It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
(female)

Sports555 HB User
Left ankle and foot feels stiff and weird

Hi,

I don't know what is wrong with me. All I know is about a week and a half ago, I felt a tight band, a stiffness around my left ankle, the front part. THEN suddenly I feel like my foot is not flexing properly, like it's stiff. I have zero pain. Just this weird stiffness and feeling like my foot and ankle are in a rubber band almost. If I look at my ankle, the top part where the ankle and foot meet, the inner side of my ankle and foot, there is an area right near the joint that feels bumpy, slightly swollen, if you press on it. It's right where the ankle and foot meet, on the joint, on the front part and my right side so the inner ankle side but top part where the ankle and foot meet, and where the shin would be further up.

I do not know what this swelling/lumpy thing is, I don't know why I don't have pain and I am perplexed over why my walking feels weird. I actually had a neurologist appointment for neck and back issues and he said my gait was fine. He said he watched me walk in. He kind of annoyed me since he was more interested in getting me to a pain clinic for my neck and back over really listening to me. Nevertheless, he seemed to think there was nothing neurological at all going on.

Does anyone have a guess at what could be wrong? Do you have to have pain to have arthritis? Is this a tendon or ligament on the front part, where the swollen area is? Thanks.

Last edited by Sports555; 06-16-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #2
(female)

Sports555 HB User
Re: Left ankle and foot feels stiff and weird

Anyone have any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

The tendons that work your toes/foot/ankle all go down the front of your shins and through the "tarsal tunnel" to your foot. It could be tendonitis. If they get inflamed, they do kind of stop movement but they also tend to hurt.

You can get these ankle supports at any drug store or super store that kind of hold the ankle in place and it might help. They also remind you not to move the ankle....a bigger help. Might try one for a week and see if the stiffness goes down.

Try sitting with your foot relaxed and then make your toes come upward and your entire foot come upwards...that is the movement those tendons do...if that hurts or feels stiff, then it might very well be the tendons.

If resting it for a week doesn't help, then ask your doc.

Jenny

PS I've had those tendons injected with cortisone for tendonitis so it can be treated by a doc if it continues.....and it is tendonitis.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
(female)

Sports555 HB User

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, this is what I'm confused over... why I do not have any pain. All I have is this weird stiffness and like a lump/swelling near the ankle joint. Not a lump as in it looks like a cyst or something very superficial. This is within the tissue.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:47 AM   #5
(female)

downunder07 HB User
Unhappy Re: Left ankle and foot feels stiff and weird

This is almost exactly what I have - no pain but no swelling or lump either. Did you ever find out what the problem is and did you get relief? Mine is left foot too!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
(female)

downunder07 HB User

Also in my left foot at top of ankle - had it for 5 years and getting slowly worse. No Pain, no lumps. Just tightness and stiffness - especially by end of day. Seeing new Podiatrist today!

Old 01-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
(female)

BayouGirlJill HB User

I too have one of those but it is on my right foot and it has been there for years. I sometimes get painbut just an aching. I had an x-ray taken and I have so much damage you can see in the xray a lot of calcification. I have never been told what it was. Do you know yet what it is??

Jill

Old 01-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
(female)

downunder07 HB User

Sorry I have been referred on for more tests so don't know anymore yet.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
(female)

Legs11 HB User

Does the stiffness seem to occur after you've been sitting for a short period? Almost like the rest of the body is willing to go but the ankles are stiff. I had the same. No pain but first thing in the morning going downstairs. Once on the move they were better.

Reply Reply