It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
(female)

Nellie4911 HB User
Do I have RA?

I'm 17 years old and a senior in high school. I'm in the band and marching band and play clarinet, tenor, and flute.

Several months ago I went to the orthopedic for wrist pain and they would crack when I twisted them and he said I have tendinitis in both my wrists and gave me some medicine and left it at that.

A couple months ago, I felt like the medicine stopped working and I was starting to feel pain all over. I would be stiff in the morning and my knuckles would be so swollen I couldn't put rings on. It hurt my knees to go up and down stairs and my ankles to walk up slopes.

Now, it has gotten really bad though. I am practicing for my audition for all-state band and I can not hold my clarinet with out a neckstrap (extremely embarrassing). And even with a neckstrap my wrists will progressively start to ache and will spread up my arms. When I play my technical piece my knuckles hurt.

My knees and ankles hurt a lot, especially during matching practice and it seems on rainy days that they tend to hurt and crack more

So is this arthritis? Tendinitis? A combination of the two? Im actually going to the rhuematologist in two weeks to get this checked out but I'm really nervous.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Do I have RA?

You need a complete symptom review by your Primary Care Physician/Internal Med, Orthopedic Surgeon, Physical Therapists and possibly a Rheumatologist. There may be tests like x-rays and blood tests.

Tendinitis and bursitis can be very difficult to treat as frequently they are due to repeated overuse of a part of the body, not using the right body mechanics, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
(female)

Nellie4911 HB User

Thank you, and yes I know I need to get tests done, but I was looking for was more of a confirmation that RA is a possibility or not

Old 09-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Unfortunately no way to tell without testing. Could he RA, could be osteoarthritis, could be over use or chronic tendinitis /bursitis or many other possibilities. Scary I know, but forge ahead and push for careful testing and diagnosis.

Reply Reply

Tags
arthritis, rhuematoid arthritis, tendonitis