It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
(female)

positiveP HB User
basal joint arthritis

I have basal joint arthritis in both my hands. Would like to hear from anyone with the same condition.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: basal joint arthritis

Hi Positive,

I am sorry you are having Arthritis; not an easy life with this condition, I know it myself.

I dont have it the way you do, but I am sure someone on this board will be able to share with you what they are going through.

Wishing you best
Moldova

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

I have had pain in this joint since about Feb 2012. I have had physio treatments, anti-inflammatories, I've iced it and now have gotten a splint to see if that helps. I got a steroid injection today. I'm hoping that helps.

I had a volar ganglion removed from this wrist five years ago. I'd been having some mild pain prior to that and figured it was the ganglion. The x-ray showed some mild arthritic changes at the time. My wrist felt better after the surgery. In the time since then, it has grumbled at times, and last year I thought the ganglion had returned because of swelling. This current flare has been worse than before, and the x-ray showed the worst arthritic changes in that hand are in that joint. I'm very thankful that this is my non-dominant hand.

I realize as I type this, that I had some key warning signs of this over the past few years. I remember trying to pick up something using a pinching motion. Ouch.

Today my doctor did a steroid injection. I asked what would happen if this didn't work. She said she'd refer me to the orthopaedic surgeon so he could do an injection. If that happens, I will be able to ask more questions. I'd like to be able to get this settled down, and to learn to manage it so it does not get worse. If that is possible.

I had bloodwork a month or so ago, and learned I had Rheumatoid Factor in my blood. I don't have any other inflammatory markers. I was able to get a referral to a rheumatolgist based on this test, so we'll see what that doctor has to say.

It seems that I have to adapt my actions to make life easier. I cut open things like cereal bags that usually get pulled apart. I am mindful of how I carry things. This aging thing seems to be a challenge some days! I'm 55.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
(female)

dgarafa1 HB Userdgarafa1 HB Userdgarafa1 HB User

I have severe basal joint disease and I need surgery. I am afraid I won't be able to play piano. I am only 56 and piano is my career and my passion. I need to know how it will affect my playing and will I be able to play as well as I do now with injured thumbs. I also need complete removal of the trapezium bone with ligament replacement

Old 11-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
(female)

dgarafa1 HB Userdgarafa1 HB Userdgarafa1 HB User

I have it in both hands. I am a pianist as a career and I am debating surgery and petrified of the thought. Have you had your surgery? or are you having it?

Reply Reply