It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #46
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: santa barbara, ca
Posts: 16
thmbsup HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet20 View Post
Hi Thumbsup!
Wow, back to work at 4 wks. You are brave and what a great husband. I was a teacher so I know how important this time of year is. Your kids sound very helpful and understanding. Not easy for you. I too would let the Dr know if your cast is that loose. Mine was not loose and this time is important for the proper healing. Let us know what happens.
I went to my Dr again yesterday. My healing is not going great. I am 6 mos. out now and still have pain in my thumb and feel stiff. He says now I have scar tissue that has formed and gave me a cortisone shot. I didn't want it but I'm allergic to all anti inflammatory drugs. I feel a little numb today and hope it works to calm down the pain. He says I'm not healing like most and is not sure why. So I'm off PT for 3 wks to see how this works then who knows. I'm trying to left light weights now and walk and keep myself going.
You sound like things are going well. Don't overdo!!
Take care
Janet
Hi Janet,
I'm so sorry to hear that you are struggling with recovery. I have to say that my one complaint is that my doctor was not more realistic about the seriousness of this surgery and the daunting recovery process. While they did talk about "full recovery" occurring at about one year, the true extent of the ongoing disability and pain was definitely minimized. I hope that the next few months will hold better news for you, and that your doctor will find a course of treatment that aids your full recovery.

As for work, I feel pretty useless, but I'm doing the best I can with only one hand I went to a movie with my husband tonight and boy was that a mistake--talk about aching, stabbing pain! I feel like I shouldn't need to take the 1/2 Percocet at night anymore after four weeks, but I really pay the price when I go without it in the evening. I'm calling my doctor Monday to discuss the loose cast, and pain concerns... I was really given no post-op instructions other than "limited use of the fingers," what does that even mean--ha, ha!

I'll keep you posted, and I'll be sending healing thoughts your way

Take Care,
Chadley
__________________
CMC Arthroplasty w/ LRTI
5/2/2012

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 06-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #47
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baldwinsville, NY, USA
Posts: 102
Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmbsup View Post
Hi Janet,
I'm so sorry to hear that you are struggling with recovery. I have to say that my one complaint is that my doctor was not more realistic about the seriousness of this surgery and the daunting recovery process. While they did talk about "full recovery" occurring at about one year, the true extent of the ongoing disability and pain was definitely minimized. I hope that the next few months will hold better news for you, and that your doctor will find a course of treatment that aids your full recovery.

As for work, I feel pretty useless, but I'm doing the best I can with only one hand I went to a movie with my husband tonight and boy was that a mistake--talk about aching, stabbing pain! I feel like I shouldn't need to take the 1/2 Percocet at night anymore after four weeks, but I really pay the price when I go without it in the evening. I'm calling my doctor Monday to discuss the loose cast, and pain concerns... I was really given no post-op instructions other than "limited use of the fingers," what does that even mean--ha, ha!

I'll keep you posted, and I'll be sending healing thoughts your way

Take Care,
Chadley
Hi Chadley,
Thanks for the kind thoughts. I feel like you and told my Dr so on Thurs. I had no idea it would be like this. I can understand why you take the percoset. I didn't go anywhere except with family for quite a while. I had mine done Nov 14th and went to Boston with my kids for Christmas but really didn't do much. I thought the pain was OK back then. Now I've had it. This new development of scar tissue in there has put me over the edge. I cannot take most drugs most of you all take. Thus the cortisone shot on Thurs. But it aches if I try to use it or move it. I do almost everything an am really good now with my left hand. But I feel like my life is on hold. I can't golf, which I love. We live on a golf course and that is my social life. I walk with them and putt. Boring!!!!
Sorry you are in so much pain but I'd get that cast checked out and take it easy!! This is the time to rest it and ice it.
I wish you well too and let us know what the Dr says. Sounds like our DRS think alike. Mine made this sound like it was a walk in the park!!
Janet

 
Old 06-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #48
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel.
Posts: 384
Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet20 View Post
Hi Chadley,
Thanks for the kind thoughts. I feel like you and told my Dr so on Thurs. I had no idea it would be like this. I can understand why you take the percoset. I didn't go anywhere except with family for quite a while. I had mine done Nov 14th and went to Boston with my kids for Christmas but really didn't do much. I thought the pain was OK back then. Now I've had it. This new development of scar tissue in there has put me over the edge. I cannot take most drugs most of you all take. Thus the cortisone shot on Thurs. But it aches if I try to use it or move it. I do almost everything an am really good now with my left hand. But I feel like my life is on hold. I can't golf, which I love. We live on a golf course and that is my social life. I walk with them and putt. Boring!!!!
Sorry you are in so much pain but I'd get that cast checked out and take it easy!! This is the time to rest it and ice it.
I wish you well too and let us know what the Dr says. Sounds like our DRS think alike. Mine made this sound like it was a walk in the park!!
Janet
Hi Janet,

After reading your latest post how about you getting a second opinion? I know doctors/surgeons dont like ''cleaning up other surgeons mistakes'' but my gutt feeling tells me something has gone wrong with your hand.
Remember you were told you had tendonitis? now he tells you the pain is from scar tissue!
My question is how can he tell? Did he give you an ultra sound on your hand?
You didnt have any pins inserted & after 6 months of surgery you should be now well on the road to be able to use your hand without any pain.
Something just doesnt add up here for me.

Of course you are frustrated & I am really sorry about your lack of proper healing.

I apologize for my depressing post to you, I just feel that something is wrong & you need to do something about it.

Hugs,
Haydena.

 
Old 06-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #49
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baldwinsville, NY, USA
Posts: 102
Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydena View Post
Hi Janet,

After reading your latest post how about you getting a second opinion? I know doctors/surgeons dont like ''cleaning up other surgeons mistakes'' but my gutt feeling tells me something has gone wrong with your hand.
Remember you were told you had tendonitis? now he tells you the pain is from scar tissue!
My question is how can he tell? Did he give you an ultra sound on your hand?
You didnt have any pins inserted & after 6 months of surgery you should be now well on the road to be able to use your hand without any pain.
Something just doesnt add up here for me.

Of course you are frustrated & I am really sorry about your lack of proper healing.

I apologize for my depressing post to you, I just feel that something is wrong & you need to do something about it.

Hugs,
Haydena.
Hi Haydena,
We've all been saying the same thing. The only thing is that I had another surgery where scar tissue formed and was very painful. I had a frozen shoulder years ago and had to have PT to break the tissue. I heal quickly but the darn scar tissue forms. I am doubting my Dr too believe me. If this cortisone shot does not work and after I see him in 3 wks I'll definitely call another Dr. This Dr is supposed to the best hand man in Central NY. So I keep thinking it's something I did. I did have pins in my joint and they were removed when the cast came off.
I'm leaving on Tues for a mini college reunion in Carmel, CA. Then when I return we go to New Jersey for my nephew's college graduation party. After that my daughter from Alaska arrives with her 3 yr old and all three of my kids and 4 grandkids will all be here. So I have lots to look forward to. Just wish I had this all behind me.
Thanks so much Haydena for always being on this board. Talking to you and the others has been good for me. I'm positive something good will happen soon.

I know your grandchild is due soon. Please let me know when he/she arrives. It's the best!!

Janet

 
Old 06-03-2012, 02:39 AM   #50
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel.
Posts: 384
Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Hi Janet,

I googled ''scar tissue after surgery'' & read all about why scar tissue forms.

It's not something that you did. It's when infection sets in. We are not permitted to give out links on this forum so I suggest you do a search on the web about your problem.

You have alot of fun activities to look forward to which will take your mind off your hand. Enjoy, enjoy.

Round about the end of July my daughter will give birth to my 1st grandchild & I will definately let you know.

Take good care,
Haydena.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-03-2012 at 07:58 AM.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to Haydena For This Useful Post:
Janet20 (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #51
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baldwinsville, NY, USA
Posts: 102
Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
Smile Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

I did google scar tissue and read some good articles. I've talked to a friend who had a hip done and had scar tissue. He still suffers and had a second surgery. Sounds like if this cortisone doesn't work, then it has to be massaged and worked to break it. This is what happened to my shoulder. It took over 6 months for that. I'm up for it. I go back to the Dr in a couple of weeks to see the next step. Thanks for the advice!!
Janet

Last edited by moderator2; 06-03-2012 at 07:56 AM.

 
Old 06-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #52
Junior Member
(female)
 
csidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 19
csidney HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Janet ...so sorry to hear that you are having such a time of it. Hope your vacations help to lift your spirits.

 
Old 07-11-2012, 01:51 AM   #53
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Johannesburg South Africa
Posts: 9
positiveP HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Hi Haydena,
I have basal joint arthritis in both my hands. I am currently in alot of pain and have cortisone injections 3 time per year. I would like to do the surgery. I was inspired by your post. Does the pain go away totally and never come back? I can imagine a day without pain. Would love to hear from you.

Paola
positiveP

 
Old 07-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #54
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel.
Posts: 384
Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveP View Post
Hi Haydena,
I have basal joint arthritis in both my hands. I am currently in alot of pain and have cortisone injections 3 time per year. I would like to do the surgery. I was inspired by your post. Does the pain go away totally and never come back? I can imagine a day without pain. Would love to hear from you.

Paola
positiveP
Hello Paola,

Sorry to hear that you are in alot pf pain with your hands. Cortisone injections only help temporarlly, they are not for long term pain management, in your case.
If the surgery is done correctly & if you rest you hand, meaning dont use it for as long as you are told not to use it, then yes, the surgery does help.
I am 14 months post-surgery & I have no pain in my left hand whatsoever.
I healed fast & very well.

This surgery is known to be a successful one. You should consider having it done, but not on both hands at the same time as you need to have the use of one hand whilst the other hand is healing.

Any further questions you may have, feel free to ask me.

Haydena.

PS.
Paola, I suggest you go to the very beginning of this thread & read all the posts here so you can get more information about this surgery. There are also more threads about this surgery on this forum which will be very helpful for you to read.

Last edited by Haydena; 07-11-2012 at 02:29 AM. Reason: needed to add more information

 
Old 07-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #55
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel.
Posts: 384
Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

FOR JANET.

Hi Janet,

I have been thinking about you & would like to know how you are doing? How is your hand?
Did you get another opinion for your hand?

Haydena.

 
Old 07-11-2012, 03:11 AM   #56
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Johannesburg South Africa
Posts: 9
positiveP HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Dear Haydena,
thank you for replying so quickly. I am at my wits end with the pain, my doctor does not want to do the surgery, says we should do the "conservative route" using the injections. But the injections only help a little and I still need to take anti-inflammatory medication to function, and even then I am not pain free. I love doing yoga, but am finding it increasingly difficult to do, my quality of life at this time is not good, even though I have a positive mind-set, having constant pain is very exhausting.
Is it my right to insist on the surgery?
Did you have surgery on both your hands?

Thanks
Paola

 
Old 07-11-2012, 03:24 AM   #57
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Johannesburg South Africa
Posts: 9
positiveP HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Hi Janet,
I am so glad I found this forum, I sometimes feel very alone as no one around me understands the pain I have. People take using their hands for granted and don't realise that you use your hands all day long! I hope your hand is getting better. You ladies have inspired me to go ahead with the surgery, I also need both hands done, I think my left hand is the worst, so will do that one first. So we are looking at two years, one for each hand for full recovery?? A small sacrifice I say.

Take Care
Paola

 
Old 07-11-2012, 03:42 AM   #58
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel.
Posts: 384
Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveP View Post
Dear Haydena,
thank you for replying so quickly. I am at my wits end with the pain, my doctor does not want to do the surgery, says we should do the "conservative route" using the injections. But the injections only help a little and I still need to take anti-inflammatory medication to function, and even then I am not pain free. I love doing yoga, but am finding it increasingly difficult to do, my quality of life at this time is not good, even though I have a positive mind-set, having constant pain is very exhausting.
Is it my right to insist on the surgery?
Did you have surgery on both your hands?

Thanks
Paola
Paola hi again,

Your doctor is wrong & you should not have to suffer the debilitating pain.

I advise you to look for another doctor/surgeon as soon as possible.

From what you say, your present doctor does not believe in surgery so you are wasting your time & money being a patient of his.

The reason for your pain is loss of cartilage. There is nothing known today, nothing can be boughtin a drug store to relieve this pain completely. As I said in my previous post to you, cortisone injections do not help in the long run. Anti-inflams are also not so healthy for you to take on a long term basis as they are known to affect the stomach linning.Only surgery, when part of the tendon in your wrist or arm is taken out & wrapped around the bone/s in your thumb.

The pain you have in your hands is not going to improve & will not go away if you dont have this surgery. It's as simple as that!

I had this surgery only on my left hand. I will have to have it on my right hand round about the beginning of next year. The pain is bareable now.

You ask if it's your right to insist on this surgery. YES it is, but if your present doctor does not want to do it, there is nothing you can do, only find another doctor/surgeon, which I strongly advise you to do.

Get yourself 4 ice packs & place one on each hand whilst the other 2 are in the freezer. Ice helps to ease the pain.
No one needs to be in pain when there is the possibility of surgery.

Let me know what you decide & I wish you good luck in finding another opinion.

Haydena.

Last edited by Haydena; 07-11-2012 at 03:43 AM. Reason: to correct spelling mistake

 
Old 07-11-2012, 04:04 AM   #59
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Johannesburg South Africa
Posts: 9
positiveP HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Thanks Haydena, my thoughts exactly!!
I just needed to hear it from someone else "in my shoes" It's easy to dish out advice when you don't have the pain.
Have a great day, speak to you soon.
Paola

 
Old 07-11-2012, 04:12 AM   #60
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel.
Posts: 384
Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveP View Post
Thanks Haydena, my thoughts exactly!!
I just needed to hear it from someone else "in my shoes" It's easy to dish out advice when you don't have the pain.
Have a great day, speak to you soon.
Paola
You are very welcome Paola,

All you need is support & the ''push'' to change things.

Dont forget to get yourself 4 ice packs from your pharmacy. They will help the pain a bit.

You have yourself a good day & hang in there.

Haydena.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story dajo Arthritis 238 05-11-2012 04:09 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Bextra
Celebrex
Enbrel
Humira Ibuprofen
  Methotrexate
Mobic
Prednisone
Tylenol
Vioxx




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



jennybyc (108), Haydena (90), Moldova (47), margarita889 (23), d j (21), Janet20 (16), ladybud (13), dajo (10), Greengal04 (10), gingertea (8)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1006), Apollo123 (906), Titchou (850), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:35 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!