It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Smile "Arthritis and "Manuka Honey"...

Anyone tried this for their Arthritis?...
Unable to take Anti-inflammatories for bad Arthritis in my shoulder and arms, I decided to give this a try.
After three days of taking this twice a day the awful locking/spasm sensations in my arms has gone, pain still remains however.
I'm under no illusions that it's down to the Manuka-Honey and it's early days but I am Not taking any medication and read that it can help this condition.
I will continue with it for a month and decide if it is worth continuing,

Solofelix.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: "Arthritis and "Manuka Honey"...

I have RA along with other conditions for many years.
I am from Europe and know how healthy RAW honey is.
Manuka Honey is one of the best although some believe that the healthiest honey is local one. Whatever you like, make sure it's a RAW honey, its very important since enzymes get destroyed during pasteurization and you end up with nothing more than just sugar.

I eat honey every single day of my life since my childhood. Honey is natural antiseptic and this is why never gets spoiled sitting on your shelves without refrigeration. Great for cuts, wounds, for any infection. In European hospitals they use honey on the burns and even on deep skin/vaginal/mouth infections. Great for yeast infections, for stomach ulcers, for Chron's disease.

I have RA since 12 and as you can see, I am still suffering and have to be on biologics and chemo drugs. I don't discourage you by any means, just don't want you to think that RA can be treated by honey. Although it can bring great health benefit to your system.

Enjoy your Manuka !
Moldova

The Following User Says Thank You to Moldova For This Useful Post:
solofelix (07-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
(female)

nola HB Usernola HB Usernola HB User

I am not from Europe like the previous poster, but I think it is pretty well known here in America too by health conscious people that raw honey is wonderful for you, especially local varieties. I go to a local farm to get mine. I consume local raw honey but for allergy reasons. I have arthritis in my neck and I've never noticed honey to help alleviate the pain. I do yoga for pain but it does not take it away completely. I don't take meds either because they don't help. The only relief I get is from staying active and eating wheat and gluten free (to help reduce inflammation). I've heard that manuka honey has anti-inflammatory properties so I don't think it would hurt to try it. If you do, let me know how it goes!

Old 07-17-2012, 02:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Thanks for the reply,
I dont know anything about Raw Honey. The one I bought was from a supermarket where I live, it did say (Certified) on the label "Whatever that may mean"... and I know you should not take one lower than "10+" as it will be like ordinary table honey.
I'm not expecting a cure but I must say (It taste's good). I live in a damp climate and I'm positive that it doesn't help Arthritis, I would like to hear if anyone has found something natural that helps this complaint,

Solofelix.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Solofelix,

OK, Certified Organic - it's great, we all have to use a lot of product in Organic only, honey one of them since we know what pestisides do to our systems. But if you look on the label, look for the word 100% RAW before you read Manuka Honey or any other honey.
I know for sure that some bee keepers may use 50-50, some sell pasteurized honey (some people feel safe with it not knowing this honey is not potent and doesn't serve the purpose, although it still delicious as well).

Manuka is expensive since it produced in New Zealand and Australia from the nectar of Manuka tree, it has in vitro antibacterial properties and considered the best in a world. I don't buy it all the time, and know that all 100% Organic raw honey is an excellent product for people and not only internally, but externally as well for beauty and health purposes.
Make sure you take your honey on empty stomach. In the morning, 30 min before you meal - this is ideal for health purpose. Otherwise, like every sugary food (fruits included) may cause gas; also what makes honey healthy - it's enzymes, get "lost" if taking NOT on empty stomach, causing bloating and other unpleasant feel.

Enjoy your honey and get healthy!
Moldova

Old 07-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Moldova,
Thank you for taking the time to explain about Manuka Honey, it's much appreciated and I will look in my Health-Shop for what you have described.
I'm not expecting a miracle cure, just something to give or help to give me a feeling of wellbeing.

Solofelix.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #7
(female)

parrot24 HB User

I think the best thing for arthritis is a combination of tactics. Disarm the immune response with CALMING herbs. Neutralize the blood with fresh ground veggie drinks daily heavy on the carrots and greens and strolls in sunshine to activate the "well being area of the brain" Paul Simon was getting crippling arthritis in his hands in his 50s. He went on a macrobiotic diet and you can see it worked out great for him. Manuka honey has a lot of disarming potential for an over excited immune response. When a strong immune has nothing to do it looks around for a "culprit ' Joint tissue is alive but not on the constant feed line so it is a common target for bored defenders. Really funny movies and jokes where you laugh heartily release chemicals into the blood that disarm inappropriate immune response. Probably raw honey has similar enzymes as some of the bee venom. Giving the immune system something to do by repsponding to an occasional bee sting is why bee keepers seldom get arthritis. Maybe we can gleen that without the pain by eating the honey! Can't hurt.

The Following User Says Thank You to parrot24 For This Useful Post:
solofelix (01-11-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

LadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB User

Hi Everyone,
I have read your posts with interest about Manuka honey, I have heard of this type and that it is good for inflammation. How much do you take (in the morning, on an empty stomach as Moldova indicated) to get the health benefits? Do you just eat it off a spoon by itself?
Thanks in advance for your reply,
~~~LadyBassPlayer~~~

Old 01-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Yes, you take any healthy honey on empty stomach and never drink or eat after it for at least 10-20 minutes to reach the best affect of it. You don't want to dilute this wonderful product and push it away before it slowly goes on its own.
Why RAW honey? Because other honey gets pasteurized. This is not a honey anymore but sugar without any healthy enzymes what makes honey - honey.
Local honey is good for those who suffer with allergies; I but raw local honey for my son who really benefits from it because of his allergies.
But for health reasons in general any good RAW honey is good.
Manuka honey is from New Zeland where bees pollinate native Manuka bush which makes this particular honey very healthy with strong antibacterial properties.
To achieve best results, buy UMF Manuka honey or Active Manuka honey. (MG) is antibacterial properties in honey: higher levels of MG -stronger antibacterial power. MG is a compound found in most types of honey, but usually only in small quantities. In manuka honey, MG comes from the conversion of another compound -- dihydroxyacetone -- that is found in high concentration in the nectar of manuka flowers. It a powerful bush, is in it?
Honey producers have developed a scale for rating the potency of manuka honey. The rating is called UMF, which stands for Unique Manuka Factor.

The UMF rating corresponds with the concentration of MG. Not all honey labeled as manuka honey contains significant levels of MG. To be considered potent enough to be therapeutic, manuka honey needs a minimum rating of 10 UMF. Honey at or above that level is marketed as "UMF Manuka Honey" or "Active Manuka Honey." I am pretty sure you can find it at good local stores, like Whole Foods, Wegmans, local health stores. Just look for these too to spend your money well. Its not cheap, but you don't eat it all day long. I take one Tbs. every morning on empty stomach. Yes, you can take another spoon before sleep, will not hurt you but considering honey is high calories product, I take once a day.
When I get sore throat, I take a Tsp of honey every hour, but trying not to swallow right the way, rather sip it slowly. I bet your sore throat goes away in no time. I get them a lot since I am on RA/Lupus treatments and my immune system down.
Personally I would rather spend my money on good honey than vitamins. No vitamins will benefit you as much as a spoon of good honey. Besides, good honey has a lot of vitamins and minerals in it.
NEVER KEEP IT IN A FRIDGE. KEEP IT IN COOL DARK PLACE WITH LEAD TIGHT CLOSED. NEVER GO IN A JAR WITH SPOON WHICH BEEN IN YOUR MOUTH.

Enjoy your honey and get well!!! :-)
Moldova

Old 01-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

LadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB User

Moldova,
Thank you very much for all the interesting facts about honey and specifically Manuka honey...I will look for it at my local natural food store and start using it as you describe.
God bless and best wishes!
~~~LadyBassPlayer~~~

Reply Reply