It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
(female)

Mimi2008 HB UserMimi2008 HB User
Foot pain

Is Pain in the arch of the foot a common RA problem?

Old 09-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
(female)

Re: Foot pain

O'K that was a short question. I was just diagnosed with RA after a year of being told I had Erosive Inflammatory Osteoarthritis. Took all the meds Dmards. Biologics, and now getting ready to start Remicaid. I mostly have pain in my hands, wrists, fingers, toes and feet. The weird cramping on the inside of my arch is fairly new. Hurts like heck usually when I am lying down. Anyone else have this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Could be plantar fasciitis. Have you checked into that?

Old 09-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
(female)

No, but I will. Thanks.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
(female)

blessedtobeme HB Userblessedtobeme HB User

Hi Mimi. I was just recently diagnosed with RA and I have had cramps in my arch for months. I have Raynauds, too, much worse in my feet than my hands. So I'm interested in whether it is indicative of RA, also. I haven't even been treated yet, other than them changing my blood pressure meds from beta blocker to calcium channeler. I am not looking forward to the meds, some of them are as bad as the disease, I read. But I am getting bumps on my hands, elbows and knees. Just starting . . .

Old 09-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedtobeme View Post
Hi Mimi. I was just recently diagnosed with RA and I have had cramps in my arch for months. I have Raynauds, too, much worse in my feet than my hands. So I'm interested in whether it is indicative of RA, also. I haven't even been treated yet, other than them changing my blood pressure meds from beta blocker to calcium channeler. I am not looking forward to the meds, some of them are as bad as the disease, I read. But I am getting bumps on my hands, elbows and knees. Just starting . . .
Hi Blessedtobeme, I'm trying to sort all this out too. I was told I have RA and fibromyalgia. Rheumy is treating both. Cymbalta for the fibro (just upped the dose from 60 to 120 mg) and tramadol for both. He has tried several meds for the RA. Last one was Enbrel injections and I had an allergic reaction. Now waiting on insurance approval for Remicaid IV therapy.
I'm so confused because my blood test were negative, I have very little swelling and no nodules or bumps except at the base of my fingers. He based his diagnosis on x-rays of my hands and feet and the amount of pain I'm having. It hurts my toes and forefront of my feet when I walk. My hands hurt just using them, like typing, holding things etc. Basically I have widespread pain that makes it difficult to do anything without the pain.
So I ask myself do I really have RA or am I just trying to deny it. Going crazy!

Old 09-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
(female)

I can't believe how alike our symptoms are. I have an body extremity ultrasound that showed no erosion yet, but the synovial lining was thickened already, so the tech said it is early on in my toes. I have pain in the pad of my feet that the raynauds aggravates.

My RF factor was negative but the new test CCP was a weak positive. My aldolase, cpk, AST, ALT are all elevated but not highly. I think it was the Raynauds that started everything along with fatigue and all-over pain.

I use a computer, too, all day and it is really getting difficult. I take Cymbalta, too, but for depression and pain because I was struggling with the symptoms that are invisible to all around me but making me wonder if I was going crazy.

I hope you keep in touch, seems we have some stuff in common. Sharon

Last edited by blessedtobeme; 09-22-2012 at 10:39 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to blessedtobeme:
Mimi2008 (09-22-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi2008 View Post
Hi Blessedtobeme, I'm trying to sort all this out too. I was told I have RA and fibromyalgia. Rheumy is treating both. Cymbalta for the fibro (just upped the dose from 60 to 120 mg) and tramadol for both. He has tried several meds for the RA. Last one was Enbrel injections and I had an allergic reaction. Now waiting on insurance approval for Remicaid IV therapy.
I'm so confused because my blood test were negative, I have very little swelling and no nodules or bumps except at the base of my fingers. He based his diagnosis on x-rays of my hands and feet and the amount of pain I'm having. It hurts my toes and forefront of my feet when I walk. My hands hurt just using them, like typing, holding things etc. Basically I have widespread pain that makes it difficult to do anything without the pain.
So I ask myself do I really have RA or am I just trying to deny it. Going crazy!
MIMI,
good advice: please do yourself a favor and see couple more opinions but in different area than your resent doctor practices that new doctors don't know him. Make sure you have all your x-rays, reports with you. This is so important since so many false diagnoses put people in unnecessary risk of taking drugs they don't need. It took me 5 years and many RA doctors to finally get the right diagnoses. And so many people went through same thing; be careful.
You can like your DR, you can trust your DR - this is all good, but always remember that too many mistakes made to just put all your eggs in same basket.
Best wishes to you
Moldova

Old 09-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
(female)

Thanks Moldova, My rheumy was highly recommended by others. I had a discussion with him about my concerns and said it would not bother him at all if I got another opinion. So I am working on that. Thanks again.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
(female)

Mimi,

Thanks for the support hug. How long did it take them to make an RA diagnosis? What kind of tests did they take into consideration? Did the pain come on quickly or slowly? Do you have damage/erosion or were they able to stem the damage before it occurred? I hope that is the case for you. Did you start with a GP or go right to a Rheumatologist? Are you still able to work?

I'm sorry if this is too many questions, I just don't know where else to get the answers.

Sharon

Old 09-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
(female)

Hi Sharon, I went to my PCP first in Sept. 2011, for pain and some swelling in my hands and feet. Blood test were neg for RA. Sent me to Rheumatologist. He did x-rays and said they showed erosions in my fingers and toes. Diagnosed me with Erosive Inflammatory Osteoarthritis. Started on meloxicam, then arava, plaqunil next, then Humira, next Enbrel. Allergic reaction to Enbrel. No improvement on any of the others. The pain just got worse and moved into several other joints. Not much swelling or redness to speak of. Now a year later he has diagnosed me with RA and we are trying Remicade IV Therapy next month. I keep having a denial and so spoke to the nurse today and she said that my doctor is 100 % I have RA. Though not agressive at this time. Hopefully a treatment will work and it will stop progression (remission).

The following user gives a hug of support to Mimi2008:
Phoenix (09-27-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
(female)

I can't believe I forgot the horrible fatigue I've been dealing with for several years. Even at work I would have to go in another room and lay down a few times a day. There are other things that I have since put two and two together And now know they weren't right. Like Raynauld's syndrome and pain after working out, etc. Two years ago I took early retirement to help with my grandson a couple days a week. Now I have two grandsons and they wear me out.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
(female)

Wow, it is no wonder you feel like you are going crazy. So many meds in so little time. I understand the desire to relieve pain, however, I hate the fatigue even more. So you do have Raynauds, also? I find that the calcium channeler made a huge difference in my pain and flares, so I am grateful for that. I worry that I won't be to work much longer if this gets worse.

My husband is retired and we have 29 grandkids. I know that is hard to believe but we have 7 boys.

Do you believe your stress level has something to do with the disease's progression? If so, maybe my stress level will decrease. One of my boys is an F-16 pilot and just came home yesterday from Afghanistan.

I thought Remicade was a Crohn's medicine. Thanks, so much for the info and sharing your story. Sharon

The following user gives a hug of support to blessedtobeme:
Phoenix (09-27-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
(female)

Sharon, well you are blessed with all those wonderful grandchildren! I'm Happy your son is home safe. I think when you have a mystery illness we all go a little crazy trying to figure out what it could be. No, I really don't think stress played into it, but stress never helps. How were you diagnosed, symptoms, etc?

Old 09-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
(female)

When I think back to what I think started this, I had pneumonia back in January 2011, took me about 6 weeks to get over it. Two months later, I was hit by a horrible, debilitating fatigue and muscle pains. It woke me up, kept me awake, and made me feel stupid at work. I went to my pcp and she did blood work which showed my cpk levels were creeping up. Not fast and not a huge amount. Liver enzymes were, and still, are creeping slowly but surely. She then ordered an EMG 6 months into the symptoms. I had been fairly active before this, gardening, chasing after grandkids, swimming. My pcp started making me feel like I was imagining things when I kept insisting things were not right and asking for more referrals. I think in retrospect, it was very early on and I was just super-sensitive to changes. Saw a neuro who told me I had a tremor and to come back if it got worse.

Coming into the winter with doubts about sanity and living with the gray Michigan weather took me to a low point which is when I was put on the Cymbalta. Shortly after I switched PCPs and the new one (has only seen me once) referred me to the Rheumatologist. It took six months to get in and she ordered all kinds of things, bloodwork, ultrasounds, xrays, 2nd EMG and now muscle biopsy. She said something strange, when she walked in and met me the first time. She said, there is definately something going on, you smell funny. Not bad funny, cause I laughed. Like she could diagnose me just by that smell. Strange.

Sorry so long. By the way, do you have any lung involvement. Like shortness of breath?
Thanks for listening, Mimi.

Reply Reply