It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 05:39 AM   #61
(female)

Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydena View Post
FOR JANET.

Hi Janet,

I have been thinking about you & would like to know how you are doing? How is your hand?
Did you get another opinion for your hand?

Haydena.

Hi Haydena,
I saw my internist yesterday and she is getting me into another hand Dr soon. They will call me today with the first available appt. I see my hand Dr tomorrow as another follow up. He gave me another cortisone shot two weeks ago. I will tell him I'm going for another opinion and ask for my records and X-rays to be sent. My internist agreed that something else is going on for me to still be unable to lift or pinch without pain. My blood pressure was 92/58!! Chronic pain does weird things she said. I'll keep you updated on the new diagnosis.
Thanks for the concern. Has the new baby arrived yet? My daugters and grandkids were here for 2wks. All gone now but I had such a good time.

Janet

Old 07-11-2012, 05:54 AM   #62
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet20 View Post
Hi Haydena,
I saw my internist yesterday and she is getting me into another hand Dr soon. They will call me today with the first available appt. I see my hand Dr tomorrow as another follow up. He gave me another cortisone shot two weeks ago. I will tell him I'm going for another opinion and ask for my records and X-rays to be sent. My internist agreed that something else is going on for me to still be unable to lift or pinch without pain. My blood pressure was 92/58!! Chronic pain does weird things she said. I'll keep you updated on the new diagnosis.
Thanks for the concern. Has the new baby arrived yet? My daugters and grandkids were here for 2wks. All gone now but I had such a good time.

Janet
Hi Janet,

Good that you will be seeing another hand orthoped. You have suffered enough.
If your present doctor offers you another cortisone shot, I advise you not to have it, as it does'nt help in the long run.
When your blood pressure is so low its best to drink a cup of coffee which will raise it. Poor you, I am so sorry all this has been such a long drawn out horrible experience for you. Hopefully the new doctor will be able to help you FAST.

No baby has'nt arrived yet. She should be making her entrance round about 20th July & I will for sure let you know.

Wonderful that your kids & grandkids were with you for 2 weeks.

Good luck Janet & take good care.

Hugs, Haydena.

The Following User Says Thank You to Haydena For This Useful Post:
Janet20 (07-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2012, 06:10 AM   #63
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydena View Post
You are very welcome Paola,

All you need is support & the ''push'' to change things.

Dont forget to get yourself 4 ice packs from your pharmacy. They will help the pain a bit.

You have yourself a good day & hang in there.

Haydena.
Paola, I forgot to tell you to look for an orthopedic hand surgeon (not just an orthopedic surgeon)

Old 07-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #64
(female)

positiveP HB User

Hi Haydene,
I do in fact see an orthopedic hand surgeon, who honestly I do trust and comes highly recommended. I am going for new X-rays next month so he can access the damage! I think we will take it from there. I will probably ask him to schedule surgery for November, which is summer here in South Africa.

The following user gives a hug of support to positiveP:
Haydena (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #65
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveP View Post
Hi Haydene,
I do in fact see an orthopedic hand surgeon, who honestly I do trust and comes highly recommended. I am going for new X-rays next month so he can access the damage! I think we will take it from there. I will probably ask him to schedule surgery for November, which is summer here in South Africa.
Hi Poala,

Its actually better for you to have the surgery in winter or autumn because its easier on you if your hand & arm has to be in a cast. (plaster of paris-pardon my spelling)
Hot weather is not your friend for this surgery!!

Let me know the results of your xrays next month.

Haydena.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #66
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

Good Morning Ladies,

Day 14 post op from surgery on right hand. Got my hard cast on yesterday, hot pink for summer! I have to wear it for 3 weeks this time instead of two. I think it's because of 'clicking' sounds in my wrist. My surgeon checked it out and told me what was going on. My wrist needs to be stabilized for a while.

I cannot believe this surgery on my right hand is the same surgery I had on the left hand! I had to see the incisions for proof! It has been soooo easy. My right hand is already stronger than my left (surgery 2/15). I've had none of the issues I had with my left at this point. I feel so lucky! I have orders to have more physical therapy on my left hand...2-3 times a week for 4-6 weeks. My strength is diminishing since I have not been able to do the massaging every day. My husband tried to do it, but he is too gentle and I can't get through to him he needs to massage it, not just rub lotion into it!

Welcome to the board, Paola! I've found it to be a wealth of information.

Janet, I am so glad you are seeing another doctor for your hand. I hope he can get to the bottom of the pain. I'm hoping more PT will help my left hand - especially now that I know the surgery can be so much easier and less painful. We'll see.

Haydena, time is drawing near...are you excited? My next grandbaby is due August 15. It's a boy....for a total of 3 boys and 1 girl. I think there may be another on the way....it too early right now to say for sure. I'll take all I can get! Grandchildren surely enrich your life!

Hope you are all well!

Old 07-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #67
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertea View Post
Good Morning Ladies,

Day 14 post op from surgery on right hand. Got my hard cast on yesterday, hot pink for summer! I have to wear it for 3 weeks this time instead of two. I think it's because of 'clicking' sounds in my wrist. My surgeon checked it out and told me what was going on. My wrist needs to be stabilized for a while.

I cannot believe this surgery on my right hand is the same surgery I had on the left hand! I had to see the incisions for proof! It has been soooo easy. My right hand is already stronger than my left (surgery 2/15). I've had none of the issues I had with my left at this point. I feel so lucky! I have orders to have more physical therapy on my left hand...2-3 times a week for 4-6 weeks. My strength is diminishing since I have not been able to do the massaging every day. My husband tried to do it, but he is too gentle and I can't get through to him he needs to massage it, not just rub lotion into it!

Janet, I am so glad you are seeing another doctor for your hand. I hope he can get to the bottom of the pain. I'm hoping more PT will help my left hand - especially now that I know the surgery can be so much easier and less painful. We'll see.

Haydena, time is drawing near...are you excited? My next grandbaby is due August 15. It's a boy....for a total of 3 boys and 1 girl. I think there may be another on the way....it too early right now to say for sure. I'll take all I can get! Grandchildren surely enrich your life!

Hope you are all well!
Wow, Ginger, you must have read my mind in that I was thinking about how you are just a few minutes ago & intended to leave you a message here !!

Good to hear from you & I am so pleased your hand is doing so well. I wonder why there is such a huge difference in the healing of both your hands??
You need to ask your PT about that one. (dont forget to let us know the answer)

I was with my daughter today at her gynie who told her, the baby is ready to ''come out''-so any day now we will have another addition to our growing family. YAY!! Oh yes I am very excited & I hope we will have finished buying all the necessary equipment that a baby needs, before she arrives.

Wow 3 boys & 1 girl, who no doubt will bring you all much joy. This is all very exciting & its what we all look forward to.

I hope the healing of your left hand improves Ginger.

Take good care.

Haydena

Old 07-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #68
(female)

Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
Wink re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertea View Post
Good Morning Ladies,

Hope you are all well!
Ginger
So glad you are doing well. It does sound amazing that your right hand is so much easier than that left. I'm so looking forward to getting rid of my pain once and for all.
Yes, grandkids are the best. I love the 3yr old stage. So adorable and the work is less. I agree the more the merrier. I have two girls, two boys and I'm in heaven. They just make it all better for me and they're so understanding of my hand pain. So cute!!
Great you have more on the way too!!

Old 07-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #69
(female)

positiveP HB User

Hi Haydena,
Oh dear, I was hoping to do the surgery asap! It is winter here now and no time to do it. I am sure it must be hot with cast on, but I am sure I can handle it, anything is better than living in pain forever To say one is excited about an operation sounds weird, and I realise this is a long haul to recovery, especially as both hands have to be done, but I am feeling positive now that this can be fixed. Thanks for all your help!
I see you have grandchildren. I only have step-grandchildren, my step-children have kids. My own children are 30 years daughter - no children career woman, my son is 23.
My daughter has bipolar disorder so quite risky to have kids as she has to come off her medication, not a good idea

take care
Paola

Old 07-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #70
(female)

positiveP HB User

Hi Ginger,
Thank you.
Wow I will be having the exact same operations as you. Left hand first as this one seems to be the worst. I am so relieved to be able to discuss this with all of you. Some questions if I may, are you not allowed to use your hand at all after the operation? How long before you can drive, cook, write etc. etc.

Paola

Old 07-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #71
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hi Haydena,
Oh dear, I was hoping to do the surgery asap! It is winter here now and no time to do it. I am sure it must be hot with cast on, but I am sure I can handle it, anything is better than living in pain forever To say one is excited about an operation sounds weird, and I realise this is a long haul to recovery, especially as both hands have to be done, but I am feeling positive now that this can be fixed. Thanks for all your help!
I see you have grandchildren. I only have step-grandchildren, my step-children have kids. My own children are 30 years daughter - no children career woman, my son is 23.
My daughter has bipolar disorder so quite risky to have kids as she has to come off her medication, not a good idea

take care
Paola
Hi Paola,

My daughter is expecting her first child in 1 week. This will be my first grandchild. I am sorry to hear your daughter has bi-polar & has stopped taking her meds.

As long as you are wearing a cast, you should not drive. We are not insured to drive here with a cast on either one of our hands. You need to find out the laws about driving with a cast on in SA.

Whilst your hand is in a cast, you should not be using it at all, for anything. You need to rest the hand so it will heal properly.

When your cast comes off your hand, you will go into some sort of splint/hand guard. Either you will be allowed to remove this for showering or not. I was not allowed to remove my splint. I wore a plastic sleeve over my arm that reached my shoulder, for showering.

I did not use my hand for about 5 weeks & I healed really well. We all heal at a different pace & you need to ask your surgeon when you can use your hand.

The recovery process of this surgery is not difficult & can be done if you rest your hand.

Any more questions, dont hesitate to ask.

Take care,
Haydena.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #72
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

Quote:
Hi Ginger,
Thank you.
Wow I will be having the exact same operations as you. Left hand first as this one seems to be the worst. I am so relieved to be able to discuss this with all of you. Some questions if I may, are you not allowed to use your hand at all after the operation? How long before you can drive, cook, write etc. etc.

Paola
Hi Paola,

All doctors seem to have their own ideas on how to take care of your hand after surgery. Mine said nothing heavier than a coffee cup for 6-8 weeks.
I had a surgical cast (big & bulky) for two weeks. You can't do anthing with that lump. I have a plaster cast for 3 weeks, but I'm not supposed to do anything except wiggle my fingers. After that I will be in a removeable gauntlet style brace for 4 weeks. That has to be worn 24/7 except to take a shower and still no lifting. After that I start physical therapy. My recovery from the second surgery is going well. I had to see the incisions to believe they really did the surgery. My hand is strong and I feel like I could probably use it.

My first surgery is more of a problem. I'm having trouble getting my hand to do anything. It is still very stiff and it feels like the nerve endings are on the surface of my skin, especially in the scar area. My surgeon is sending me back to physical therapy to work out the kinks.

As for driving, my surgeon would prefer you didn't for 8 weeks or after all casts, braces are removed. I know some people drive with their cast on, but you will have to look up the driving laws where you live. You could be charged with driving impaired. This wasn't a problem for me...my hand wouldn't move enough to drive after the 1st surgery.

I am right handed, and I cannot write at all. My cast is positioned so my thumb is isolated from the rest of my hand. There is no way to grip a pen.
As far as simple household chores, I've been able to do most everything that doesn't involve getting my hand in water, or heavy lifting. I do have to be careful not to use my right hand ...it is so much stronger than my left after only 2 1/2 weeks I forget it's the 'bad' hand!

I also had carpal tunnel release surgery on both hands with the basal joint surgery. Except for the fact I have 2 scars on each hand I don't think it hampers the recovery.

I opted to have my surgeries closer together rather than spreading them out. The first was done in winter and it was too cold to get out. I wanted to have warmer weather for this recovery and not worry about slip sliding in the snow and ice.

Hope all goes well for you! Let us know when you schedule surgery, we'll be watching for your posts.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #73
(female)

positiveP HB User

Hi Ladies,
It is a cold winters day here, the wind is howling brrrr. Today my hands are not so bad I had the cortisone injections 2 weeks ago and only now seems to be taking effect. I try not to take any anti-inflams if I can help it. I will probably only do surgery end of the year on left hand. My problem is, is that I work full time so having these operations will be a real challenge as I cannot take too much time off work. Anyway will cross that bridge when the time comes.
Haydena good luck with your first grandchild, it must be so exciting!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend
Paola

Old 07-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #74
(female)

Hi Ladies,
Just wanted to check in with all of you to say I first went to my Internist and she agreed I needed a 2nd opinion on why I still have pain and cannot use my right hand properly. I can't lift, pinch or golf!! I went last Wed to a new Hand Surgeon and totally new practice. He was a little young but I instantly fell in love with him. Not really but you know what I mean! He explained that this surgery has a 92% success rate but unfortunately I'm in the 8% where it did not work. He went over my options, after examining me, looking at my X-rays and reading my reports. He told me he'd tell me if he thought my first Dr did something wrong even though he doesn't like doing that. The results are that my first Dr did nothing wrong and my hand just isn't healing properly from the tendon he used. This new Dr studied at Johns Hopkins in hand reconstruction. I was very emotional while he was explaining all this and he handed me tissues and told me he'd do whatever he could to rectify this. Like I said I was with him an hour and in the office for 2. I loved the nurses too. He is operating on me Aug 3rd, next Friday. I wanted to get this over with. He will remove the tendon and then see how the nerves are there as well. It's quite complicated and too much for me to write here. But I will have to have a cast -AGAIN- for 4 weeks and one pin he thinks. Last time I had 2. I went home last time with a big bulky thing and 10 days later got the cast. I'm not totally sure this time. I have more questions that need answers this week but I decided to do it. I have nothing to lose and hopefully with lots of prayers, this time I'll heal properly. I have been upset about the thought of doing this again after 8 months of pain but I so want this time to work. He assured me I did nothing wrong as well. We talked about PT and he wants me to go to a therapist he highly recommends. I'm sure it won't be as convenient as my last one but we'll see.
So here comes Part II of my Arthroplasty!!
Haydena are you a Grandma yet? AKLady are you all healed? Gingertea how are you doing? I can't remember everyone's name but please let me know how you are all doing. This board has really helped me the first time. I'll really need it now!

Thanks for listening ladies.

Janet

Old 07-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #75
Veteran
(female)

Hi Ladies,

Janet, I am so happy for you. At last, someone who listens. I'm praying for a speedy successful recovery!

It's been a rough week for me....My Dad needed an unplanned open-heart surgery to repair a valve and 3 blockages. It was supposed to be routine, but when they opened him up only 25% of his heart was working. To quote the doctor, he was 'on his last leg'. He is in ICU and on a heart pump and respirator and will probably remain there at least 2 more weeks. He is comfortable and continues to make small improvements. He lives across country from us and there is no way I can make the trip with these hands. It's frustrating for me, even tho I know he is getting wonderful care, and is too sedated to know I'm there. Hopefully I will be in shape to travel when he needs me at home.

My right hand continues to do well. I get my cast off next week and can't wait. I don't know why I had to wear it longer this time, but after 5 total weeks bound up I'm ready to be let loose.

My left hand continues to be a problem. It really deteriorated in a couple of weeks. My surgeon sent me back to PT, and by the time I got there my tendons were atrophying and the muscle was gone. I'm doing intensive exercises, but the tendons are hard and ropelike on the surface of my palm.

My surgeon hasn't seen it in this condition yet, but will next week. I'm curious if he has any insight why this is happening. In the meantime I just keep exercising.

Haydena, are you a grandma yet?

Hope all is well with this group. Good luck on your surgery, Janet. Keep us posted!

Closed Thread