It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #91
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baldwinsville, NY, USA
Posts: 102
Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
Thumbs up re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

hi ladies,
had my surgery. i'm doing better than the first time. dr. undid the first surgery. took the tendon out and removed bone spurs. he also made more room between the tendon and sesamoid bones. that was causing me pain when i had to pinch etc, i have a hard cast with an ace bandage on. i had good meds in the iv and took 2 vicoden before we left. now i take hydrocodone every 4 hrs. hubby is wonderful as i have strict orders not to use hand. just wiggle fingers. sorry about typing.
that's it for now. off to bed. i don't sleep well but nap all day.
dr. called me today and is very hopeful!!

janet

 
Old 08-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #92
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel.
Posts: 384
Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet20 View Post
hi ladies,
had my surgery. i'm doing better than the first time. dr. undid the first surgery. took the tendon out and removed bone spurs. he also made more room between the tendon and sesamoid bones. that was causing me pain when i had to pinch etc, i have a hard cast with an ace bandage on. i had good meds in the iv and took 2 vicoden before we left. now i take hydrocodone every 4 hrs. hubby is wonderful as i have strict orders not to use hand. just wiggle fingers. sorry about typing.
that's it for now. off to bed. i don't sleep well but nap all day.
dr. called me today and is very hopeful!!

janet
Wonderful news from you Janet. I am so pleased for you that the surgery is over & it sounds like it went well.
Thanks so much for letting us know so soon afterwards.

Did you have the same surgeon as the first time ??

PLEASE please do not use your hand for anything. You have to allow it to heal
Just lay back & let others do the work for you!!

Wishing you speedy recovery & all good wishes.
Hugs, Haydena.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #93
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baldwinsville, NY, USA
Posts: 102
Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydena View Post
Wonderful news from you Janet. I am so pleased for you that the surgery is over & it sounds like it went well.
Thanks so much for letting us know so soon afterwards.

Did you have the same surgeon as the first time ??

PLEASE please do not use your hand for anything. You have to allow it to heal
Just lay back & let others do the work for you!!

Wishing you speedy recovery & all good wishes.
Hugs, Haydena.
i had a new surgeon! i'm doing nothing and can't use the hand. pain!! but i am much better. had a nice shower and hair washed. good feeling. hubby won't let me do a thing. my sister is cooking for us tonight. my oldest daughter can't come until next week. she has all girl scouts and moms coming to her vacation house for a few days this week. i have great friends and family. i have some meals in freezer. i slept until 10 this am but took a pain pill at 5 am. i have good vibes this time. thanks. hope all is well with your beautiful girl. what is her name?

j

 
The following user gives a hug of support to Janet20:
Haydena (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #94
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel.
Posts: 384
Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet20 View Post
i had a new surgeon! i'm doing nothing and can't use the hand. pain!! but i am much better. had a nice shower and hair washed. good feeling. hubby won't let me do a thing. my sister is cooking for us tonight. my oldest daughter can't come until next week. she has all girl scouts and moms coming to her vacation house for a few days this week. i have great friends and family. i have some meals in freezer. i slept until 10 this am but took a pain pill at 5 am. i have good vibes this time. thanks. hope all is well with your beautiful girl. what is her name?

j
TG for the new surgeon, I became really worried, thats why I asked you.

The more help you can get, the better.It's good to know that your family & friends are all helping you.
The more rest you get, the better. You body had a shock from the op so you must be kind to it.

Yes thanks all is very well with the new baby who is perfect. A little beautiful doll. Alas she does'nt have a name yet, so we are sticking with ''Peanut'' for now. Thats how I described her when she was a fetus!! My daughter is ''on her face'' -very tired, but she is managing & we are all helping her.

I also have good vibes for you Janet. You deserve to be fine after all that you went through.

Sending you loads of good vibes & good energy.

Haydena

 
The Following User Says Thank You to Haydena For This Useful Post:
Janet20 (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #95
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baldwinsville, NY, USA
Posts: 102
Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

can't believe no name!! my middle daughter didn't tell me a name for 2 days then named her after my mom and my husband's mom. angelina jane. i cried. my mom died when i was 29. we call her aj sometimes!! luv it.
hope your daughter is fine, my oldest had post partum w/both her kids. very hard!

 
Old 08-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #96
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel.
Posts: 384
Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet20 View Post
can't believe no name!! my middle daughter didn't tell me a name for 2 days then named her after my mom and my husband's mom. angelina jane. i cried. my mom died when i was 29. we call her aj sometimes!! luv it.
hope your daughter is fine, my oldest had post partum w/both her kids. very hard!
Angelina Jane is a beautiful name. I find it very touching that your daughter named her baby after your late mom.

It does'nt bother me that she has'nt come up with a name yet. I know she will soon & I don't mind waiting. "There is a time for everything'' Do you remember that song by Judy Collins?

So far my daughter is fine & shows no signs of depression. She is overjoyed at being a new mom.

As soon as baby is named, I shall tell you !! in the meantime take good care of yourself & happy healing.

Hugs,
Haydena

 
The Following User Says Thank You to Haydena For This Useful Post:
Janet20 (08-05-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #97
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 441
gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Janet 20....where are you? Are you doing okay? How about the rest of the posters on this board? Nobody has been around in ages!
__________________
Ginger Tea

 
Old 09-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #98
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baldwinsville, NY, USA
Posts: 102
Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
Talking re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Hi Gingertea and other ladies here!
I haven't seen many posts but I did touch base with Haydena. We lost our communication I think.
I'm at almost 8 wks post op and doing so much better. I have my splint off now and typing with no pain at all. I love the new Dr and this procedure. It's so much easier than the other one I had. this one is called suture suspension arthroplasty. Last time it was LRT with the tendon taken out of my forearm. I feel great but not 100% yet. I'm looking forward to that day believe me cause my left hand is very sore. I do PT twice a week and at home. Dr. told me last week he thinks 3 months post op I should be splint free and doing whatever I want. I hope so. I'm a little stiff in the scar area and can't move my thumb completely. still a a little numb. But sooooo much better. Thanks to you and the posts here it got me through. I thank all of you. How are you Ginger???? All healed?

Janet

 
Old 09-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #99
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel.
Posts: 384
Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertea View Post
Janet 20....where are you? Are you doing okay? How about the rest of the posters on this board? Nobody has been around in ages!
Hi Ginger,

Janet did post a reply to me after I inquired how she was doing. You can find it
www.healthboards.com/boards/arthritis/846800-basal-joint-arthoplasty-anyone-have-22.html

or go o the topic of "Basal Joint Arthoplasty..Anyone have??''

How are you doing Ginger? have you recovered completely?

I hope all is well with you & yours.

Haydena.

 
Old 09-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #100
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel.
Posts: 384
Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet20 View Post
Hi Gingertea and other ladies here!
I haven't seen many posts but I did touch base with Haydena. We lost our communication I think.
I'm at almost 8 wks post op and doing so much better. I have my splint off now and typing with no pain at all. I love the new Dr and this procedure. It's so much easier than the other one I had. this one is called suture suspension arthroplasty. Last time it was LRT with the tendon taken out of my forearm. I feel great but not 100% yet. I'm looking forward to that day believe me cause my left hand is very sore. I do PT twice a week and at home. Dr. told me last week he thinks 3 months post op I should be splint free and doing whatever I want. I hope so. I'm a little stiff in the scar area and can't move my thumb completely. still a a little numb. But sooooo much better. Thanks to you and the posts here it got me through. I thank all of you. How are you Ginger???? All healed?

Janet
Hi Janet,

So good to hear that you are progressing so well.
Dont forget to hydrate your scar with any good body lotion or hand cream at least 3 times a day. It helps the skin regain its moisture & gets rid of dryness.
You can also use Traumeel if you wish as it helps against stiffness aswell.

I think we lost communication because there is more than 1 thread on this board about arthoplasty operations.

Its always good to hear about eachother & I hope we do stay in touch here even if its from time to time.

Wishing you well.
Hugs to you,
Haydena.

 
Old 09-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #101
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baldwinsville, NY, USA
Posts: 102
Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydena View Post
Hi Janet,

So good to hear that you are progressing so well.
Dont forget to hydrate your scar with any good body lotion or hand cream at least 3 times a day. It helps the skin regain its moisture & gets rid of dryness.
You can also use Traumeel if you wish as it helps against stiffness aswell.

I think we lost communication because there is more than 1 thread on this board about arthoplasty operations.

Its always good to hear about eachother & I hope we do stay in touch here even if its from time to time.

Wishing you well.
Hugs to you,
Haydena.
Hi Haydena, My therapist always massages my scar and the area. I do it after heat and before my exercises 3 times a day or more. I love the traumeel cream. I used it the first time too because of you.
Thanks. How is the baby? What is her name?
I just got back from a weekend in Boston to see 3 of my grandkids. We saw a soccer game, two hockey games and a football game. So much fun!

Hugs,
Janet

 
Old 09-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #102
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel.
Posts: 384
Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet20 View Post
Hi Haydena, My therapist always massages my scar and the area. I do it after heat and before my exercises 3 times a day or more. I love the traumeel cream. I used it the first time too because of you.
Thanks. How is the baby? What is her name?
I just got back from a weekend in Boston to see 3 of my grandkids. We saw a soccer game, two hockey games and a football game. So much fun!

Hugs,
Janet
Hi Janet,

Each of your posts gets better every time because you sound so content & I cant tell you how pleased I am for you. You REALLY deserve this as you went through such a hard time after your first op. It's a relief to know that you like & trust your surgeon. That makes all the difference.

Baby is named EMI, she is doing very well indeed. 58 centimeters long, weighs 5.050 kilos. She has colic but we are managing it & we read that by 3 months the colic should be over. She is now 2 months old & has started to smile & makes cute sounds at us.The doctor changed her formula & she is now on one that produces less burps & wind. (hope you forgive my language!)We are lucky in that she is a good baby & is responding well to her surroundings.

Children are our future & are to be cherished.

Let us know please from time to time how you are healing Janet. Its always great to hear from you.
Take good care of yourself.
Hugs,
Haydena.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to Haydena For This Useful Post:
Janet20 (09-24-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #103
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 441
gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Good Morning Ladies!

Janet, I am so pleased to hear your hand is doing better! This surgery can be such a bumpy road it's nice to be able to 'coast' for awhile.

Haydena, isn't that new Grandbaby the best thing ever? Our little Colby Lowell was born August 14 to our son and daughter-in-law. He's a sweetie!
My daughter is expecting in March, we're so excited....that will be number 5 for us.

No, my hands are not healed, but they are being well taken care of. Thank goodness for PT.

My Dad took a turn for the worse and passed away August 6. Just a couple of weeks before his 82nd birthday. We had to fly to Florida to take care of some business and pack up the items we wanted to keep and ship them home. Not the best workout for my hands, but my husband and 2 sisters were there to help. My husband and 1 sister flew with me. I don't think I could have manuevered through all the airport security, luggage, and the general hassle it is to fly without them.

My left hand done in February, is still being worked on. Besides the Dupytrans contracture, I am also having some muscle wasting problems. The PT is happy with my progress.....especially considering he didn't think he would be able to get it back to a working hand. Thankfully, he didn't mention that until AFTER I regained the movement! I am doing strengthening exercises to build muscle. PT for my hand done in June is continuing and improving. Last week I got enough movement to manipulate a pair of scissors. I am working on PT at home and I still see the PT for 2 sessions a week. I still wear a brace at times....I've developed a clicking in my right wrist and the PT says in inner workings are very loose. It has nothing to do with the basal joint surgery, probably arthritis doing it's damage in that area. The Dupuytrans is thickening the tendons in that hand also. BUT, I am seeing progress in both hands, so I'm pushing toward my goal! I see my surgeon again in a couple of weeks. He is monitoring the progress I've made and the progression of the Dupuytrans. My PT says it's not at the point where I need surgery, and it may not progress to that point. That works for me!

Didn't mean for this to be so long...guess a lot has happened in 2 months!

Take care, it's always nice to hear from the girls on the board!
__________________
Ginger Tea

 
Old 10-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #104
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baldwinsville, NY, USA
Posts: 102
Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Hi Gingertea,
I am so so sorry for your Dad's passing! Wow you've been through a lot the last two months. I know how you feel traveling without good "hands". I'm so glad your husband and sister were able to help you out.
Congrats on your new grand baby!! They are the best. We're leaving next Thurs to see our Alaskan one. My daughter is running the San Francisco Marathon and we're going to watch her daughter, almost 4, and support her on her run. We have 4 grandkids so far. I'm always hoping for more.
You have been through so much with both of your hands but sounds like you are slowly progressing. I'm just starting to strengthen my hand that was redone on Aug 3rd. It was a new procedure. If I need my left hand done I will opt for the suture suspension arthroplasty over the LST. I think it was called that.
Take good care of yourself and I pray you continue on your road to recovery. I have hopes of both of us healing completely!! Yea!!

Janet

 
Old 10-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #105
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel.
Posts: 384
Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertea View Post
Good Morning Ladies!

Janet, I am so pleased to hear your hand is doing better! This surgery can be such a bumpy road it's nice to be able to 'coast' for awhile.

Haydena, isn't that new Grandbaby the best thing ever? Our little Colby Lowell was born August 14 to our son and daughter-in-law. He's a sweetie!
My daughter is expecting in March, we're so excited....that will be number 5 for us.

No, my hands are not healed, but they are being well taken care of. Thank goodness for PT.

My Dad took a turn for the worse and passed away August 6. Just a couple of weeks before his 82nd birthday. We had to fly to Florida to take care of some business and pack up the items we wanted to keep and ship them home. Not the best workout for my hands, but my husband and 2 sisters were there to help. My husband and 1 sister flew with me. I don't think I could have manuevered through all the airport security, luggage, and the general hassle it is to fly without them.

My left hand done in February, is still being worked on. Besides the Dupytrans contracture, I am also having some muscle wasting problems. The PT is happy with my progress.....especially considering he didn't think he would be able to get it back to a working hand. Thankfully, he didn't mention that until AFTER I regained the movement! I am doing strengthening exercises to build muscle. PT for my hand done in June is continuing and improving. Last week I got enough movement to manipulate a pair of scissors. I am working on PT at home and I still see the PT for 2 sessions a week. I still wear a brace at times....I've developed a clicking in my right wrist and the PT says in inner workings are very loose. It has nothing to do with the basal joint surgery, probably arthritis doing it's damage in that area. The Dupuytrans is thickening the tendons in that hand also. BUT, I am seeing progress in both hands, so I'm pushing toward my goal! I see my surgeon again in a couple of weeks. He is monitoring the progress I've made and the progression of the Dupuytrans. My PT says it's not at the point where I need surgery, and it may not progress to that point. That works for me!

Didn't mean for this to be so long...guess a lot has happened in 2 months!

Take care, it's always nice to hear from the girls on the board!
Hi Ginger,

My condolences & sympathies to you on the passing of your dear Dad.You were fortunate to have the help of your hubby & sister whilst travelling.
I managed to fly abroad 2 months after I had my surgery & wore a bright red wrist guard so that people would know not to ''mess'' with me! I actually didnt need to wear it as my hand had already healed.

Keep on with your exercises & I hope you will reach your goal soon. Its good to know that you have a good PT.

Congratulations on the birth of baby Colby Lowell. My granddaughter, Emi, is doing very well & we are all in love with her.

Take good care Ginger,
Haydena.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story dajo Arthritis 238 05-11-2012 04:09 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Bextra
Celebrex
Enbrel
Humira Ibuprofen
  Methotrexate
Mobic
Prednisone
Tylenol
Vioxx




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



jennybyc (108), Haydena (90), Moldova (47), margarita889 (23), d j (21), Janet20 (16), ladybud (13), Greengal04 (10), dajo (10), gingertea (8)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1164), MSJayhawk (997), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (745), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:57 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!