It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
(male)

achillez16 HB User
Dr prescribed Prednison ?

Hi ,

I have been having knee swelling and stiffness for the past 3 months and my doctor has prescribed me Prednisone 10mg for 10 days in tapering doses.

He thinks it is auto immune , but still isnt sure which one.

He said he wanted to check if the Prednisone works on me.

My question is - Does prednisone only work on auto immune , in that case my diagnosis will be confirmed.

How long does the effect of prednisone last

will my inflammation come back after the steroids stop ?

Old 10-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Dr prescribed Prednison ?

I had numerous knee surgeries, now i need knee replacement.
I have been on Prednison many times for my knees problem and for many other issues.
No, Prednisone is not prescribed only to patients with auto-immune conditions, it can be prescribed when any type of inflammation or infection occur. It helps everyone, not necessarily only for people with a-immune problems. For people with chronic conditions, like your knee for example, and many other chronic conditions, Prednisone doesn't last long. Often, it can be prescribed over and over. Most Doctors very careful about Rx any steroids, they may bring other health issues, but for short term it can be helpful. How long? All depends on your condition and how serious it is.
Even though I have few serious auto-immune conditions, Prednisone has been prescribed to me only when flair is so bad that I can't move. For only temporarily relieve.

Honestly, I never heard of diagnosing auto-immune disease by Rx Prednisone. It diagnosed by many tests, mostly by specific blood work.
Takes pretty long time for some people to be diagnosed, and based on my experience, it takes a lot more than just a swollen and painful knee to have any auto-immune disease. My advise: make sure you confirm your diagnoses with couple doctors in different areas (where they don't know each other).

Best of luck to you
Moldova

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
arthirits, predinsone, rheumatoid arthritis