It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
(male)

RheoBlair HB User
Depomedrol Injection

I have tennis elbow and sustained a tendon inury from training heavy. I was injected with a 80 mg depomedrol shot 8 weeks ago and came back for a second three weeks ago. I had injured my tendon and the inflammation has been around for a year because mainly I tried to solve it with sea mussel and other products which reduced inflammation. I have only been injured twice in the 40 years I trained, which the sports medicine doctor said was great. It is healing well.

The questions are how long do these depomedrol shots last because some say 28 days and other say six weeks, so it is confusing. Also should I stop training to allow a full recovery. I found it is better if I do this because I started training after three weeks, which slowed down the healing and actually may have aggravated the tendon. I got the second shot three weeks and found it seems to heal better if I dont train

Last edited by RheoBlair; 09-20-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Depomedrol Injection

Since everyone responds differently and the amount of inflammation differs 4-6 weeks duration is the average time the injection lasts, and the effect can last longer if you avoid the activity that causes the inflammation. So I would hold off on training, and when you restart do your training with a tennis elbow strap on, the kind with a "bubble" to prevent movement and renewed inflammation of the tendon.

Last edited by ladybud; 09-20-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: correction

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
(male)

RheoBlair HB User

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes it seems to better if I stop training. Like I had said I have been training heavy for years with no injuries. I think once the inflammation is gone and I start training, the tendon will respond and get stronger. The Sports Medicine DR had told me that I must have done something right in all these years. I had talked to him about the strap on as I have weightlifters friends that have big problems. However he though mine was simply a case of overwork and once the inflammation is gone, I should be fine. I have no histories of tennis elbow and this is the first time

Last edited by RheoBlair; 09-20-2012 at 10:25 AM.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
(male)

ShadNuke HB User

Personally, I've suffered with tennis elbow for over a year. It's something that takes a real long time to heal because you constantly use your arm. As for depomedrol, I have never had any relief from it, so is great that you can get some relief. It can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks or a few months. In the meantime, get a tennis elbow brace, and give the Voltaren Emulgel a shot. I find it works wonders. Being a rheumatoid arthritis sufferer, I try anything I can to be pain free! Good luck!

Kevin.

Last edited by ShadNuke; 09-20-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: phone hates sending correct spelling!

Reply Reply