It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #76
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baldwinsville, NY, USA
Posts: 102
Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertea View Post
Hi Ladies,

Janet, I am so happy for you. At last, someone who listens. I'm praying for a speedy successful recovery!

It's been a rough week for me....My Dad needed an unplanned open-heart surgery to repair a valve and 3 blockages. It was supposed to be routine, but when they opened him up only 25% of his heart was working. To quote the doctor, he was 'on his last leg'. He is in ICU and on a heart pump and respirator and will probably remain there at least 2 more weeks. He is comfortable and continues to make small improvements. He lives across country from us and there is no way I can make the trip with these hands. It's frustrating for me, even tho I know he is getting wonderful care, and is too sedated to know I'm there. Hopefully I will be in shape to travel when he needs me at home.

My right hand continues to do well. I get my cast off next week and can't wait. I don't know why I had to wear it longer this time, but after 5 total weeks bound up I'm ready to be let loose.

My left hand continues to be a problem. It really deteriorated in a couple of weeks. My surgeon sent me back to PT, and by the time I got there my tendons were atrophying and the muscle was gone. I'm doing intensive exercises, but the tendons are hard and ropelike on the surface of my palm.

My surgeon hasn't seen it in this condition yet, but will next week. I'm curious if he has any insight why this is happening. In the meantime I just keep exercising.

Haydena, are you a grandma yet?

Hope all is well with this group. Good luck on your surgery, Janet. Keep us posted!

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 07-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #77
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baldwinsville, NY, USA
Posts: 102
Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Hi Ginger!
Oh my I'm so sorry about your Dad!! I'm so sorry too that you can't travel now but you know he's being taken care of. When your hands are better your Dad will be too!
I'm sorry about your left hand. How dreadful. I wonder why this happened. I'm sooo glad your right hand is doing so well. I am so not looking forward to another surgery but so hope the result is worth it. Good luck with your left hand getting better. Sounds like you are in good "hands" so to speak.
I'll keep you and your Dad in my prayers. I have our prayer group at church praying for me this time too!! I'll be back on this after surgery when I can type.
Janet

 
Old 07-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #78
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Northwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada's Near North
Posts: 500
Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Hi everyone, it is nice to read your stories and journeys. My thumb has been sore for the past few months and nothing seems to be helping it. I've had several physio treatments, have tried anti-inflammatories and some massage. I recently got a splint to see if it helps. I got a cortisone shot today. When I look back, I know this joint has been an issue for about five years. I had a volar ganglion removed from that wrist five years ago. At that time, the x-rays showed arthritic changes. There was some pain that I attributed to the ganglion. That improved after the ganglion was removed. I've had some pain since then, most notably last year when I thought the ganglion had returned. The pain before would resolve with ice or Tylenol or something.

I don't know if I am heading to the surgery route. It just helps to know there are some success stories, and also that others have experienced this pain.

I asked my doctor what would happen if this cortisone shot doesn't work. She said she'd refer me to the orthopaedic surgeon to get him to give me another shot. I had my big toe joint fused three years ago by a local ortho, so if that happens, I will ask to be referred to him and will ask him more questions.

Heal well everyone.
__________________
Life is too short to wear tight shoes. ~ May you have happy feet in 2013.

Last edited by Northwind; 07-31-2012 at 10:25 PM.

 
Old 08-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #79
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baldwinsville, NY, USA
Posts: 102
Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
Hi everyone, it is nice to read your stories and journeys. My thumb has been sore for the past few months and nothing seems to be helping it. I've had several physio treatments, have tried anti-inflammatories and some massage. I recently got a splint to see if it helps. I got a cortisone shot today. When I look back, I know this joint has been an issue for about five years. I had a volar ganglion removed from that wrist five years ago. At that time, the x-rays showed arthritic changes. There was some pain that I attributed to the ganglion. That improved after the ganglion was removed. I've had some pain since then, most notably last year when I thought the ganglion had returned. The pain before would resolve with ice or Tylenol or something.

I don't know if I am heading to the surgery route. It just helps to know there are some success stories, and also that others have experienced this pain.

I asked my doctor what would happen if this cortisone shot doesn't work. She said she'd refer me to the orthopaedic surgeon to get him to give me another shot. I had my big toe joint fused three years ago by a local ortho, so if that happens, I will ask to be referred to him and will ask him more questions.

Heal well everyone.
Welcome Northwind to this board. It is nice to "talk" to others with the same pain and problem. Don't do the surgery until you really really need it. This is not easy but so many have wonderful results. I'm in the minority. I still have pain but in different areas and the wrist is still stiff. I too did the cortisone for about 4 yrs every 6mos to a year. I wish now I had waited a little longer but... I wish you the best and when you decide the time is right check in with us. We all know what you're going through! Hugs and good luck.
Janet

 
Old 08-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #80
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Northwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada's Near North
Posts: 500
Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Thanks Janet, surgery is not on my radar yet. Having had foot surgery, I know it is a big decision. I spent a few years trying conservative methods before I went to surgery for my foot. That was a simpler joint, so presumably a simpler proceedure. I am happy to note that I think the cortisone has helped. My goal is to get it settled down, then learn ways to maintain it as long as possible.
__________________
Life is too short to wear tight shoes. ~ May you have happy feet in 2013.

 
Old 08-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #81
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baldwinsville, NY, USA
Posts: 102
Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Good for you. The cortisone helped me for a while then when it stopped working I decided on the surgery. Using one hand for so long is not easy. I don't like depending on my husband for everything but he's wonderful. Just round 2 for him!! Good luck to you.

Janet

 
Old 08-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #82
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Northwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada's Near North
Posts: 500
Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet20 View Post
Good for you. The cortisone helped me for a while then when it stopped working I decided on the surgery. Using one hand for so long is not easy. I don't like depending on my husband for everything but he's wonderful. Just round 2 for him!! Good luck to you.

Janet
I had a cortisone shot in my big toe and it worked immediately. It was lovely! Sadly, it only lasted a couple of months. I don't have real high expectations for this, just a break is good. I have severe DDD in my neck, and I've learned how to manage it. I'm hoping for the same with my hand......a girl has to hope, right?
__________________
Life is too short to wear tight shoes. ~ May you have happy feet in 2013.

 
The following user gives a hug of support to Northwind:
Janet20 (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #83
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 441
gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Welcome to the board Northwind! You will get a lot of support here.

Janet, you have been in my thoughts this week as you prepare for surgery I hope everything goes perfectly for you this time.

My Dad is improving in small steps. He's still in ICU and will be until they get the problem with his lungs and kidneys worked out. His heart is doing it's job, that surgery was a success.

I saw my surgeon yesterday. I got my cast off and was surprised to see that I was still very swollen and bruised. Everything went so smoothly this time around I guess I was thinking my hand would look normal! Thankfully, I have had none of the burning pain at the surgery incisions. That was a big problem with my other hand.

Unfortunately, I could be facing more surgery. The problem with my left hand is called Dupuytren's Contracture. It sure came on quickly, the structure of my hand changed in 3 weeks. To make matters worse, once my cast came off, my right hand showed the same changes. I don't even want to think about it now.

I'll be thinking good thoughts for you Friday! Post when you can....
__________________
Ginger Tea

 
Old 08-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #84
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baldwinsville, NY, USA
Posts: 102
Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertea View Post
Welcome to the board Northwind! You will get a lot of support here.

Janet, you have been in my thoughts this week as you prepare for surgery I hope everything goes perfectly for you this time.

My Dad is improving in small steps. He's still in ICU and will be until they get the problem with his lungs and kidneys worked out. His heart is doing it's job, that surgery was a success.

I saw my surgeon yesterday. I got my cast off and was surprised to see that I was still very swollen and bruised. Everything went so smoothly this time around I guess I was thinking my hand would look normal! Thankfully, I have had none of the burning pain at the surgery incisions. That was a big problem with my other hand.

Unfortunately, I could be facing more surgery. The problem with my left hand is called Dupuytren's Contracture. It sure came on quickly, the structure of my hand changed in 3 weeks. To make matters worse, once my cast came off, my right hand showed the same changes. I don't even want to think about it now.

I'll be thinking good thoughts for you Friday! Post when you can....
Oh, Ginger I'm so sorry. I never heard of that!! What next right?? Hope your Dad continues to improve. Worrying about him with two hands that hurt is more than you need right now.
My Internist just called me and there's a discrepancy in my EKG so I have to go in at 8AM to have another one!! Ugh. There is a slight chance I can't have the surgery. My husband said I have to cause he cancelled his golf game!! haha
I was feeling my palm when I read what you said. Rope like and hard. I have one part that feels like that too. I hope not. Now I'm praying I can have this surgery as planned and get on with my life. I keep saying it's not life threatening but it is my quality of life.
I'll check in again when I can. Keep your head up and let us know how you make out.
Jant

 
Old 08-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #85
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Northwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada's Near North
Posts: 500
Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Hi Ginger, I had never heard of Dupuytren's Contracture until recently and now I've seen a couple people with it, and have also heard of others with it. I suspect that is because I am in the age range where it shows up. I hope you find a solution for it. I hope your surgeon is a hand surgeon, and not a general ortho. I saw one man whose hand was messed up further by a general ortho here. That is something that I would think needs the specialist. It seems like a relatively easy fix that can go wrong if not done properly.

Janet I hope your EKG is just a case of a mis-read. Good luck on that.
__________________
Life is too short to wear tight shoes. ~ May you have happy feet in 2013.

 
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Northwind For This Useful Post:
gingertea (08-01-2012), Janet20 (08-01-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #86
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel.
Posts: 380
Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
Hi Ginger, I had never heard of Dupuytren's Contracture until recently and now I've seen a couple people with it, and have also heard of others with it. I suspect that is because I am in the age range where it shows up. I hope you find a solution for it. I hope your surgeon is a hand surgeon, and not a general ortho. I saw one man whose hand was messed up further by a general ortho here. That is something that I would think needs the specialist. It seems like a relatively easy fix that can go wrong if not done properly.

Janet I hope your EKG is just a case of a mis-read. Good luck on that.
Hi ladies & Northwind, welcome to you.

I am sorry I am not very active here, my daughter gave birth to a beautiful healthy baby girl & I am extra busy helping her.

Sorry to hear your news Ginger & Janet. Hoping you will be able to have your surgery Janet & wishing you good luck.

Ginger, good luck & speedy recovery for your dear Dad.

Take care.
Haydena.

 
Old 08-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #87
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baldwinsville, NY, USA
Posts: 102
Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydena View Post
Hi ladies & Northwind, welcome to you.

I am sorry I am not very active here, my daughter gave birth to a beautiful healthy baby girl & I am extra busy helping her.

Sorry to hear your news Ginger & Janet. Hoping you will be able to have your surgery Janet & wishing you good luck.

Ginger, good luck & speedy recovery for your dear Dad.

Take care.
Haydena.
Congratulations Haydena!!! How wonderful- a girl. I went to help with all 4 of my grandchildren so I know how busy and tired you are. Enjoy every minute.
My EKG was just fine today. My Dr is furious with the nurse who did it last week. It was her fault and my Dr noticed it immediately on the one they sent from the surgeon's office.
The only bad thing is my surgery was pushed up to 11:30 AM instead of 10AM. Too long to go without my coffee. I'm as ready as I'll ever be and really have a good feeling on this surgery!!
Give that baby lots of kisses and hugs and hope your daughter is well too.
I'll check in when I can type. Wish me luck and pray pray!!
Janet

 
The following user gives a hug of support to Janet20:
Northwind (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #88
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel.
Posts: 380
Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet20 View Post
Congratulations Haydena!!! How wonderful- a girl. I went to help with all 4 of my grandchildren so I know how busy and tired you are. Enjoy every minute.
My EKG was just fine today. My Dr is furious with the nurse who did it last week. It was her fault and my Dr noticed it immediately on the one they sent from the surgeon's office.
The only bad thing is my surgery was pushed up to 11:30 AM instead of 10AM. Too long to go without my coffee. I'm as ready as I'll ever be and really have a good feeling on this surgery!!
Give that baby lots of kisses and hugs and hope your daughter is well too.
I'll check in when I can type. Wish me luck and pray pray!!
Janet
Thanks so much for your good wishes Janet. Yes my daughter is well. She had a regular birth after being in labour for 3 1/2 hours which is fantastic for the first time.

WOW, I wouldnt like to be that nurse!! what a whopper she made.
Wishing you the very best of good luck for your surgery & I pray that you will finally have the relief you so well deserve.

I will have that coffee for you !! & think of you & send you good energy whilst I am drinking it.

Please let us know how you are doing as soon as you can.

Big hugs to you Janet & lots of love.

xxx Haydena.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to Haydena For This Useful Post:
Janet20 (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #89
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Northwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada's Near North
Posts: 500
Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Hi Janet, I'm glad to hear your EKG issues were because of a screw-up, and not because you have heart issues. Good luck with your surgery. Seems to me it is tomorrow. Am I right? I'll send some positive healing vibes south.

Haydena, congratulations on the new granddaughter! I'm glad to hear all went well. :-)
__________________
Life is too short to wear tight shoes. ~ May you have happy feet in 2013.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to Northwind For This Useful Post:
Janet20 (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #90
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel.
Posts: 380
Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
Hi Janet, I'm glad to hear your EKG issues were because of a screw-up, and not because you have heart issues. Good luck with your surgery. Seems to me it is tomorrow. Am I right? I'll send some positive healing vibes south.

Haydena, congratulations on the new granddaughter! I'm glad to hear all went well. :-)
Thank you so much Northwind.
(I like your nickname !!)

Janet, I forgot to say, TG your heart is OK. phew.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story dajo Arthritis 238 05-11-2012 04:09 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Bextra
Celebrex
Enbrel
Humira Ibuprofen
  Methotrexate
Mobic
Prednisone
Tylenol
Vioxx




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



jennybyc (108), Haydena (88), Moldova (47), margarita889 (23), d j (21), Janet20 (16), ladybud (13), Greengal04 (10), dajo (10), gingertea (8)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1162), MSJayhawk (990), Apollo123 (890), Titchou (825), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (757), ladybud (737), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:24 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!