It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
(male)

diese HB User
Gout

I was recently diagnosed with gout and I have a question that I just cant seem to get answered. I'm curious to know why it cant be cured. I've looked online and havent found an answer and I asked a nurse yesterday who also didnt give me an answer. I feel like I may have a flare up and I haven't really eaten that much of anything so I dont really understand what the medicine I'm on for it is for. Thanks for any help.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Gout

Hello and welcome on board!

I am so sorry - Goat gives such tremendous pain. I never had this condition, but a guy in my office had it pretty often. To see very athletic, big and young guy limping with pain is not easy. I know what pain is and always feel bad for people who also experience pain in their lives.
She went to a very good DRs in NYC and also very disappointed since not much he can do just wait until flair goes away. It may take very long time, you know that, right?
I am a very big believer in homeopathic medicine; do you? If you interested, I can post for you what I know about self-helping strategies to help with Uric Acid in your system, thus helping you to shorten the time of flair.

Wishing you the best
Moldova

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
(male)

diese HB User

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm interested in hearing what you know about the self help strategies to keep uric acid levels down. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Gout is a metabolic disorder with hereditary tendencies. It can only be treated when it occurs, and prevented from flaring up by a variety of methods. It can be triggered by many things- medications, particulary thiazide diuretics (used often for high BP), trauma to a joint, alcohol excess, rich high protein foods, and certain foods. When a gout attack occurs, there are potent antiinflammatories that can be used to stop the attack. When the attack has subsided, meds can be used to prevent future attacks, as well as avoiding certain things in your diet. If you are on any meds, check to make sure they contain no thiazide diuretics. Gout can cause kidney stones as well as arthritis, so it needs to be controlled to keep uric acid levels below 5.5. You can get lists of foods to avoid online.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
(male)

diese HB User

ladybud, thanks for the reply. I've tried to find a good list of foods to avoid but unfortunately I've had bad luck. I don't think I have found two lists that are identical. Therefore I'm still confused as to what is good and bad.

So basically we haven't figured out why it cant be cured yet? It just seems by now there would be a way to get rid of it. My thought is that it's not a big enough problem for doctors/researchers to put the money and effort into.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

When you say cure it means go away and stay away. That is not the nature of gout. The attacks may go away, but there is always the chance it will flare up again given the right circumstances. There is lots of research going on right now, learning how to suppress the genes that trigger certain diseases, so in future they may be a way to keep it at bay by "turning off" the genes that cause it, but that is way down the road. If you are in the midst of an attack, I would ask your Dr for an RX for colchicine or Indocin. That will calm it down pretty quickly. Then, I'd rather take a pill a day (allopurinol) than suffer attacks unless you can successfully avoid those with diet alone. I'll see if I can find a list and cut and paste to you on post.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
(male)

diese HB User

I'm on allopurinol now but I'm in the middle of an attack as I type. I'm not sure what is causing it. I have barely eaten anything in the past couple weeks. I was hoping the meds would allow me to eat some of the bad items in moderation but apparently that isn't the case. Gout in my case isn't hereditary. I dont know anyone else in my family that has had it. It's just been brought on by excess eating in my case. I guess it's just frustrating. I'm pretty much not going to be allowed to eat anything. I know that is life but I really don't see how people with gout maintain composure.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Depending on when you started the allopurinol, you are either not on an adequate dose or it was started during an attack without colchicine or indocin. You need to call your Dr. to sort that out. I copied a food list from the Mayo Clinic site on gout. That site has other helpful info on it too, so you might want to look at that as well. Good luck.

To follow the diet:
Limit meat, poultry and fish. Animal proteins are high in purine. Avoid or severely limit high-purine foods, such as organ meats, herring, anchovies and mackerel. Red meat (beef, pork and lamb), fatty fish and seafood (tuna, shrimp, lobster and scallops) are associated with increased risk of gout. Because all meat, poultry and fish contain purines, limit your intake to 4 to 6 ounces (113 to 170 grams) daily.
Cut back on fat. Saturated fat lowers the body's ability to eliminate uric acid. Choosing plant-based protein, such as beans and legumes, and low-fat or fat-free dairy products will help you cut down the amount of saturated fat in your diet. High-fat meals also contribute to obesity, which is linked to gout.
Limit or avoid alcohol. Alcohol interferes with the elimination of uric acid from your body. Drinking beer, in particular, has been linked to gout attacks. If you're having an attack, avoid all alcohol. However, when you're not having an attack, drinking one or two 5-ounce (148-milliliter) servings a day of wine is not likely to increase your risk.
Limit or avoid foods sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup. Fructose is the only carbohydrate known to increase uric acid. It is best to avoid beverages sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup, such as soft drinks or juice drinks. Juices that are 100 percent fruit juice do not seem to stimulate uric acid production as much.
Choose complex carbohydrates. Eat more whole grains and fruits and vegetables and fewer refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, cakes and candy.
Choose low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Some studies have shown that low-fat dairy products can help reduce the risk of gout.

Drink plenty of fluids, particularly water. Fluids can help remove uric acid from your body. Aim for 8 to 16 glasses a day. A glass is 8 ounces (237 milliliter). There's also some evidence that drinking four to six cups of coffee a day lowers gout risk in men.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
(male)

diese HB User

Thanks for all of the help. It sounds like I have a long life ahead of me ducking and dodging a lot of the foods I enjoy. I know alcohol and food don't define life but it sure hurts to know that I cant have a beer with a friend or go out to eat at most restaurants with friends and family. Really makes me wish I would have stuck with my diet and exercise regimen last year.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
(male)

diese HB User

I'm in the middle of a gout attack now so do I only take the anti-inflammatory or do I take my allopurinol also?

So where does a person with gout get their protein? I'm never going to be able to live like this.

Last edited by diese; 08-01-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
(male)

NiceLadPaul HB User

Nope don't take your allopurinol while having a gout attack you need painkilling tablets ie Decflnecks or something simular. I've been doing abit of research myself its just not ankle's and big toe you can get it i have read that people can get it in there hands and mouth depending on there circumstances but i was wonderin how can it get in your fingers cause i bet thats painfull as i know when i have a gout attack it feels like ive broken a bone in me foot but havent.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
(male)

diese HB User

How do I know when to start taking the allopurinol again? It seems to be useless but I just cant live like this. I cant go the rest of my life without eating meat or seafood again.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
(male)

NiceLadPaul HB User

when you know you can walk probblay and your not in pain with the fected area of gout

Old 08-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
(male)

diese HB User

This is just too hard to deal with. I'm never going to be able to control this. The information is just too hard to get and the diet is just too hard for me to follow. What happens to me if I keep having attacks? I mean in the long run. Thanks

Old 08-02-2012, 04:37 AM   #15
(male)

NiceLadPaul HB User

Most of the time for me its great because the allourinol controls the acid levels in my body and controls the gout attacks but when i do have a gout attack i always make sure i have decflenexs with me there the best painkilling tablets i have. so long as your on allournioal or other name brand tablets to control the uric acid levels in your body you should be ok not get many. How my started was through bursting Blister skin on 3 different occason it happened my foot would swell and be in agony then the doctors had me in for blood test and it came out that i had gout. My point is with you the doctors said its because i have to much protein the thing is i dont know what is to much proten i have few cups of tea with milk probblay i have rice for savory rice for dinner maybe cooked tea. So i'm not actually sure what is 2 much protein

Reply Reply