It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Gout

Hey, Diesel2, this is not as terrible as you are thinking. First, wait to start the allopurinol until after this attack subsides, and then keep taking the anti-inflammatory for the first several days along with it. You don't have to give up all the foods you like! If your dose of allopurinol is adequate (most people are on 300mg a day), your uric acid will stay in the safe zone, and you can eat what you like in moderation, but avoid those really high purine foods like sardines, herring, organ meats, and excess alcohol. Let the med control the uric acid, and just use some common sense with limitations. You don't have to deprive yourself of everything, just don't pig out on the bad stuff. You will soon learn when you've overindulged. Switch the beer to wine, but again, not too much. Also, please be sure you are not on a med that raises uric acid, as many people with gout also have high BP, and those thiazide diuretics are a big no-no with gout.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #17
(male)

diese HB User

ladybud, I appreciate all of your help. I dont mean to sound like a whiner but this gout stuff is just so hard to deal with and it's a big lifestyle change. I know that is how life goes but I guess it's just hard hitting.

I take 300 mg of allopurinol. I have avoided alcohol. I'm not sure what brought this attack on.

Last edited by diese; 08-02-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

The allopurinol can bring an attack on when you start it, and your Dr should have told you that. Sometimes people are put on 100mg a day, then gradually brought up to 300mg to prevent that, but in any case, be sure to take the anti-inflammatory with it and you might want to start with 1/2 tab of allopurinol a day for a week then go to a whole when you resume it. I think colchicine works the best to halt an attack, in 1-2 days. It is an oldie but goodie as far as drugs go. Maybe your Dr would call you in an RX for that. BTW how high was your uric acid level?

Old 08-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #19
(male)

diese HB User

I dont know how high my uric acid was. I didnt ask and they didnt tell me. I picked up my anti-inflammatory pills on Tuesday and my foot is getting better. This attack wasn't as bad as the first one.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #20
(male)

diese HB User

So I was reading that most people have gout through genetics and that it's not likely to be cured but that it may be able to be cured if it's not in the genes. I'm the only person in my family who has it. Does anyone on here believe I can get rid of it? I'm just having a real rough time here. It's just so hard to get information about the diet you have to follow and the medicine routine. I guess I expect there to be more knowledge out there. Gout must not be very widespread.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #21
(male)

diese HB User

ladybud, I need your guidance.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-07-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

There are lots of people with gout, so you have company, not that that is any consolation. There is a group of health problems that go hand in hand called metabolic syndrome. It is a combo of high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes and gout. You might want to research that. The dietary changes for gout will help you be healthier than ever and may prevent some of these associated problems in the future. Remember, it is excesses that get you in trouble, not any one item if in moderation. I'll post a shorter list of foods to avoid that may make it more doable for you. I think you are struggling with semantics when you split hairs between cure and control. If you have a tendency to gout, you will always have that tendency if the right circumstances exist to set it off. So control is the key word, whether that means diet control, medication or both. You can choose your control method as long as it prevents attacks, which is the goal.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

Animal organ meats (heart, kidneys, brain, tongue, liver)
Herring, mussels, sardines, anchovies, mackeral
Sweetbreads
Yeast breads, rolls, doughs
Mincemeat
Excess alcohol, beer worse than wine

If you can stay away from these altogether, that will be a good start. These are very high in purines, which breakdown into uric acid.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
diese (08-09-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #24
(male)

diese HB User

I should be able to stay away from most of that. The alcohol, yeast breads, rolls, and doughs will be the toughest. I've been back on my diet for a few weeks now. I was saying earlier it's hard to steer clear of meat but I haven't had any red meat since I got back on the diet. I have however had oven roasted chicken subs from Subway and Lean Cuisine bbq chicken pizzas.

I just wanted to say thanks ladybud.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-07-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #25
(male)

diese HB User

ladybud, I cant remember if I told you or not but I've had a flare up for the past couple days and I think I know what is causing it. I thought I was eating too much meat but I think it's because of my lasix. I just looked up the information on the one I take and it says that one of the side effects may be raised uric acid levels. I cant believe my doctor didnt pay attention to that.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

diese, my husband gets gout. Not nearly as many attacks as he once did get when he took drs scripts. Now when it flares we treat it without prescription meds. He's controlled gout for 10 years with about 1 attack every couple years except when he forgets himself and has more beer than he should. He pays for it for sure.
This is what he does to treat and avoid a gout flare.

vitamin C
during a flare 1,000 mg twice a day. half that for a maintenance dose

tart cherry fruit extract,
he uses a liquid concentrate and takes 2 tablespoons a day, during flare take 3tbsp

fish oils
1,000 mg 3 times a day

bromelain 500 mg three times a day between meals. this acts as an anti-inflammatory.

Meats that are low in fat are ok , but in moderation, 3-4 ounces of meat per serving. Limit shrimp and turkey to almost none. No deep fried foods, foods sauteed in a light olive oil are ok

Essential fatty acids. Avocados, fatty fish such as salmon and tuna, flaxseed, nuts and olive oil are excellent sources of unsaturated fat. In addition, essential fatty acids may help to ease the symptoms of gout because of their anti-inflammatory properties and could help lower uric acid.

Flush your system, drink 3 quarts of liquid daily all the time. Not just wen you are flaring.. It can be a combo of water, juices or tea

I hope this helps some.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #27
(male)

diese HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsWalker View Post
diese, my husband gets gout. Not nearly as many attacks as he once did get when he took drs scripts. Now when it flares we treat it without prescription meds. He's controlled gout for 10 years with about 1 attack every couple years except when he forgets himself and has more beer than he should. He pays for it for sure.
This is what he does to treat and avoid a gout flare.

vitamin C
during a flare 1,000 mg twice a day. half that for a maintenance dose

tart cherry fruit extract,
he uses a liquid concentrate and takes 2 tablespoons a day, during flare take 3tbsp

fish oils
1,000 mg 3 times a day

bromelain 500 mg three times a day between meals. this acts as an anti-inflammatory.

Meats that are low in fat are ok , but in moderation, 3-4 ounces of meat per serving. Limit shrimp and turkey to almost none. No deep fried foods, foods sauteed in a light olive oil are ok

Essential fatty acids. Avocados, fatty fish such as salmon and tuna, flaxseed, nuts and olive oil are excellent sources of unsaturated fat. In addition, essential fatty acids may help to ease the symptoms of gout because of their anti-inflammatory properties and could help lower uric acid.

Flush your system, drink 3 quarts of liquid daily all the time. Not just wen you are flaring.. It can be a combo of water, juices or tea

I hope this helps some.
Thanks for the reply. It helps a lot. Where do you guys get the cherry extract?

The alcohol, turkey, and shrimp hurt me the most. I also love to have a good hamburger every so often but I can do without it easier than the others I mentioned. This gout stuff is a real pain. I realize it's my fault but I just wish it were easier to handle.

Last edited by diese; 08-10-2012 at 07:06 AM.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

good morning diese, you can get tart cherry concentrate at any health food store, some markets carry it too. Or if you prefer it comes in pill form.

Go ahead and enjoy your burger, just make it a low fat cut like sirloin, a less than 10% fat grind and don't make a huge half pound burger. Don't over cook it or it'll be dry. He does just fine eating a slightly less than 1/3 pound burger now and then.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #29
(male)

diese HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsWalker View Post
good morning diese, you can get tart cherry concentrate at any health food store, some markets carry it too. Or if you prefer it comes in pill form.

Go ahead and enjoy your burger, just make it a low fat cut like sirloin, a less than 10% fat grind and don't make a huge half pound burger. Don't over cook it or it'll be dry. He does just fine eating a slightly less than 1/3 pound burger now and then.
Thanks. This gout stuff is really hard. I mean I know a lot of the information is available on the internet but a lot of it isnt. I have a hard time calling my doctor because the receptionist is a witch and they don't seem to like to get back to people very fast there. Ever since I've had gout I've been wondering why there hasn't been a cure and I think I just figured out why. I just read where only 2.1 million Americans have it. It's not a big enough problem for them to mess with.

Reply Reply