It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
(female)

Mikki34639 HB User
Waking up with joint pain

Good Morning, this is my first post here. I found this forum while doing a search for my symptoms this morning.

I woke up this morning and yesterday out of the blue with horrible pain. Both of my hands hurt and are slightly swollen. The knuckle joints are sore and the tops of my hands hurt (more on my dominant left side). My elbows, and knees hurt and the tops of my feet hurt to the ancles.

What gives? I am a mother of two, student, and I work. I am 33. I have never woke up like this before and I hope it is not the beginning og RA, which my mother was diagnosed with. Any help is very appreciated! Thanks, Michelle

Old 07-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Waking up with joint pain

Hi and welcome!

I have RA and I read a lot of information on it but honestly never read about RA manifested over night. But I met people who would get your symptoms due Lyme, Mono and some other infections.
Would be a good idea for you to go and see you GP and go from there.
Without blood work very hard to say what exactly your symptoms are about, sorry...

Best wishes,
Moldova

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
(female)

Mikki34639 HB User

Thanks for the responce! I was talking to my sister and figured out what it was! So thankful. My 5 yr old son had Fifths Disease last week while at his fathers on break. I came to his school to see him, and see how he was doing. He had the classic "slapped cheak" look and rash (which they say means he is past the point of contamination) RIGHT. That same night I had a low grade fever, followed by two days of headaches.

Fast forward 4 more days of no symptoms and two days ago I started with the joint aches, which is the classic presentation in adults. My sister had it last year and was almost in bed a week and so was her poor husband.

Everyone deals with it differently but I can anticipate some more pain from anywhere to another day to several months! Parvovirus 19 I believe is another name for it. Either way this make much more sense that it presented so quickly and attacked my joints as it did. Good to just know what it is. thanks again for the help!

Old 07-15-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
(female)

Afri HB User

I woke up with similar pains like you, manifesting overnight. I thought it was hormonal, but it's not going away. I guess I'll look into 5th disease...ugh!!!

Thanks for your post!

Old 07-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
(female)

Mikki34639 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afri View Post
I woke up with similar pains like you, manifesting overnight. I thought it was hormonal, but it's not going away. I guess I'll look into 5th disease...ugh!!!

Thanks for your post!
Yeah, I guess anyone can have it, but it seems more likely if you work around young children. It is also called "slapped cheak disease or the parvovirus"

Old 07-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

Interesting. I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow about joint and muscle pain. I woke up a week ago Friday feeling like I'd been run over by a truck during the night. I was shuffling around like I was about 90 for three or four days. It's gradually eased off during the week, but my muscles still feel very tight and burny (like a sunburn on the inside) and my joints ache. It's hard to get up the stairs. There's no visible redness or swelling anywhere, and my balance is a bit 'off', so I'd think it was more likely fibromyalgia than arthritis, but I'm no expert. You don't usually get arthritis 'overnight'.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
(female)

Mikki34639 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaji View Post
Interesting. I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow about joint and muscle pain. I woke up a week ago Friday feeling like I'd been run over by a truck during the night. I was shuffling around like I was about 90 for three or four days. It's gradually eased off during the week, but my muscles still feel very tight and burny (like a sunburn on the inside) and my joints ache. It's hard to get up the stairs. There's no visible redness or swelling anywhere, and my balance is a bit 'off', so I'd think it was more likely fibromyalgia than arthritis, but I'm no expert. You don't usually get arthritis 'overnight'.

That is weird, what kind of muscle pain is it? Did you notice if it was recriprical on both sides? Like both wrists, and both knees? One hurting more than another can be an injury, but if the joints both hurt then that would point to something that is causing a flair. Lets hope it is not Fibromyalgia.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

It's both sides hurting the same, with the occasional spike to a separate location (like one of my hips.) And it's not related to any previous injuries. I've had problems with my lower back and one knee for years - when my knee hurts, it's JUST my knee and I can easily tell that the tendon is hard and swollen - it's not bothering me now, probably because I'm so inactive from all the pain and tiredness that I'm not putting a strain on it. I'm in a lot less pain than I was a week ago but it's still pretty significant. I couldn't get a doc's appointment till tomorrow and I'd very much hoped that I'd be pain-free by then so I wouldn't need it, but it's not so.

I've been under a lot of stress this year... and I've always had a tendency for my legs to ache when I'm tired and stressed, but nothing like this.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

So off to the doc's I trotted... Apparantly you CAN develop arthritis overnight when you've had other illnesses, and this year I've had plenty... so it's a possiblility. I hope not, because arthritis doesn't get better and I'm only 41! I really don't want to feel like this forever... He felt my arms and legs, tested the strength in my hands, watched me walk, and took blood to test for arthritis and lupus. And he mentioned fibromyalgia, but that's more 'when we've ruled everything else out and you still hurt...' I'm getting better slowly, and if nothing shows up, we have to wait for me to have another flare (and may that be a LONG time coming!)

Reply Reply