It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #16
(female)

margarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB User
Smile Re: Arthritis at 41?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy06 View Post
I am 39 and will be having surgery for arthritis on my hand next week. About a year ago, I was having pain in my hands so bad that it hurt to drive or hold a coffee cup. The Dr ran a bunch of blood tests and they all came back normal. About 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with fibromyalsia, but never treated for that b/c most drs did not believe in that particular "disease". It was called the "woman's excuse for pain". I still have pains in my neck, shoulders, back and knees. I am on celebrex once a day, but usually take an extra 2-3 tylenol. I WISH YOU TONS OF LUCK! Hope you have great doctors.
Hi there Cassidy,
I have had fibro for over 20 years and there are some things you can do for it. One that I feel has made a terrific difference is regular deep tissue massage (not the spa fluff and buff!). My massage therapist works out the knots in my muscles and over the course of time they are permanently gone. The muscles will tighten again, but they can be loosened. You might want to look at your celebrex as well. I don't know what your dosage is, but you might want to talk about upping the dosage instead of combining two different medications. I also found that dividing the dose morning and evening gave me better coverage-no miserable dip in the later part of the day.

What surgery are you having done? There are a couple of people who are having thumb surgery this week and I will be having it on the 20th. Perhaps we can band together for support. When I had my partial knee in February there were two other women with the same surgery at the same time and we shared the good and bad as the days went on during recovery.

Good luck on your surgery. I will pray for you.

Margarita

The following user gives a hug of support to margarita889:
Cassidy06 (12-06-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to margarita889 For This Useful Post:
Cassidy06 (12-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #17
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User
Re: Arthritis at 41?

Well, the rheumatologist said I have fibromyalgia and he didn't think I had arthritis at all. He didn't actually look at the xrays himself even though I got them for him, he just read the report from my orthopedist. I've got an order for blood tests but I haven't had time to get them done yet. But I never thought I had rheumatoid arthritis in the first place - I don't have any of the symptoms of RA. The orthopedist said I had arthritis in my hips and back, which I assume is early osteo. I had an MRI on my knee this afternoon, and I've got to get my back done in a few months, but my back's actually doing a lot better this week. It's my hip that's bothering me now.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #18
(female)

Calamity77 HB User

My doctors are unclear as to whether I have a developing auto-immune condition (ie Rheumatoid arthritis or lupus) or whether I have osteo-arthritis and tendonitis. My blood tests show positive to lupus but I do not have all the classic symptoms of lupus. Fingers crossed it is not lupus. I have been given the option of starting a drug which treats auto-immune conditions but at this stage I have opted for 6 hourly doses of Panadol Ostea and anti-inflammatories. Time will tell whether these pain relief options will last in the long term and if the condition continues to progress. I have been having symptoms for over a year now.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:40 AM   #19
(female)

Cassidy06 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by margarita889 View Post
Hi there Cassidy,
I have had fibro for over 20 years and there are some things you can do for it. One that I feel has made a terrific difference is regular deep tissue massage (not the spa fluff and buff!). My massage therapist works out the knots in my muscles and over the course of time they are permanently gone. The muscles will tighten again, but they can be loosened. You might want to look at your celebrex as well. I don't know what your dosage is, but you might want to talk about upping the dosage instead of combining two different medications. I also found that dividing the dose morning and evening gave me better coverage-no miserable dip in the later part of the day.

What surgery are you having done? There are a couple of people who are having thumb surgery this week and I will be having it on the 20th. Perhaps we can band together for support. When I had my partial knee in February there were two other women with the same surgery at the same time and we shared the good and bad as the days went on during recovery.

Good luck on your surgery. I will pray for you.

Margarita

Thank you Margarita!
I am having thumb basal joint fusion surgery on my left hand. I am not looking forward to it at all! It would be great to band together. This site has already helped me out so much. Thank you for your support!
Cassie

Old 12-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #20
(female)

margarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB User

Hi Cassidy,
I'll be looking forward to hearing about your successful surgery soon. I know I will need to wait a few days(unless you are a good one handed typist), but hearing from you soon will definitely make me less anxious.

Good healing

Margarita

Reply Reply