, if I was you, I'd start crying in front of him!! men hate to see women crying. Anything to get his undivided attention!!

Keep your hand raised as much as you can.
Agreed its a bummer not having the full use of your right hand.

Haydena.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #40
(female)

I just went on again and searched what you said. There are two women who are the same as I am. One is a year out and the other was 9 months. Both are in their 60's. I'm 68 today. One lady had both knees replaced and said this was harder!! OMG. both were from 2009. I'd love to hear how they are. Well, now I know I'm not the only one!

Last edited by moderator2; 05-20-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #41
Veteran
(female)

Wow, I am shocked to hear that our surgery was/is harder than the knee surgery. Its so very weird that I healed so fast & was able to re-use my hand after 2. 1/2 months.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-20-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #42
(female)

ArthritisPain HB User

Janet, Do you happen to still have the link for the lady who had both knees replaced and the thumb surgery? I am facing knee replacements and would really appreciate reading what she had to say.

Don't five up on getting a second opinion if yu aren't satisfied with what you doc has to say.

Lyn

Is today your birthday? If so, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ArthritisPain; 05-20-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #43
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthritisPain View Post
Janet, Do you happen to still have the link for the lady who had both knees replaced and the thumb surgery? I am facing knee replacements and would really appreciate reading what she had to say.

Don't five up on getting a second opinion if yu aren't satisfied with what you doc has to say.

Lyn

Is today your birthday? If so, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!

AP we are not allowed to give links on this forum.
Scroll up to see what I told Janet to type in the google search box.

Janet, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, your present for today is ''less pain'' YAY.
all the very best to you. xxx

Haydena.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #44
(female)

Quote:
Wow, I am shocked to hear that our surgery was/is harder than the knee surgery. Its so very weird that I healed so fast & was able to re-use my hand after 2. 1/2 months.

Pity that board was closed. Try looking on this board to see if you can gather more info?
I have 2 friends that had this surgery who I know well. One was like you and the other is better than I but still has some pain. We all had the same Dr. I've talked to other women at golf who know someone who's had this and most of them healed quickly and one had to have it redone. Not my Dr!! So it depends on how bad it was and the luck of the draw. I've always healed so quickly my family is wondering why too. I do most things now just have no strength. but like I said the therapist is really onto it and kept me 1 1/2 hrs on Friday. She massaged etc etc but tried not to overwork me. I even lifted a 1 lb wt!! Yea. I used to work out with 10lbs! I'll get there but i hope it's sooner not later.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #45
(female)

Quote:
Hi Thmbsup,

If your cast is not well-fitting due to your hand being less swollen, then yes, you should call your doctor & tell him this. Casts usually have to be snug fitting. If he does remove your cast, cream it well before he fits the new cast
onto your hand/arm, the moisturizing of the cream is what your skin really needs. He may however decide to relieve you of the cast & give you some kind of splint.

You also need to ask him if you are allowed to use your hand & thumb as you are doing now. I think you ache & have pain around 7pm because you have over-used your hand during the day.

No need to suffer in silence & I hope you get this matter resolved soon.

Haydena.
Hi Thumbsup!
Wow, back to work at 4 wks. You are brave and what a great husband. I was a teacher so I know how important this time of year is. Your kids sound very helpful and understanding. Not easy for you. I too would let the Dr know if your cast is that loose. Mine was not loose and this time is important for the proper healing. Let us know what happens.
I went to my Dr again yesterday. My healing is not going great. I am 6 mos. out now and still have pain in my thumb and feel stiff. He says now I have scar tissue that has formed and gave me a cortisone shot. I didn't want it but I'm allergic to all anti inflammatory drugs. I feel a little numb today and hope it works to calm down the pain. He says I'm not healing like most and is not sure why. So I'm off PT for 3 wks to see how this works then who knows. I'm trying to left light weights now and walk and keep myself going.
You sound like things are going well. Don't overdo!!
Take care
Janet

The following user gives a hug of support to Janet20:
thmbsup (06-01-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Janet20 For This Useful Post:
thmbsup (06-01-2012)
Closed Thread