It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #121
(female)

Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy06 View Post
I am going to post this question on my thread also as to get as much feedback as possible.

Today, at my pre-op appointment, the anesthesiologist offered to give me a nerve blocker in my arm....from shoulder to fingertip. It blocks pain for about 24 hours to allow yourself to ease into healing mode. He says it is perfectly safe. The only drawback is that i will not have any feeling in my arm whatsoever. He says to be careful that i don't bump into anything...should i choose to have this nerve blocker on the day of my surgery. Any opinions?

-Cassie
I never was offered this option. I went home with pain killers both times. I think others on here did have that.
Good luck honey!!
Janet

The Following User Says Thank You to Janet20 For This Useful Post:
Cassidy06 (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #122
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

I had the nerve block with both of my surgeries. I wasn't given a choice. I was told to bring a pillow and I kept my arm cradled in that until I got home and settled. My surgeon does it as part of the surgery so I was out when the block was done. I think one of the benefits of the block is that it allows you to sleep the first night without having to wake up to take your pain pills. With the first surgery I didn't start the pain pills until I started to feel the pain in the afternoon the next day. I learned my lesson....once the pain starts it's hard to get control. Start your pills before you feel the pain. The second surgery I took them as soon as I woke up the next morning. The most important things to remember is to keep your arm elevated and iced. Good luck with your surgery, we'll all be thinking good thoughts for you!

The Following User Says Thank You to gingertea For This Useful Post:
Cassidy06 (12-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #123
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

I had a nerve block in my arm when I had a ganglion removed. It was excellent. I had no ill effects, and I felt nothing during the procedure.

I also had a nerve block when I had foot surgery. t helped prevent the pain from becoming too bad.

Good luck

Last edited by Northwind; 12-11-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #124
(female)

Cassidy06 HB User

had surgery yesterday. wish i would have had he nerve block. percocet is not completely working. will post more later. thanks to all for helping me prepare for this!!
-Cass

Old 12-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #125
(female)

Janet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB UserJanet20 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy06 View Post
had surgery yesterday. wish i would have had he nerve block. percocet is not completely working. will post more later. thanks to all for helping me prepare for this!!
-Cass
Good luck Cassie. Glad it's over. I had to take oxycodone. Percoset just didn't do it for me plus made me feel too weird. The oxycodone or vicodine did take away the pain. Make sure you take it on time. Don't wait.

Feel better soon!!
Janet

The Following User Says Thank You to Janet20 For This Useful Post:
Cassidy06 (01-02-2013)
Old 12-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #126
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

Hi Cassie and Janet!

Cassie, even with the nerve block I had to switch from Percoset to Oxycodone with my first surgery. I waited too long to start the pain medication and Percoset didn't work. Also, the ace bandage around my cast was way too tight. I wasn't getting good circulation. My husband called the surgery center and they told him to loosen the ace bandage. That helped quite a bit but I did have a whopper of a bruise from the pressure. Cassie, I hope you start feeling better real soon. That kind of pain wears you out real quick!

Janet, it sounds like the 2nd surgery on your hand was successful! Are you swinging a golf club yet? I just finished PT on my right hand. Both hands are feeling pretty good unless I overuse them. I am lucky in that my PT also has a fitness room in his practice. Right now I'm working on cardio only. I will start working on my hand and arm strength when the PT gives the okay. I still have a weight limit on what I pick up. Six months ago I didn't think I'd ever feel this good so I am happy with the progress. I still have bulging tendons and lumps in my palms from Dupuytrans, but for now I can still straighten my fingers. Maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones and it won't progress past this stage! My grandson born in September is growing quickly, and my new granddaughter will be here in March. She will bring the total to 5grandbabies with the oldest being 5 1/2. They will keep me young!

Take care, ladies! Cassie, I hope you get your pain under control real soon. We can all emphasize with you!

Old 12-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #127
(female)

Gingertea,
I'm overworking my hands right now with my two daughters coming for Christmas with 3 of my grandkids. My right hand is sore and not 100% but I'm using it. I do still have some stiffness and pain but it's manageable. I haven't golfed yet. My husband goes out in 40 deg. weather but not me. We go to Fla. for 2 months so hopefully I'll be out there too. It's been almost 2yr. However, my left hand has progressed quickly and is really bad right now. I'm just biting the bullet to get through the holidays. I'll have the surgery on that hand next Fall. I go to my last appt in January and asking for cortisone in that hand.
Sounds like your grandkids are growing. It's wonderful right? My Alaska granddaughter, 4 will be here in two hours. The others come on Sunday. Our newest one, will arrive after the holidays.
Enjoy the holiday and glad to hear you're working out. I need to join a gym. I've been bad about working out. I haven't tried to lift weights. Take care and keep in touch.

Cassie, we've all been there and we're here for you. Hang in there.

Janet

Old 01-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #128
(female)

Exodus7777777 HB User
Thumbs up Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story (Janet20)

I posted once briefly re: my fear of this surgery and whether I would be able to play piano ever again, etc. I think I also asked about dealing with this surgery since I live alone.

Thanks to all of you who responded to these issues, as I have been reading your replies, but have not been able to respond as logging in again was glitchy and I finally had to change my password. I am SO GRATEFUL for your input . . . sooo many tips were helpful and allowed me to plan ahead for things I wasn't expecting.

Speaking of nerve blocks . . . I had a contracture (trigger finger) repaired 5 yrs ago with no block, just a local as I had just moved and planned to drive myself home after---the worst part was the tourniquet---excruciating! The nerve block for the trapeziectomy was fine until afterward, for the 40+ hours before it wore off . . . YIKES If you're expecting to have a nerve block, be sure they discharge you with an ADULT-sized sling. My sling was child-sized and my arm kept jumping out (literally) my poly-neuropathy felt very violated/abused being surgerized

All seriousness aside - I think my already unoperated rotator-cuff was strained or sprained as the scapular pain sometimes screams louder than what's happening in my hand.

I think my splint needs to be re-molded soon, too, after the New Year break, as the part that wraps around my thumb feels like it digs into the base of it. It's the part that's swollen around where the trapezium used to be, although I think the arnica is reducing the swelling a tad, or maybe it's the next level of exercises that I began today

My surgery was on 12/5/12 - so I'm coming up on a month this weekend . . . must say, it's gone quickly . . . helped out a bit at first by an escaped suture on one end and incision not knitting together well at the other . . . the original dressing was very tight . . . unnecessary bruising, in my non-medical opinion . . . oh well . . . all in all, I've felt very encouraged and supported by CHT (Certified Hand Therapist) that I've seen and another professional formerly in that field that I've connected with online.

A Happy 2013 to all of you, and again, thanks for posting your journeys online for the rest of us to learn from and identify with

Old 01-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #129
(female)

Wink Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story (Janet20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus7777777 View Post
I posted once briefly re: my fear of this surgery and whether I would be able to play piano ever again, etc. I think I also asked about dealing with this surgery since I live alone.

Thanks to all of you who responded to these issues, as I have been reading your replies, but have not been able to respond as logging in again was glitchy and I finally had to change my password. I am SO GRATEFUL for your input . . . sooo many tips were helpful and allowed me to plan ahead for things I wasn't expecting.

Speaking of nerve blocks . . . I had a contracture (trigger finger) repaired 5 yrs ago with no block, just a local as I had just moved and planned to drive myself home after---the worst part was the tourniquet---excruciating! The nerve block for the trapeziectomy was fine until afterward, for the 40+ hours before it wore off . . . YIKES If you're expecting to have a nerve block, be sure they discharge you with an ADULT-sized sling. My sling was child-sized and my arm kept jumping out (literally) my poly-neuropathy felt very violated/abused being surgerized

All seriousness aside - I think my already unoperated rotator-cuff was strained or sprained as the scapular pain sometimes screams louder than what's happening in my hand.

I think my splint needs to be re-molded soon, too, after the New Year break, as the part that wraps around my thumb feels like it digs into the base of it. It's the part that's swollen around where the trapezium used to be, although I think the arnica is reducing the swelling a tad, or maybe it's the next level of exercises that I began today

My surgery was on 12/5/12 - so I'm coming up on a month this weekend . . . must say, it's gone quickly . . . helped out a bit at first by an escaped suture on one end and incision not knitting together well at the other . . . the original dressing was very tight . . . unnecessary bruising, in my non-medical opinion . . . oh well . . . all in all, I've felt very encouraged and supported by CHT (Certified Hand Therapist) that I've seen and another professional formerly in that field that I've connected with online.

A Happy 2013 to all of you, and again, thanks for posting your journeys online for the rest of us to learn from and identify with

Hi Exodus,
Glad your surgery is over and so happy this site helped. It really helped me too but I wish I had logged on sooner. Take care and hope you continue to improve and are able to play the piano.
Janet

Old 01-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #130
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Hi Ladies,

I have been away but missed all posts from # 188 as I was not notified & did not receive them until now.Very weird!

Cassie, I hope your healing is progressing well & I am pleased your surgery is over. How are you managing with you little boy?

I am due to see my surgeon on Sunday & I guess he will tell me when I will be having my right hand ''fixed'' I dont want to stay in hospital overnight & will ask for a nerve block. In May 2011 when I had my left hand operated he wanted me to stay overnight in hospital so he could give me morphine for the pain. It sure did help. When I returned home the next day I started using a very strong pain killer every 4 hours in the form of drops, which helped. I dont know if you can buy this in the US. Ice packs were the main help for me & of course raising my arm to above my heart all the time, even whilst asleep.

Now that the celebrations are over, Janet try hard to rest your hands.
I wish you all a very happy, healthy & peaceful new year.

Hugs to you all,
Haydena.

Last edited by Haydena; 01-01-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #131
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story (Janet20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus7777777 View Post

Hi Exodus,

When you get your splint remoulded ask for gauze to be put under the splint as it protects your skin & stops anything digging into your flesh. I had a micro-plastic splint that was cut & moulded to the shape of my left hand. There were sharp pieces that dug into my fore finger & wrist. I removed the splint myself with the help of my son & he helped me place a large folded piece of gauze under the splint. He replaced the splint exactly the way it was before. I thought my PT(who worked with my surgeon) would give me hell for doing this, but not a word was said.

I also had the help of a CHT who came to my home 3 times a week. She was much more experienced than the surgeon's PT whom I stopped going to for PT.

You are over the worst & now all you need is time & patience to heal.
Keep in touch with us here & I wish you all the best.

Haydena.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #132
(female)

Cassidy06 HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story (Janet20)

Hi ladies!
Sorry I haven't posted much since my surgery. The cast had my arm in a weird position and could only type with one hand.
My cast came off and stitches out last Thurs (27 Dec). Now I just have a spica splint that I can remove only to shower. The pain I have now is tolerable but the incision and thumb are feel irritated and have a burning sensation. I haven't seen my surgeon since before the surgery. He has been on holiday leave. I would love to talk to him and find out why my surgery took twice as long as expected! The surgeon I saw for my follow up last thurs wasn't even my dr. He couldn't tell me anything except my incision looked good and free of infection. he didn't even touch my hand. I have no idea if everything is healing well. Im hoping to see MY dr on 28 Jan. Hopefully, he will order xrays to track progress.

I am rambling...but it feels good to vent to people who know what Im talking about. Thank you so much for all the help and info you have provided here. I appreciate the concern and compassion you all have given!

The surgery started very late. Showtime was 8, surgery was supposed to be at 930 but didn't begin until after 11. The techs and nurses had a hard time inserting my IV. They collapsed 3 veins. The anesthesiologist had to do it himself. I absolutely hated that part!! We didn't leave the hospital until almost 5 pm. My husband immediately took me to Dunkin Donuts

I waited too long to take the percocet. I only took one at a time (at first). What really helped me was when I would take 1 or 2 percocet and then ibuprophen (advil) 2 hours later. I couldn't believe the difference that made. I just had to make sure I had a full stomach when I took the ibuprophen...otherwise it would give me a belly ache.

My son is doing ok with this. A couple of times he hurt me, but of course, not on purpose. A couple of days ago, while trying to change his diaper, he locked his legs around my wrist and hand. It hurt so bad that I saw stars and was dizzy. Poor lil guy didn't know any better. Mostly, he kisses my brace and says "feel better mommy?"

Since the surgery, I have been sleeping on the couch to ensure my hand stays elevated. My husband made me a special pillow I haven't had any issues with extreme swelling. After about a week, the swelling started to subside. My swollen hand looked so weird! I sent my husband out looking for arnica, but didn't find it. I was okay with that, though.

The shower sleeve he bought me was a huge mistake! It was so painful to put on and take off. it would squeeze my cast. So glad that thing is gone.

So how is everyone doing? Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays and wishing you a wonderful 2013!!! Heal fast, ladies!!

-Cassie

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Cassidy06
Haydena (01-03-2013), Janet20 (01-03-2013)
Closed Thread