It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
(male)

jjochems78 HB User
Pain along the middle finger near the knuckle

I have an ongoing pain that runs along one side of my right hands middle finger between the base of the finger and the lower joint (proximal phlange). I suspect this pain may have originated from the use of a computer mouse. I tend to be a bit high strung. I have since switched the use of the mouse and have tried to use my right as little as possible. However it has been a week and the pain is relatively the same.

It got a little worse yesterday when I used my right hand to open a jar. It seems to hurt the worst when I open jars, or extend the finger upwards, or when I stretch via pushing the finger towards the palm and to the left towards the pinky.

I'm concerned about it because I'm starting a new career in Sign Language Interpreting and this could ruin my livelihood if it gets worse. I suspect it is a tendon problem but I'm not really sure. How can I take care of it? Stretching doesn't seem to help, but maybe I'm doing it incorrectly. What would be the best ways to take care of it?

Old 07-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Pain along the middle finger near the knuckle

This is going to sound weird, but just try it for me. Stretch your NECK, not your hands. Specifically, tilt your head sideways, bringing your ear down toward your shoulder. Be gentle.

If that doesn't work, try massaging your forearm with the opposite hand. If that doesn't work, see a doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply