It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
(female)

KristaJoy HB User
Juvenile Arthritis--What becomes of it?

Hi all, I am 16 years old and was diagnosed with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis last year when I was 15. I know that it is common for people to develop joint problems and arthritis later in life, but what about us kids who get this before we even reach 20? It seems as though our joints will become even worse than adults who end up developing arthritis later in life. What are your thoughts?

Old 06-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Juvenile Arthritis--What becomes of it?

Hello and welcome on board!

This condition usually affects kids under 16 years old. It's auto-immune disease and this type condition may affect person at any age. I was diagnosed with JRA at age 12 and suffer since.
I am not sure what can happen to someone with your condition in a wrong run. Did you start any treatment by now?

Best of luck to you dear
Moldova

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
(female)

KristaJoy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
Hello and welcome on board!

This condition usually affects kids under 16 years old. It's auto-immune disease and this type condition may affect person at any age. I was diagnosed with JRA at age 12 and suffer since.
I am not sure what can happen to someone with your condition in a wrong run. Did you start any treatment by now?

Best of luck to you dear
Moldova
Yeah, I've been on treatment since last year (taking weekly Enbrel injections). Has your disease changed at all or improved since your diagnosis at age 12? I'm just worried about how this disease is going to turn out in the long run. Sometimes I hear about cases of remission, but I don't know.

Random question on the side--is it normal to develop dactylitis while having this disease?

Old 06-28-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Sometimes children overgrow certain conditions (like my son had childhood asthma, and after age 11 never had an episode) even JRA. I didn't even know I had JRA at that time; I was sick with TB, while testing, they discovered auto-immune condition "by accident".
I got really sick close to 28. When I went to my first RA Dr, despite swollen, red joints and symmetrical pain, fevers, history, etc. he told me I dont have any RA even though I had it as a child, I over grew it. I trusted him and for another 5 years never went to see another RA (big mistake).
My symptoms progressed; I had one ortho surgery after another on my joints, ligaments and tendons. My Ortho doctors were confused where did all the damages come from but nobody bothered to put 2+2 together. I could avoid so many surgeries, making my system even weaker.

Only in 2006 my PM Dr sent me to see RA DR at Hospital for Special surgery and my life changed since. I was diagnosed with RA, Lupus. She suspected I may have symptoms of MS and sent me to Neurologist where after a lot of testing I was diagnosed with MS. They both asked me how come I didn't come earlier since my conditions far gone. I explained that I did see many RA, GP's, Ortho's and nobody gave me right diagnoses.
Yes, you can develop Dactyliitis since it inflammatory disease. You IA causing inflammation to your body and many other conditions may occur. I developed retina problems due to inflammation, skin conditions as well... When your immune system is not working properly, inflammation related symptoms/conditions may occur.
You are only 16, your body may change during your growing period. I dont want to tell you how to feel, but dont worry about what may happen many years from now. You may be very healthy and live a long life, just be happy and enjoy your youth!!! We have the best medicine in a world here, excellent Dr and if ever need help, they will be able to help you, just stay positive, don't worry too much sweetie. This is a job for your mother (lol), you are still have so many ears ahead of you to recover.
Enbrel is a good drug and helps many people; hope it will help you as well.
Best wishes on your recovery
Moldova
I understand

Reply Reply