It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
(female)

xnovalentine HB User
Stiff and Achy

I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis when I was 22 years old, which was about 4 years ago. Since then, I have had a good grip on my arthritis and have returned to a pretty much normal life and am no longer on any medications. I was on methotrexate and prednisone, but without having any insurance I just couldnt afford it anymore and I had to stop. I consider myself to be EXTREMELY lucky that despite my financial situation, my arthritis was pretty much under control when I had to stop medications.

In may I had a terrible flare. I had a flare up in my spine and I was unable to move and had a horrific reminder as to what my life was like before I knew that it was arthritis when my cousin had to pick me up and carry me into the doctors office. I was prescribed prednisone again, and my symptoms were under control within a month and life returned back to normal.

Since then I like to remain relatively active. I do not wish to take my pain free life for granted. I know one day, it will happen again and as I get older I know it will not be so easy to just pop a pill and return to my life.

Lately I've been experiencing aches and stiffness. Not like before, when I flared up. Just annoying, but tolerable aches and stiffness in my fingers, ankles, and back. I go to the gym 2-3x a week and I notice it when I'm trying to run. I can push through it but like i said, its annoying and I have that little speck of fear in me thats afraid of possibly pushing myself too far and triggering a flare.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to something I can do to relieve the stiffness and aches? I find that regular tylenol or aleve doesn't help me much. I use a heating pad whenever possible. But you can't really use it at the gym!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
(female)

MISSAMYJO HB User
Re: Stiff and Achy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnovalentine View Post
I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis when I was 22 years old, which was about 4 years ago. Since then, I have had a good grip on my arthritis and have returned to a pretty much normal life and am no longer on any medications. I was on methotrexate and prednisone, but without having any insurance I just couldnt afford it anymore and I had to stop. I consider myself to be EXTREMELY lucky that despite my financial situation, my arthritis was pretty much under control when I had to stop medications.

In may I had a terrible flare. I had a flare up in my spine and I was unable to move and had a horrific reminder as to what my life was like before I knew that it was arthritis when my cousin had to pick me up and carry me into the doctors office. I was prescribed prednisone again, and my symptoms were under control within a month and life returned back to normal.

Since then I like to remain relatively active. I do not wish to take my pain free life for granted. I know one day, it will happen again and as I get older I know it will not be so easy to just pop a pill and return to my life.

Lately I've been experiencing aches and stiffness. Not like before, when I flared up. Just annoying, but tolerable aches and stiffness in my fingers, ankles, and back. I go to the gym 2-3x a week and I notice it when I'm trying to run. I can push through it but like i said, its annoying and I have that little speck of fear in me thats afraid of possibly pushing myself too far and triggering a flare.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to something I can do to relieve the stiffness and aches? I find that regular tylenol or aleve doesn't help me much. I use a heating pad whenever possible. But you can't really use it at the gym!
If you want to try a few things that are not medicine here are three I know about and have used:
1) Apple cidar vinegar. Look on the site Earth Clinic for testimonials. It is best to get Bragg brand which has "The Mother" in it (I know, weird, whatever that is). Different ways to take it. I just take a shot glass and put a bit in, drink it quick or I put it in tomato juice with some hot sauce and Worchestershire (sp). It starts to work quickly but you have to do this a number of times a day. However, it can't hurt you. There are lots of other things ACV helps with too including allergies..
2. L-Carnitine: I used this for something else but am about to pick some more up today. Again, you can add it to arthritis in a Google search and get some stuff on that.
3) Cod liver oil: I am not as enthusiastic about this but my sis researched that and it may help a bit. I am still undecided about this.. Good luck! amy

Old 02-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
(female)

jocelyn7035 HB User
Re: Stiff and Achy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnovalentine View Post

To manage the pains caused due to Psoriatic Arthritis you can use heating pads, exercise a little for better stretching of the muscles and ligaments and lower the stress levels, also making sure to maintain an adequate body weight. Also you can go for some massage therapy. Have you tried for acupuncture treatment? They do also play a pivotal role in relieving the pain.

Reply Reply