It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
(female)

dgarafa1 HB Userdgarafa1 HB Userdgarafa1 HB Userdgarafa1 HB User
Re: Severe basal joint arthritis - surgery 9/11/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
There's nothing I can't hold. A glass, a pitcher, a baby's hand, a hammer, a screwdriver, a suitcase, etc. If piano is your hobby, it will take time to refine your technique. Talk to a Occupational Therapist (hand therapist) to discuss your post-op goals.
great! thanks, you did mean that you CAN hold all those things? Piano is my career, not a hobby is why I am doing research

Old 12-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #17
(female)

OhioQuilter HB User

Hi. Chiming in here. Not sure if you have read any of my posts on this site but I too have had both thumbs operated on. Right now I'm 4 weeks plus one day post op after having my right thumb surgery. I had the left thumb done 17 months ago. After the left hand surgery and my hand had completely healed, I could do everything I did before but pain-free! I'm thrilled with my results and looking forward to when my right hand is finally healed, and I'm a new woman! Hoping to have excellent results when I have my left knee replaced next year - but that's far in the future. I'm just taking care of my right hand for now. Good luck with the piano business after you have surgery!

The following user gives a hug of support to OhioQuilter:
dgarafa1 (12-05-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to OhioQuilter For This Useful Post:
dgarafa1 (12-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #18
(female)

Thank you so much for the information. All I was getting is bad results. Do you think only the bad results are in the web site? or they didn't do their physical therapy? I guess I should have it done----you did have the trapezium removed? please let me know as that is much different then the people who can keep that bone. thanks, Donna

Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #19
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I had rt hand done 9/11 and lt done 12/4. I head to the doctor today for my first post op. He puts me in a soft cast for 10 days then a hard cast for 2 wk. The day the hard cast is removed I head over to hand therapy, they make me a splint and I schedule my fist therapy appointment. I did have the bone removed, the procedure is basal thumb joint arthroplasty. Because I have chronic pain issues (spine and other joints) I'm regularly on pain meds. So my surgeon works with an anesthesiologist who inserts a nerve sheath catheter near my shoulder. It is the nerve block for the surgery (they also put me under), but they keep me 2 nights to keep my arm numb since it would take lots of dilauded to alleviate pain. By the time I was discharged that difficult post op pain you usually have the first 2 days after any kind of joint surgery has been avoided. I did very well the first 3 days home, but then I was overusing my hand that had just been operated on, so it took 2 days of me forcing myself to do nothing to feel better.

My rt hand surgery went well so I did the lt hand. I'm the kind of patient who has a hard time not using my hand do that helped speed up my recovery. I have 2 store bought thumb braces I'll still use on occasion, when soreness occurs. Surgeon said that's fine and a good idea to remind myself not to over do hand activities.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #20
(female)

Does it work as it did before? Strength?

Old 12-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #21
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I'm getting back to full strength, it will take a while. Occasionally there's maybe a Jar top I can't grasp with enough strength to get it to turn but that will come with time. That's a the only time I notice any strength issues. My Occupational Therapist (hand therapy) gave me good at-home exercises with a thera-band and some thera-putty. And I have 1 and 2 pound hand weights which I have home exercises for as well. My FIL passed away in May and I already knew I was having hand surgery in the Fall so I took the hand weights he must have used for some type of home exercises.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #22
(female)

Did you get at least as much range of motion as you had before the surgery? in the already disabled condition?

Old 01-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertea View Post
dgarafa 1 I just accepted your friend request. Tried to send you a message personally but I wasn't able to. Do you have questions? I had combined carpal tunnel/basal joint surgery on my left hand Feb/2012 and right hand June/2012. Same surgery you are thinking of....removal of the trapezium and ligament transfer. I was also bone on bone.
yes, what was your outcome? I'm a pianist and need to know if I will be able to play like I do now with the condition. Do you have all your strength back, at least as much as you had with the condition?

Old 01-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #24
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarafa1 View Post
yes, what was your outcome? I'm a pianist and need to know if I will be able to play like I do now with the condition. Do you have all your strength back, at least as much as you had with the condition?
I had my left hand done a year ago(in February) and my right in June. My left hand is probably 75-80% better. I still have some trouble with gripping with my thumb and forefinger in the right hand. I'm probably not the best to use as a comparison. I also have Dupuytrans Contracture and that may be a factor in getting my strength back.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #25
(female)

kss53 HB User

I had posted a few months ago, as I am also a pianist (& teacher) and have debated having this surgery because I don't want to lose what mobility I have. Have you decided to have the surgery? Previously I had read about some bad results, extremely long recovery, etc. and sort of backed off. Today I've read some encouraging success stories, so am reconsidering.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #26
(female)

Question Re: Severe basal joint arthritis - surgery 9/11/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kss53 View Post
I had posted a few months ago, as I am also a pianist (& teacher) and have debated having this surgery because I don't want to lose what mobility I have. Have you decided to have the surgery? Previously I had read about some bad results, extremely long recovery, etc. and sort of backed off. Today I've read some encouraging success stories, so am reconsidering.
Please let me know what you find out. I was thinking of calling a college music dept. surely old piano professors may have dealth with this

Old 02-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #27
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioQuilter View Post
Hi. Chiming in here. Not sure if you have read any of my posts on this site but I too have had both thumbs operated on. Right now I'm 4 weeks plus one day post op after having my right thumb surgery. I had the left thumb done 17 months ago. After the left hand surgery and my hand had completely healed, I could do everything I did before but pain-free! I'm thrilled with my results and looking forward to when my right hand is finally healed, and I'm a new woman! Hoping to have excellent results when I have my left knee replaced next year - but that's far in the future. I'm just taking care of my right hand for now. Good luck with the piano business after you have surgery!
Thanks for the encouragement! Maybe the key is an excellent dr

Old 02-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #28
(female)

margarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB User

I agree-an excellent doctor is one of the keys to success. When the surgeon who has done 4 surgeries for me said he really liked doing thumbs I had no hesitation in setting a surgery date rather than seek out a hand surgeon. He happens to be a brilliant surgeon and I trust him.

I think it is also important to have the surgery at the point that the pain gets to the unrelenting level and not let your hand go out of fear until you have lost too much strength and everything has shifted out of place as your hand tries to compensate for the bad joint. I have seen hands like that, and although the surgery relieves the pain, the function has already been compromised.

I am now a week away from starting to wean off the brace. In two weeks of therapy I have back the end joint ROM completely and the second one is almost there. My wrist has almost full ROM as well. Next week I will be able to start moving the repaired basal joint. Then another few weeks to wait to start strengthening. I fully expect to get back everything because I didn't wait until my hand was weak.

I hope you hear from your pianist professors soon and you get the information you need to help in this difficult decision.

Margarita

The Following User Says Thank You to margarita889 For This Useful Post:
dgarafa1 (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #29
(female)

Thanks you---your story sounds positive to me. My thumb already looks deformed, sticks out of my wrist----I may have to make a decision soon!

Reply Reply