It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
(male)

Mozza1951 HB User
Total Hip Replacement

I have suffered for many years with arthritis in BOTH hips, and have, from time to time, had difficulty in walking. They pain was in the joint itself, but about 12 months ago, things took a turn for the worse. Now, my consultant has confirmed (by xray) that the left hip has no lining at all, and is, quite literally, 'bone on bone'
The pain is now constant when I walk, and has been for the last 12 months. I can only walk short distances at a time, and only then with a walking stick. It is likely to be about 4/5 months before I have a full hip replacement on the left side. In the meantime, I am taking anti-inflammatory drugs twice a day, Tramadol 50mg - two morning and night (4 in total), and two paracetamol with my lunch. Unfortunately, none of this medication would appear to be helping reduce the pain. Furthermore, the 'pain' is now all down the left leg - top to bottom - and is almost entirely muscular pain. My left leg feels that it's about to collapse under me, and the only respite I get is when I am seated.
The back of my knee, my shin, and the muscle in the groin area all suffer equally, and, to be quite honest, I can't imagine how I will cope for much longer without pain relief that actually works, and 'does what it says on the tin!!'
Can anyone identify with the type of pain that I am suffering. Perhaps more importantly, has anyone found any type of pain relief that works!! PLEASE HELP. Thanks for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Total Hip Replacement

Dear Mozza,

I am so sorry to hear you in so much pain... And the worst part: pain meds not working for you.
I had spinal fusions and suffer from complications; also due to RA I developed hip/knees problems and had many surgeries.
I know what you talking about when you describe this terrible hip/leg/knee/foot and muscles pain. I hear you, believe me here!

I am wondering if you are able to go and see your PM DR, are you? If yes, can they put you not only on pain meds to take from pain, but to keep you on Long Acting drugs as well? For example, I take my Long Acting Oxy every 6 hours around o'clock. And on top I take BT (break through opiate) every 4 hours. You will not get much pain relieve with your schedule.
But being on Pain meds 24/7, helps to keep your blood plasma on same level, you don't get ups and downs as much. This is very important.
It's OK to take meds the way you do if pain is not chronic, and you can get better tomorrow. For CP you must discuss treatment with your Dr to get better results.
Nobody should suffer, this is not fair.

I am not saying that I live pain free life, I wish I would. I also get days and weeks when i cant get up from bed, but I have options.
If i call my PM, he immediately either changes my doses or medication all together.

Unfortunately I cant give you another advice but see your DR to adjust your medication. i wish I would have the answer, but I don't...

Wishing you all the best
Hugs, Moldova

Old 07-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
(male)

Mozza1951 HB User

Thanks, Moldova. A very comprehensive reply indeed. And an extremely considerate one. I will give some thought to the advice that you offer, although I'm not sure that I wish to take such a massive step as to request that the drugs that you mentioned be considered.

However, I'm very appreciative of the time and effort that you have obviously expended on my behalf. I sincerely hope that your health improves, and that you manage to maintain your positive outlook. Thank you once again.

Mozza.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It might indeed be time to ask the doctor for stronger medicines. Or, you could ask for a cortizone shot. It'll buy time, at least.

For the muscle pain, look into something called a "foam roller." I've had a number of leg injuries, all of which caused nasty painful muscle spasms. I know it must be difficult for you to get down on the ground, but for me, rolling out my thigh muscles has made a big difference.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
(male)

Mozza1951 HB User

Thank you, 'JaneWhite1' I will look on Google right now and investigate further.

It's very kind of you to respond. Take care.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
(female)

pinkotter HB User

I have osteoarthritis in my hip, its been a very painful 3 years. After going through 3 doctors, (they all told me i needed a hip replacement) I found one who would think outside the box. This doctor did a PRP injection (Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy). . its your own blood injection. Hard to explain but do an online search PRP. Its been a live saver for me. I have done yoga too. Both together has given me my life back!!!

Reply Reply